UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2010 (Read 59963 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
#25 Re: Aims for 2010
December 20, 2009, 10:40:47 pm
5 - Design and build a secret door that looks like a bookcase
8)
My mates got one, but its actualy a real life book shelf too!!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#26 Re: Aims for 2010
December 20, 2009, 11:22:42 pm

1. Meet some Scottish climbers who want to get out rock-climbing rather than winter climbing / mtn biking / indoors.

Scottish climbers like winter climbing, expect them to do a lot of it over the winter. If I have any free time you know where I am, keep in touch.
I know, they are freaks, all this good rock up here and they choose to grovel up frozen gullies under a waterfall of spindrift. Real men go bouldering instead :).

Thanks for the offer tho I do intend to get to Aberdeen, when it isn't snowing there too :)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#27 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 07:19:16 am
at the moment my main aim is to get a fucking job :boohoo:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#28 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 08:14:39 am
Goals for 2010:

January - June.
Climb 7A.
PB in the Tigger Tor.
PB in the Grindleford Gallop.
PB in the Tigers Todger.

June - December.
1st 6 months of a year long sabbatical.

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
#29 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 08:40:02 am
1)Get a full tme job so I can actually leave London on the odd weekend and go outside
2)Font C'etait Demain, Amok, Mandarin (Due to my shitty contract I have to take a break so not dependent on 1!)
3)Switzerland Massive Attack, Voigas (Second trip highly dependent on 1)
4)UK Manchester Dogs (if I have a couple of good months work prob not too dependent on 1)
5)Actually do some routes
5)Pay my debts off (highly dependent on 1)
6)Keep training as hard as this year (Not dependent on 1 as I have fuck all else to do when not working)
7)Get Huffy to come training more than once a month and to stop hugging men on the floor (After his recent success in the Man Hugging nationals probably the hardest goal of all)

Munkii

• stalker
#30 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 11:37:20 am
ok while reading this please bear in mind i have only been climbing for a year and i am just a young'un.

1. use top rope only for long term projects

2.comfortably onsight lead 6b

3.redpoint lead 7a

4.onsight V3 consistently

5. redpoint V6

6. climb loads more outdoors.

7. onsight 6a outdoors

8. improve on climbing aretes

9. learn how to climb cracks

10. improve footwork and lock off ability

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 11:54:16 am
How about learn to use Font grades ;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#32 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 12:01:42 pm
I think Munkii is demonstrating that it is easier to understand the difference between F7a and V6, as opposed to F7a and f7a, the latter being more confusing.
As such he has clearly demonstrated an understanding of the complexities of the grading systems and their interrelationships.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#33 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 12:10:47 pm
After this year I'm just hoping to.........

1. Somehow find some time to train.

2. Not get injured.

3. Move house (so #1's probably out the window).

>:(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 12:33:01 pm
I think Munkii is demonstrating that it is easier to understand the difference between F7a and V6, as opposed to F7a and f7a, the latter being more confusing.

Confusing to who???

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
#35 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 12:40:34 pm
After this year I'm just hoping to.........

1. Somehow find some time to train.

2. Not get injured.

3. Move house (so #1's probably out the window).

>:(

I can help you with two of those, move to London, lose your job and work part time. 

The side effect of leaving your new house and attempting to do pretty much anything bar go for a walk will be hemorrhaging money, so all you will be able to do is train (don't expect to get many projects ticked outside though!).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#36 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 12:52:12 pm
Goals for 2010:
- 7b+ sport climb

With your strength it should be 8b/8b+ not a measly 7b+. Man up Hession.

:agree: c'mon Rich  :spank:

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#37 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 01:11:15 pm
In no particular order:
 - Left wall high
 - Rock Atrocity
 - Zoolook
 - The Prow in one
 - Fiesta de los Biceps, Riglos (anyone else keen?)
 - Euro trip of some sort and get some on-sight ticks; would like to get back to F7b+ and push on to F7c
 - On-sight E5 again
 - Subculture
 - Trio of hard trad at Nesscliffe
 - Nick's new route at Nesscliffe

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#38 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 01:11:55 pm
As such he has clearly demonstrated an understanding of the complexities of the grading systems and their interrelationships.
I keep fucking telling people this but they i.e. Jasper won't listen.

If a mate says (vocally) "I went out and climbed seven-a today", wtf does that mean on first hearing?? Exactly, you have to ask or know the context beforehand as to whether they were bouldering or sport climbing. Whilst if they say "I went out and climbed vee six today" you know exactly what they've done. It's just common bloody sense but then again when I have I ever seen other people applying common sense to grading??  ::) :spank: :thumbsdown: ::) >:(

P.S. Ally yeah I'm keen to have someone second me up the harder pitches of Fiesta Del Riglos.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#39 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 01:35:31 pm
Climb E8 and font 8b..........

:)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#40 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 01:39:19 pm
If a mate says (vocally) "I went out and climbed seven-a today", wtf does that mean on first hearing?? Exactly, you have to ask or know the context beforehand as to whether they were bouldering or sport climbing. Whilst if they say "I went out and climbed vee six today" you know exactly what they've done. It's just common bloody sense but then again when I have I ever seen other people applying common sense to grading??  ::) :spank: :thumbsdown: ::) >:(

But then some people would qualify which activity they were doing at the outset because they're aware of the ambiguity that surrounds saying 'climbed seven-a' so would say something like...

I went out bouldering today and climbed a seven-a

...or conversely...

I was out routing today and climbed a seven-a

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#41 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 01:46:26 pm
When are all these conversations happening where people only mention the grade of something they've climbed rather than what it's called, where it is, what it is etc?

Why would you be interested in hearing about it if they aren't going to tell you what they were doing and you have to guess just from the grade?

And that's the argument for V grades is it?

What utter nonsense you talk sometimes Fiend.  ::)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#42 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 02:01:25 pm
I climbed Senza nome quite a few times in Sardinia  :P

BenF

• forum hero
#43 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 02:05:46 pm
Better get gout free then - this might require giving up drinking (though not quite yet)

Yeah sorry for giving you that bottle of Port.  Didn't really help you out that much did I?  Not that I was consciously hobbling you.

nik at work

• forum hero
#44 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 02:11:23 pm
I prefer Font grades to V grades. But I also think Munkii is a good egg and I wish him well in his aims for the year.

There's some pretty hefty aims floating about this year, of which I approve greatly.

Jasper get out house hunting in January, pick a house you like, buy it, move in, bish-bosh job done leaving you 11 months to "train", although I do think your time would be better spent getting out climbing :)

Crouch you arse, you should be doing 7b+ in rollerskates, even I've managed to drag my old, withered unfit excuse for a body up a 7c this year. You should be aiming for something significantly closer to 8b+...

Munkii

• stalker
#45 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 02:35:11 pm
I prefer Font grades to V grades. But I also think Munkii is a good egg and I wish him well in his aims for the year.

thankyou, i didn't mean to cause a grade debate, v grades are just what i am most familiar with and is how the problems at my local centre are graded. from what i hear indoor grades don't count for much anyways.

James

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#46 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 02:49:12 pm

Jasper get out house hunting in January, pick a house you like, buy it, move in, bish-bosh job done leaving you 11 months to "train", although I do think your time would be better spent getting out climbing :)

Thanks nik I didn't realise it was so simple. I'll rest easy now.  ;) January is already out of the equation for anything other than work unfortunately. We've got some bits and pieces to do on the house too and then it'll be full steam ahead. Not looking forward to it at all.......

The problem with "getting out climbing" is if I haven't got time to nip down the wall for an hour I certainly haven't got time to get out and in my current weakened state I'm nowhere near where I need to be in order to climb anything that I want to anyway. So if I DO get a bit more time then I'm better off using it in the most productive way in order to try to scrape back to some level where I can enjoy getting out or even start to think about planning a trip somewhere.

People may think I'm only bothered about training but that couldn't be further from the truth. Last year (not the one that's nearly finished) I didn't climb indoors or do any sort of training for months and spent the entire summer / autumn at Rubicon, Cragxbrooklyn etc even when it was monsoon season. I hate climbing indoors in comparison but them's the breaks at the minute. I've still not got back 50% of the strength I had before I repeatedly crocked myself and without some time at the coalface that's not going to change.

Sorry to ramble on but I just didn't want people getting the wrong idea and couldn't think of a succinct way of putting it.

Oh and don't worry Munkii - good luck with your goals and don't listen to Fiend.  :P

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#47 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 03:35:26 pm
blah blah blah

.... without some time at the coalface that's not going to change.

blah blah blah

:lol:

Doylo

• forum hero
#48 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 06:14:09 pm
I just want to finish my Diamond project  :)

uptown

• junky
#49 Re: Aims for 2010
December 21, 2009, 08:06:04 pm
Goals for 2010:
- 7b+ sport climb

With your strength it should be 8b/8b+ not a measly 7b+. Man up Hession.

I second that, Just look for extended boulder problems and you'll be laughing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal