UKBouldering.com

osteopathic treatment for climbers, a video. (Read 2563 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
osteopathic treatment for climbers, a video.
January 09, 2010, 10:20:26 am
the guru has made some small videos, this one is about fingers treatment, and he would like to share them, so here it is the first one.
suggestions welcome, as usual!

Twiglett

• regular
    • Vid's
pretty interesting as the limited movement in fingers is something I experiance alot. My girlfriend does something like that as part of her beauty therapy course and sometimes does it to my hands - makes them feel alot better I can tell you!   :lol:

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
That was really useful Nibs, something I suffer from quite badly.  I will be looking up and trying a few of those techniques that's for sure.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
given that i posted here one of the guru's videos i would like to post this one also, it's the trailer of the dvd that will come with his new book on training. i am currently translating it into english.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
I don't want to be too upsetting or controversial, but I went to an osteopath for a little while, as an experiment at doing something about the non-painful crepitus in my left wrist.

I left after a few sessions with the extremely distinct impression that it's all bullshit, and that I'd be better off going to a sports masseur who just beats the crap out of me rather than someone who charges me more and then wants to crack my neck because it's obviously impressive and I'm more likely to be wowed and come back.

Or did I just go to the wrong one?

cofe

• forum hero
you went to the wrong one.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Maybe I did, maybe I didn't.  I know that it's supposed to work for back pain, but I'm really not convinced about the whole posture-fixes-gout (or whatever) thing.

Shockingly, whilst doing some research just now, found this:

Safety concerns have been raised in relation to manipulative techniques used by some osteopaths. 'Neck cracking', i.e. cervical high-velocity low-amplitude thrusting, has received particular attention in the popular media due to a possible risk of arterial occlusion and consequently of stroke. Although the existing data cannot provide a conclusive estimate of the cervical artery dissection risk researchers have stated that a stroke risk of about 1.3 per 100 000 chiropractic visits for individuals aged under 45 years ...

I'd rather mainline tamiflu.

DubDom

• menacing presence
As with all these things, there's good and bad osteopaths. A bit of googling to confirm a preconceived notion doesn't really tell you anything. If you get a personal recommendation of a good whatever: physio, osteopath, sports masseur (maybe not witchdoctor tho) then I wouldn't worry about what they call themselves since they all tend to encompass a pretty wide variety of different treatments.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal