UKBouldering.com

Coffee machines (Read 19605 times)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 11:47:34 am
So I have been looking at treating myself to a coffee machine, I just use a cafetiere at the mo.

However looking at the range of available machines and prices, it's a minefield. I was thinking of paying around the £100 - 150 mark, but the prices look like they go up to around a grand and above...

Anybody have any recommendations - can I get a decent enough machine in my price range? It must be able to take ground coffee, I don't fancy those pod things...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 11:51:14 am

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#2 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 11:54:45 am
Cheers Chris - I read through that but half the links didn't seem to work and it seemed to be mostly about grinders, hence the new topic. I already have a coffee grinder  ;D

Ta

Dolly

• forum hero
#3 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 11:56:56 am

I've got one of these - Gaggia classic - which might cost a little more, but looks great.
I'm not sure how they compare with more modern new fangled machines but it makes pretty good tasting coffee and a nice buzzing noise.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 11:57:04 am
read the second page.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 12:31:19 pm
I was bought one of those Nespresso machines for my birthday and despite:

1. Its part of Nestle (I think)  >:(
2. George Clooney did particularly annoying/swarmy adverts for it 
3. The 'pods' cost c.25p per coffee..
4. You have to buy the coffee 'pods' from them (there is a fill your own internet alternative..)
 :-\

It makes a damned good cup of coffee every time (just finished one now) and I love it....

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 02:10:28 pm
Thanks Dolly - I have done a bit of reading and it gets some great reviews. It is a little out of my price range, but I was thinking that my budget maybe a bit low anyway :) I have bookmarked the page as a contender.

Tom - do you happen to know the model by any chance? I could be swayed if they do 'fill your own' alternatives..

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#7 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 02:36:18 pm
I've got a Krups like this one.  4010 I think the model is.  Works well enough for only being £100, had it nearly 3 years and have only had to replace one seal which was available cheaply from somewhere online.   Only downside is it needs to be on for an hour or so to make really hot coffee.  If I'm in a rush I just microwave it.

Edit:  the latte frother thing is a bit of a faff as well but they all might be.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 03:55:23 pm
Tom - do you happen to know the model by any chance? I could be swayed if they do 'fill your own' alternatives..

OK, these guys do the fill your own pod kits...
http://www.nexpod.com/

My machine is one of these: Takes less than a min to warm up & has a standby mode.
http://www.johnlewis.com/230855909/Product.aspx

The Aerocinno (milk frother) that came with mine is £50 extra but fantastic. Just pour milk in and it heats and froths it to the right temperature  - the stirrer is magnetically mounted, the pot non-stick - a great bit of kit. Popular with visting friends kids for making hot frothy milk...

The problem is the cost of the 'pods' and having to get them from Nespresso direct (reminds me of how injet printer manufacturers lock you into buying from them etc..) but the nespresso coffee is really really good...

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#9 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:04:28 pm
The best thing for me about my (filter) machine is the 'auto-start' option, You just set the clock fill it up and then it starts automatically the next morning, like magic.... or a teasmaid.
Also I like an insulated jug as this seems to keep the taste better than a heated base you get on some filter machines.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:05:46 pm
Nespresso is wank.  The Philips Senseo is much better:

The pads cost between €1.50 and very expensive for a pack of 18 - & sometimes 20.

You can make any style of milky or non-milky coffee you desire, 1 or 2 cups at a time.  The parts are plastic so there is no need to have the machine running for a while to heat up and nor does it suffer from hot water being cooled by cold unused parts: the general reason one gets served tepid coffee in cafe's.  You can also use a refillable 'pad' & use whatever brand of coffee you'd prefer.  All the parts are dishwasherproof so it's no great shakes to clean.

€140.  We'll never go back to cafetiers.

(only barbarians microwave cold coffee.)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#11 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:07:14 pm
Thanks Nai - will look into that one.

OK, these guys do the fill your own pod kits...
http://www.nexpod.com/
Just had a quick look at their site and it appears they are in Switzerland and do not have any distributors in the UK. Reading on this forum, the pods are not re-usable either so I can't see any benefit in buying them, unless you really really want to put your own blend of coffee into them. Surely the cost would be the same as just buying a filled pod to start with. What with postage costs from La Suisse...

I guess it looks like the pod machines are out for me. One of my xmas pressies was a grinder, so it makes sense for me to get a machine that takes ground coffee :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond and post the info though, the milk thing sounds cool. Will check that out for sure..  :thumbsup:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#12 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:08:27 pm
The best thing for me about my (filter) machine is the 'auto-start' option, You just set the clock fill it up and then it starts automatically the next morning, like magic.... or a teasmaid.
Also I like an insulated jug as this seems to keep the taste better than a heated base you get on some filter machines.
Sounds good - you got a link or model name?

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#13 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:13:42 pm
Nespresso is wank.  The Philips Senseo is much better:

You can also use a refillable 'pad' & use whatever brand of coffee you'd prefer

(only barbarians microwave cold coffee.)
Cheers Mr H I will investigate the refillable thing..

Was thinking the same about the microwave thing, but each to their own... kind of like adding coca cola to a nice whisky  :o

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#14 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:22:22 pm
Sounds good - you got a link or model name?

This is my baby....
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Krups-FMF5-14-10-cup-Programmable-Coffee-Machine/3874168/product.html?cid=133635
Looks a bit boring, it's not designed by Porsche, but the coffee comes out hot and brown and good.
(more 5 man-sized-mugs than the quoted '10' cups)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 04:38:56 pm
On my travels I discovered Espresso so now I have this beauty:

http://www.cheftools.com/images/07-0572%20%20%2004.jpg

ceramic stove top requires a stainless device. Its good but doesn't seem to produce coffee as hot as that out of the old aluminium one.

Canary M Burns

• Shatner's Bassoon Engineer
#17 Re: Coffee machines
January 22, 2010, 10:53:29 pm
 8)

Alan Partridge: "Coffee machines are the future Lynn, Kettles are saaaaadddd!!!!!"

fatkid2000

• junky
#18 Re: Coffee machines
January 23, 2010, 07:38:58 am
Fiorenzata machines the only way to go if you have the cash - makes mind blowing espresso.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#19 Re: Coffee machines
January 23, 2010, 01:47:07 pm
i'm with paul b; simple, iconic and as strong a liquor as you want

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Coffee machines
January 23, 2010, 02:21:48 pm
me too soapy.i have the 12 cup one full every day.the truly great thing is that i can take it anywhere.it has been to font,rocklands,bishop,yosemite,val di mello.cant do that with your fancy dan machines can ya

account_inactive

• forum hero
#21 Re: Coffee machines
January 23, 2010, 04:49:27 pm
i'm with paul b; simple, iconic and as strong a liquor as you want

I wonder how many of us will end up with Parkinson's from using these.....

Dolly is on the money.  We have had the Gaggia classic for 4 years now and its still going strong

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#22 Re: Coffee machines
January 23, 2010, 05:30:18 pm
I highly rate these:

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

it is quick simple, portable, piss to clean and does not result in the slightly burnt taste you can get from the stove top jobs if they are left on a few seconds too long.

o, and its cheap. (£20-25 i think) so worth getting as a portable alternative.

I don't sell them BTW!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:35:58 pm by creamtime »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#23 Re: Coffee machines
January 23, 2010, 05:50:32 pm
Are you lazy?

I am, especially when it come to coffee.  I want it in one minute.  Which is the beauty of the pad machines - plus - no mess, imagine that!  No endless slooshing the grounds or knocking the bowl on the bin.

Those old skool coffee pot things make coffee taste bitter, I think.  Some people like bitter coffee though ...

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Coffee machines
January 24, 2010, 12:33:18 am
coffee is supposed to taste slightly bitter thats the whole point of it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal