UKBouldering.com

Wierd finger/palm/wrist injury (Read 1343 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Wierd finger/palm/wrist injury
November 27, 2009, 11:58:06 am
Hi All,
       as a back ground i have mild dupotrens in my right hand there is a noticeable lump in my right palm but not a lot of visible contraction of the little finger. (i.e. the surgeon said he would only be interested in operating when it wasnt possible to put the hand flat on the table)

10 days ago at the wall i was doing a problem which required a bit of a deadpoint slap for a flat hold with the right hand my little finger missed the hold but i got it with the other 3 fingers. because its a barndoory move but a largish hold you end up exerting quite a bit of force with the fingers to hold the swing as you are one handed at this point  and you have this hand and one leg on the rock.  i got a shooting stretching feeling in a tendon around the base of my palm and wrist. i suspect this was partially because of the stretch i had in the fingers based on the little finger being still flat parallet with the palm and the other 3 being about 130degrees and contracting hard.

i think the tendon/finger in question is the ring one as it seems similar to injury i had a while back when i monoed a deep mono but with the ring finger and i felt a similar feeling but in the middle of the forearm rather than in the bottom of the palm/wrist. 

the injury seems a bit better of sorts as opening the car door with middle and ring fingers created the same shooting pain a week ago. now i was trying so see if the problem persists by pulling gently on holds and i could get it again of sorts by pulling on a hold i have which is two deep monos with the index and the ring fingers in it. i pulled carefully and could feel the start of the problem. Anyone have any idea what the problem may be? ive tried hanging of easy holds on my fingerboard and i have no adverse problems whatsoever, but am obviously nervous about trying anything more incase i tweak things.

Thanks in advance
cheers
Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal