UKBouldering.com

Good beginer shoe (Read 4162 times)

danny234

Good beginer shoe
January 01, 2010, 10:18:34 pm
coluld someone help me out by advising a decent climbing shoe for a new climber. thanks in advance

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Good beginer shoe
January 01, 2010, 10:21:19 pm
One that fits and is comfortable.

Get down to your nearest shop and try lots of different pairs on and go with those which fit best.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#2 Re: Good beginer shoe
January 01, 2010, 10:38:53 pm
Don't spend a lot on them, Danny. With footwork like wil-e-coyote they don't last long enough to justify it. Bargain bins etc etc.

kroozin

#3 Re: Good beginer shoe
February 11, 2010, 10:18:59 pm
I've been climbing about a year now. Just about to buy my 2nd pair of shoes. I started of with scarpa vantage's. They are a really nice shoe. However I'd advise you to go for something a bit cheaper. I say this because you will realise that as a beginner you will  :spank: the rubber and the edges on your shoes untill they are round and pretty much useless. Train your self to place your feet where you want them not just fumbling around the holds. Go into a shop and try them on see what fits properly so you have a no painfully tight fit but comfortable tightness.
Just my 2p from a years experience.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#4 Re: Good beginer shoe
February 12, 2010, 08:56:12 am
I've been climbing about a year now. Just about to buy my 2nd pair of shoes. I started of with scarpa vantage's. They are a really nice shoe. However I'd advise you to go for something a bit cheaper. I say this because you will realise that as a beginner you will  :spank: the rubber and the edges on your shoes untill they are round and pretty much useless. Train your self to place your feet where you want them not just fumbling around the holds. Go into a shop and try them on see what fits properly so you have a no painfully tight fit but comfortable tightness.
Just my 2p from a years experience.

:goodidea:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Good beginer shoe
February 12, 2010, 10:26:45 am
As the others have said just make sure you get something comfy that fits your foot, don't bother with getting a cripplingly tight pair like *some people* suggest, it's a waste of time to begin with and will just put you off as your feet will hurt so much.  As long as they fit they don't need to be cutting of the circulation, save that for your next pair.  ;)

Oh, and try lots of different makes on, just becasue one brand doesn't fit you doesn't mean they'll all be the same, I can't get my feet into a pair of 5.10s but loads of people swear by them, you have to try them all on to see what suits the shape of your feet.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Good beginer shoe
February 12, 2010, 10:28:32 am
don't bother with getting a cripplingly tight pair like *some people* suggest, it's a waste of time to begin with and will just put you off as your feet will hurt so much. they'll feel much better when you take your socks off

Davey_C

• regular
#7 Re: Good beginer shoe
March 26, 2010, 08:38:44 pm
I started of with scarpa vantage's. They are a really nice shoe. However I'd advise you to go for something a bit cheaper.

I started off with Scarpa Vantage as well and I thought they were a pretty good first shoe, you can't get anything much cheaper though - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-mens-vantage-climbing-shoes-p108050.

They did stretch a bit and became a bit loose after a while, but I would certainly recommend them as a first shoe.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#8 Re: Good beginer shoe
March 26, 2010, 09:46:19 pm
Buy a decent all round shoe like the 5.10 velcro.  Beginners shoes have loads more rubber on the sole and tend to be very stiff.  Although these will last for ages they won't give you the feel you need to improve your footwork.  Instead they will foster poor foot placement and clumpy movement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal