UKBouldering.com

Rock Over bouldering centre Manchester (Read 99891 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
is it gonna cost as much as stockport wall? £7.50 for the shittest bouldering wall and the shittest set probs i've ever had the displeasure to climb on. is manchester in london? no

Ever been to RockCity in Hull? Its £7.50 AND £10 year membership... and its not the largest of bouldering areas...

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
is it gonna cost as much as stockport wall? £7.50 for the shittest bouldering wall and the shittest set probs i've ever had the displeasure to climb on. is manchester in london? no

And they don't have off peak rates. Even Manchester Corporate Events Climbing Centre has that. 

saltbeef

• forum hero

:off:
stockport is log. hence its name logport.
however it has gotten better. how could you tell the difference between a mono on the motherboard or the one you hung off at onthe 45 at logport?
the new crop of problems are far better set (done by cassidy and vickers). you got the worst of both worlds, badly set and badly overdue in need of resetting ie filthy. the problem is i think i may be the only person that ever cleans them.
the 45 is a bit of a shame really it needs tweaking badly, why the fuck is there a bog seat on it. ho ho ho how fucking funny. apparently they approached the beastmaker boys but then didn't get back in touch. which i think is an opportunity missed. and its a real shame they painted that board.
as for 7.50 is it in london? no. but it doesn't cost ten pounds to get in. it also has routes and quite alot of them. if you choose not to use them that is your issue. some are quite good. again when set by vickers and cassidy.
its not perfect, but its better than it used to be.
also off peak rates fuck me off a bit (but only cos I'm hungry and tired). why should i be penalised for having a fucking job and having to go when everyone else is cluttering up my personal bodyspace! if you're there in the middle of the afternoon get a fucking job, or be grateful you're not at work. I was at the works on monday afternoon and it was delightful before 6. you should probably have to pay more.

JohnM

• junky
 :off: again!  I think the recent set of problems are quite good at Stockport but the grading is very inconsistant.  A lot of the reds are way harder than the greens and the only hard green is that one up the back left wave feature.  Vickers seems to be a bit bipolar with his setting! Sometimes they are steady away and other times I feel like he is having a laugh at my expense!  Either way he is a good experienced problem setter and at least they employ someone who knows how to set good problems unlike many other walls.

clm

• forum hero
guy in broughton seemed to think that it was already built and that someone (name escapes me) was busy route setting. He thinks its in the warehousing bury new road way. I think hewas referring to the old (ahem) rumour mill.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
barans setting me thinks

good luck to them I say, just hope it doesn't take away the business from broughton.

Dave D

• player

Wow, don't hold back mate :o!

With such a big choice of walls in the area I'm surprised we still exist if things are that bad :-\!!!

Oh well, I'll try harder.

Dave Douglas
Awesome Walls Climbing Centres Ltd

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
sorry for the hijack and  :off:  (this is directed at Dave Douglas)
but when I phoned up a few weeks ago and asked if you (awesome walls stockport) were open till 10 and they said yes and then I get kicked out at 8 just over an hour into my session cos there is not enough people in (without any refund) and then when i go back next week and the same bloke who remembers me refused to even give me a discount and basically gets arsey with me then it pisses me off. Also £7.50 is too much
Saltbeef is only sucking your cock cos he's got to justify his months pass and he forgets the rest of us don't get paid bum doctors rates
Admittedly ian and jamie set good problems

saltbeef

• forum hero

stockport is log. hence its name logport.

hardly sucking cock. more constructive criticism.
broughton is good for finger strength. it does not give you power.

Dave D

• player
Jim
The weather got a bit more sevre than excected that night so I made the call to close early so the staff could get home safely.
Email me if you still want a discounted session.

Dave Douglas
Awesome Walls Climbing Centres Ltd

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Sorry Dave, I was specifically told "there is not enough people here for us to warrent staying open, its not our decision"

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
A bit of constructive criticism for Stockport, or rather suggestions, given that competition is going to be hotting up in Manchester:

1: Get some more sets of holds for the bouldering area, from different manufacturers. The easy problems are mostly lines of jugs - this isn't necessarily the setter's fault if they don't have a choice of holds to set with.

2: The new woody needs resetting. The holds seem randomly placed and many of them just don't work well on that style of board. Get rid of the toilet seat. More wooden holds would work better, but they have to be well made. Nothing fancy, just flat edges and pinches.

tomtom

• forum hero
 :off: (a bit)

I think the stockport wall is a wee bit dear if you just want to boulder - but 7.50 is pretty close to most other walls for chuffing etc... I'd like it if maybe they had a boulder only rate for a couple of quid less... see below...

For a possible glimpse of the future - Its interesting to see whats happened in Leeds since in the space of 1 year its gone from one wall (Leeds wall with OKish bouldering & lots of leading) to having two extra bouldering walls (Depot & Citybloc). Since then, the Leeds wall has really pulled its finger out and re-sets the bouldering wall more often (at the expense of the leader wall so my chuffing friends tell me) and has a boulder only price of £5... so Citybloc & the Depot are around £6.50-5 (depending on peak time etc.. and other things).

My tuppence worth - for my punter abilities the Stockport wall is fine (I tend to go about once a week) and the problems are generally pretty well set - and I dont run out of things I can/cant do before they are re-set (thuogh if I went more frequently that might change..). I agree with ru that the same brand/type of hold is a pain etc.. new area is good. Interstingly though, the best set problems in the walls I frequent are consistently at Citybloc - it may not be the biggest or best looking of venues but I like the bouldering... T

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
£7.50 is too expensive. The bog seat is bobbins. I liked your board though. You need bad footholds (8-10mm hardwood small blocks - round the edges off) on the bottom half, and where possible make wooden holds out of hardwoods. Ban people standing on wooden holds.

Oh, and you need some means of cooling it down. Good effort for putting in the new bit though. And for responding to your critics.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
yes, I've never understood why walls don't have 2 prices, one for bouldering only and one for full use.

why good effort for responding to your critics? one was a lie, the other one basically said we dont care if you dont like it, there are plenty of mugs paying their £7.50

broughton is good for finger strength. it does not give you power.
of course, barans and cooke are piss weak

webbo

• forum hero

Ever been to RockCity in Hull? Its £7.50 AND £10 year membership... and its not the largest of bouldering areas...
i think if you combine the cave and the moon wall it probably doesn't have a lot less than citybloc.

tomtom

• forum hero

i think if you combine the cave and the moon wall it probably doesn't have a lot less than citybloc.

Sorry but  :off: again...

If you go on wall square footage alone I think City bloc's quite a bit larger and its also taller.. At Rockcity there are no circuits (maybe 2 or 3 problems at each grade) & the shape of the moon wall (middle bulge) means alot of the problems there are sit start one move 'wonders'.. The cave looks great but I tire of it really quickly, because there are no bolt on's - OK, this requires me to use my imagination and construct eliminates etc.. but I run out of inspiration there.... I quite like it that someone has set a problem to solve... isnt that part of the point of setting problems rather than just leaving you with a random set of holds??

There are some great people there but the lack of problems (&inspiration) and £7.50 a pop means I'd rather burn £10 worth of diesel and head over to Leeds or Sheffield - and I'm not the only one who has voted with their feet... I've mentioned this to Mark but you can guess what he thought.....

saltbeef

• forum hero
 :off:
Jim, neither of them are. But broughton is essentially locking on crimps. (I think its good, and I think it transfers well to outdoors) however it doesn't give you that  power that  a fifty degree board gives you, because you can do lots of egyptians and its 30degrees.

tomtom. I disagree about setting. I have done everything now bar about 4 problems (hero) in a couple of sittings. as Ru said there are too many jug hauls especially on the steep bit. I'd like to see a few more in the red/blue categories on the steep bit. less 4b steep jug laddders (yes dob for me to tic tac up!)

The board. I agree wth Ru, and Dobbin. Strip it. and get some quality wooden holds (NOT the metolius wooden ones) It could be an awesome feature. (please)
It does seem to have cooled down in there too.

If you could install a dungeon for me and Jim too that would be great.

webbo

• forum hero
tom
in regard to whos voted with their feet,given there is only about 10 or so regular boulders in hull.one or two disgruntled ones going off to leeds is hardly going to warrant the expense of building a new bouldering section.however there are plans to extend the cellar out to the back of the skate park.mark just needs to find the money to fix the roof first.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
I would certainly be more intrested in going if there was a dungeon

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
yes, I've never understood why walls don't have 2 prices, one for bouldering only and one for full use.

The Edge have a two-tier pricing system.  Pretty sure The Foundry used to but alas no more (except an off-peak bouldering price).

Dave D

• player

why good effort for responding to your critics? one was a lie, the other one basically said we dont care if you dont like it, there are plenty of mugs paying their £7.50

Jim
Having a separate price of bouldering only is something that we might be bringing in when the new Stoke bouldering wall opens.
There were several reasons for closing early but the main one was to let the staff leave early. As for 'we don't care' I was stating a fact that if we were so shit as a dence loner put it we wouldnt be so popular!

Thanks for the comments off the other guys, all noted and will be looked into.

Cheers

Dave Douglas
AWCC

saltbeef

• forum hero
if the works was 45mins drive away as opposed to an hour and a bit i would drive there if it was £8.50. Its not its £6.50.
I do remember moving to manchester from shef and being really pissed off with the prices of the wall. especially as there was none that i would really want to join.
reset the board please with good wooden holds. it doesn't have to be symmetrical (would be better) please contact dan variable.

chicane

• player

With all the complaints about facilities in Manchester has no one ever thought about starting a co-op and all chipping in for a venue then building exactly what you want? 24x7 access with a key each.

I'd be prepared to pay for that and can donate stuff e.g. Beastmaker, holds, double mattress, dumbbells.

Just a thought - if it's been mentioned before then apologies.

Matt

saltbeef

• forum hero
my contract ends in august. if i get a job elsewhere then...
if i don't then i'd be keen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal