UKBouldering.com

Rest days (Read 1490 times)

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
Rest days
January 29, 2010, 09:41:28 am
So I've been off climbing for the last four days to give the body a bit of a rest. I'm planning on hitting the Peaks tomorrow and want to be climbing strong. In my experience four or five days off here and there can be a good thing but would a cheeky session down at the wall today be a good idea? Should I just rest out for another day and expect to be climbing better than if I had gone today, tomorrow? Cheers

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Rest days
January 29, 2010, 09:45:27 am
Nibs has reported finding good results from having a short but intense session (finishing feeling not worked) the day before, after a rest period, to wake the body up..
Me, I spend so much time 'resting' I wouldn't acutally know how to wake my body up...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#2 Re: Rest days
January 29, 2010, 09:45:39 am
I reckon a short 1 hour session is the answer doing some nice mileage on a circuit of problems below your limit. it seems to work well for me if I have rested the previous 3-4 days.

I usually avoid resting more than 2 days if possible as it always take a while to get going after 3 rest days (feeling slow then feeling fairly strong for an hour before burning out fast). Not sure if this is the case with anyone else  :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Rest days
January 29, 2010, 10:19:29 am
For me, skin is always the limiting factor for big outdoor days, so unless my skin was in perfect nick I would not bother doing anything today. However doing a circuit of probs always seems to work your skin less than working a single prob for a sustained periods, so itd epends what you plan doing in the Peak tomorrow surely?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Rest days
January 29, 2010, 11:12:03 am
yes,
i think 4 or 5 days off are quite a long time. i'd do a brief session the day before, mostly to feel wow the climbing is. if you're fine, push very hard for a very brief session and stop super fresh and gain confidence for the following day.
i think it also depends on why you took 5 days off, you were knackered, you were a bit injured, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal