UKBouldering.com

AC Joint sprain (Read 3423 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
AC Joint sprain
December 24, 2009, 05:05:38 am
Just back from A+E and appear to have spained left AC Joint, tho no more precise diagnosis than that .
Quite a shame as right biceps tendinitis was healing a treat... :yawn:
Anyone damaged their AC  and care to share experiences/advice on this?
I'll start the ball rolling: don't mix red rioja, white burgundy, zopiclone and a walkabout on ice-covered pavement. It's not big, and people may think you're not too clever either.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: AC Joint sprain
December 24, 2009, 02:01:15 pm
I had an AC separation(II) about 3/4 years ago. Did it on a dirty press, sounded like tearing a T-shirt. Back climbing in 3 weeks, though took a year till I could press again properly and whilst I now consider myself to be just about physically recovered, I am still wary of chucking into the old gaston.

It took a week for the inflamation to go down, for a proper diagnosis, as I remember.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#2 Re: AC Joint sprain
December 24, 2009, 09:57:19 pm
Nice one Dr Stallioni, prompt and encouraging replies are always welcome. 'The Press' may have to wait but Rubicon's over-rated anyway, it's the run-of-the-mill stuff that's been a worry.
I know a good (£££) physio but it's heartening to hear you were doing some climbing a few weeks later although our methods of injury seem a little different.
Not training in my case, more of a triple-axel somersault type thing about the lamppost down the bottom of our drive, which must be worth a style point or two.
BTW did it impede your dead -hang regime for long afterwards (assuming you dead-hang of course)
Cheers Jon

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: AC Joint sprain
March 31, 2010, 12:49:37 am
Anyone have longer-term view on this? Three months up and my poorly arm is becoming quite irritating> How long (Grade I strain) before we can be friends again? As in Tor-friendly terms?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#4 Re: AC Joint sprain
March 31, 2010, 09:16:51 am
Hmm, 3 months sounds a bit long - I'd go and see someone about that!

I think I did similar recenlty in a car crash, my left shoulder has had this weird, deep pain, irritation and weakness, but it's slowly getting better. I just battered in with loads of stretching (I just did the routine for shoulder impingement) and it seems to be slowly getting better.

Still, I think you might want to get it checked out - 3 months is too long (IMHO)

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#5 Re: AC Joint sprain
March 31, 2010, 02:15:16 pm
3 years on and other than not enjoying popping onto a straight arm (so to speak), I'm top dollar. What's improved/not improved?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#6 Re: AC Joint sprain
March 31, 2010, 11:34:37 pm
Thanks guys. It's still pretty sore after easy bouldering for an hour tops. Easy in the sense of not pulling hard, but still pulling (Broughton). Just seems stiff and sore and lasts for about 5 days.
Which is irritating as I'd hoped soreness would have nearly faded by now. How long did it take before you could pull quite hard again Stallioni, and do so more than once a week?
Thanks.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#7 Re: AC Joint sprain
April 01, 2010, 02:08:12 pm
Straight away  ;)

Pulling down was not so bad, maybe after 3 weeks climbing( and 3 weeks non-climbing). Don't remember any savage aching so it must have been negligible. Pressing properly however took at least 6 months and I still worry a little straight arming above my head in case  the stuffing starts to come out...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal