UKBouldering.com

New online Boulering guide to Southern Sandstone (Read 9262 times)

the_loz

• Rock climbing courses
I am currently making a guide to the outcrops of South East England. I have completed Bowles Rocks and Stonefarm with High Rocks and Harrisons on the way.

Any photos or problems would be great.

Check out the work so far at http://www.mountain-trips.co.uk/. Its in the extras section. I am also looking to get of links from other websites to boost the google ranking so please help if you can.

thanks

Loz

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Front cover shot?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
It's a start, but I'd suggest you need to do a fair bit more work.
Individual problem descriptions and grades would be better than a coloured line.  The lines themselves could be much better if you use a proper graphics package.
It would be nice to have a PDF download.

Check out some of the UKB offerings for ideas or have a look at this:

richie0210

• regular
Isn't the traverse of the fandango wall (tobacco road/nicotine alley) normally done from right to left rather than left to right as it suggests by the arrows in your pic? I maybe wrong :-[

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Type Southern Sandstone- The Hard Routes in to Facebook search. All the info you can eat on there.

Ps I'm more of a fan of Font grades for bouldering rather than Uk tech. I also feel a grade per route rather than a coloured line would be better, but I guess thats why your after the info.......

Rabies

• regular
 :agree:

Why just not make a proper mini guide similar to that of any bouldering guide out there.  Give each line a separate Font grade as suggested, as southern sandstone equates fairly well to Font given that it's the same rock! Cannot believe you are using English tech grades Loz! :)

richie0210

• regular
 :thumbsup:  Another thumbs up for font grades when bouldering

the_loz

• Rock climbing courses
Ok, I will change themto font grades and add them next to the coloured line. I choose it UK tech as it was easy and I have not climbed in font for a couple of years so was not confident that I could grade all the problems fairly. I am sure that if I get some thing wrong I will get told.

I will also add some text where needed but I feel that a photo if more than enough 90% of the time.

As for the trav on fandango wall - it goes either way depending which way you want to do it. I made it left to right as it fits with the low level traverse of the crag.

Thanks for the tips.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
The Bowles crag traverse is historic choss, you pretty much walk some sections like under Cardbord Box, where as the the Nicotine alley traverse is a classic right to left line.

I'm not dissing you at all, bon effort on doing a toppo.. Seems like no one can get the sandy stuff right, not enough stuff in the CC guide, the Jingo a bit elimanate. I'm just glad I have spent enough time there not to need to worry that much.

the_loz

• Rock climbing courses
Hi kinda agree.

If you have spent alot of time on the sandstone no bouldering guide will be able to beat the amount of problems that you are able to come up with.

The Nicotene ally is a classic right to left so I will add some text to the topo. Yet I still feel its a great problem both ways. Right to left is more strength endurance and left to right is more powerfull. Its your choice.

As for the Bowles traverse being choss, I think you are completly wrong. Its a link up of some classic traverse lines such as Orr Trav, Nicotine alley, the section under target  (one of the best problems on the crag), keeping low on (as the topo shows) on Fragile wall and Funnel area makes the trav a very hard prospect. The ONE easy section underneath the over hang is a very welcome break after completing the section under Sapper (also a good problem).

Anyway, as long as we are climbing and having fun, each to their own and all.

Ta

pete b

• regular
What about Eridge Green. Probably the best bouldering after Bowles.

richie0210

• regular
Eridge green is soft and fragile, hardly any potential for further hard bouldering with out smaller holds breaking.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
What about Eridge Green. Probably the best bouldering after Bowles.

Ever been to High Rocks?????????? Think it's better than both of the above.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal