UKBouldering.com

Home and away fixtures for the winter season (Read 25228 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
A right laff  :D

Good, chilled atmosphere and a sound group of people, on a day where conditions just got better and better. Couldn't ask for a finer day out.

As well as the other things mentioned, ascents of Brad Pit and The Storm were filmed and will be up on here sometime this weekend along with some pics. I spent most of the day filming but missed Chris' ascent of the Joker - ah well! Good luck on the Ace tomorrow Chris if the weather's up for it.

Also, well done to Ang for her ascent of the Green Traverse, after 7 years of attempts!! Lot's of other things done, including two ascents of Deliverance, and several of Al Williams' new problem.

Could have carried on sinking pints for the remainder of the evening - I bet your drive home was interesting with Rhys' sampling of the local flora  :wink: We'll have to make it a two day visit next time so we can have a decent session....talking of which, let's get the return trip to North Wales sorted.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#51 Pics
October 25, 2002, 09:46:42 pm
Added some pics from yesterday - mostly of The Deep End, but some of the Joker and a nice one of the crew.
(go to media/images and select photographer ukbouldering.com)

Here's the best ones:

1. The crew: From left to right: Slim the dog, Al Williams (front), Rhys (behind), Chris Davies, Ang Cottle, Si Panton (front), Ben Pritchard (behind), James Pearson, Lucian Cottle, Lee (front), Sorry, don't know your name mate (behind), Pat King on "Silk" and Adam Long on "Help The Aged".

2. Chris Davies on "The Joker":

3.  The Deep End Unknown bloke (who are you geez - let us know!?) on a direct through "The Deep End", spotted by Al Williams and watched by Si Panton (looking scarily like Dennis Hopper   :D   ).

Videos to follow later.

dave

Whereabouts is this Deep End thing cuz its looks reyt good? how hard is it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The pic on this thread is the direct through Deep End which nobody did (maybe later in the day when it colder they would have done). The other pics are mainly of D.E.

It's sort of directly up the hill behind the Green Traverse block. You know that pointy E7 (?) arete thing on the huge boulder that dominates the Plantation? It's just to the right of the top half of that. There's also another couple of problems of Andy Cave's up above it too.

Bring a couple of spotters and some mats though, as it's not called the Deep End for nothing.... :shock:

mark

• forum abuser
What are the problems behind Deep End? There’s a cave right of the pinnacle formed by two big boulders leaning against each other. The right hand rib from a sit start is very good and about V6. Then there’s a roof behind Deep End that has a good problem through it at about V5. Are these the ones you mean or are these different again?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Them's the ones.....what sort of weirdy character set do you use? Your quotes are all messed up!

dave

Ah yes, i can see then Hourglass arete in the background of the photos. I take it its a traverse then? what kinda grade is it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
V6 ish??  Mark said he did it again Sat - whadya reckon Mark?

mark

• forum abuser
Very conditions dependent I reckon. If it's warm then it's hard to hold the middle sloper. If it's cold then it's not bad to hold and the crux moves are going up the arete. V6 sounds reasonable so - as a founder member of the Society for the Promotion of Undergrading - I'll say V5!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Put it in the database at a six - this is where we need the grade consensus thang....

Anyone know how hard, and the exact speeling of Al's other new thing at Robin Hood's Stride? "Big Al Quieda" or something. Looks mint but another iffy landing.

mark

• forum abuser
al-Qaeda and al-Qaida both get used in the press. Where's the problem?

BTW the weird characters in my earlier post were due to writing in Word then copying and pasting in here. MS weirdness.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Hard to describe....you know the detached block at RHS that has problems all around it of various grades - a b6 with a dodgy landing as there's a boulder right behind you, etc?

If you were at that boulder and looking up at the highest point of the stride, there's a big wall just in front of you and to the right. Al's problem takes the left arete - think it's about V8. Looks really good, but the landing slopes off dramatically so many pads/spots are necessary.

If you can work it out from that description I'll be very impressed.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Quote from: "Pantontino"
Chris repeated The Joker even though it was pretty hot by then (he thinks V10)

So, The Joker gets downgraded? Tsk! These Wales boys coming over and downgrading Peak problems  :P

james

• obsessive maniac
I have heard that the Joker is only 7b+ if you campus it.  I think that is a bit harsh.  7c+ sounds about right.
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
How did Chris get on on The Ace, James? Did you get much done?

james

• obsessive maniac
Hi Mike,
Chris didn't do the Ace although both him and Mark were geting close.  I didnt get much done.  I worked alot of problems but only completed a couple.  I was geting reasonably close to Danny's problem and Work Hard.  Does anyone know where the crux is on Danny's problem?  Is it Font 8a?  Is anyone around on Thursday.  Probably going to the Plantation again.
Cheers

James

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal