UKBouldering.com

How fast is yours? (Read 21555 times)

jmews

• regular
#75 Re: How fast is yours?
February 02, 2015, 06:01:40 pm
Interesting that both the FTTPs in the US and UK have relatively poor upload speed. Surprised they aren't synchronous like Coops 1Gb connection.

[/size][size=78%]As far as I know, I do not have FTTP. At best my connection is fibre to a single point/node and then distributed to residences by coax. Perhaps that explains the relatively poor upload speed on my connection.[/size]

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#76 Re: How fast is yours?
February 02, 2015, 10:10:48 pm
As far as I know, I do not have FTTP. At best my connection is fibre to a single point/node and then distributed to residences by coax. Perhaps that explains the relatively poor upload speed on my connection.
The US has always used a different system for fast internet, because of the widespread use of 'cable' TV, the internet providers have been able to piggy back on that infrastructure. I think it's called DOCSIS. (I did have to :google: that one  :-[), you're right it's not true FTTP, but much better than FTTC which in the UK still uses the copper telephone wires for the last few hundred metres or so from the cabinet, and if your not familiar with the ancient technology, this is a 8 core copper cable, of which only TWO cores are actually used (each not much thicker than a hair)  :shrug:. The fact it works at all is a minor miracle, let alone gives you up to 75mbps. We are among the lucky ones, close to a cabinet, but its massively dependent on this distance to the cab which is it's main failing. Also copper is hugely susceptible to interference from power and corrosion on connections all leading to poor signal.

We are years behind a lot of countries which has pushed on with FTTP or better. BT had the opportunity years ago to embrace fibre but bureaucracy has held us back. Meanwhile tiny setups like B4RN are making a mockery of the offerings by BT and Virgin.

Theres some brilliantly amateurish vids showing off their speeds...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:17:24 pm by Obi-Wan is lost... »

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#77 Re: How fast is yours?
February 02, 2015, 11:18:56 pm
A tad ironic that i had to pause the video and wait for it to buffer to watch that heh.

tomtom

• forum hero
#78 Re: How fast is yours?
February 03, 2015, 08:02:42 am
Here in 'ull they are rolling out fibre to the house.. and the houses around where I live getting it now have a fibre optic cable attached to their overhead phone line and curled up just outside the house - waiting to be installed inside...

Its fairly pricey though - and the ISP (KC) are shit...

jmews

• regular
#79 Re: How fast is yours?
February 03, 2015, 04:22:46 pm
As far as I know, I do not have FTTP. At best my connection is fibre to a single point/node and then distributed to residences by coax. Perhaps that explains the relatively poor upload speed on my connection.
The US has always used a different system for fast internet, because of the widespread use of 'cable' TV, the internet providers have been able to piggy back on that infrastructure. I think it's called DOCSIS. (I did have to :google: that one  :-[ ), you're right it's not true FTTP, but much better than FTTC which in the UK still uses the copper telephone wires for the last few hundred metres or so from the cabinet, and if your not familiar with the ancient technology, this is a 8 core copper cable, of which only TWO cores are actually used (each not much thicker than a hair)  :shrug: . The fact it works at all is a minor miracle, let alone gives you up to 75mbps. We are among the lucky ones, close to a cabinet, but its massively dependent on this distance to the cab which is it's main failing. Also copper is hugely susceptible to interference from power and corrosion on connections all leading to poor signal.

We are years behind a lot of countries which has pushed on with FTTP or better. BT had the opportunity years ago to embrace fibre but bureaucracy has held us back. Meanwhile tiny setups like B4RN are making a mockery of the offerings by BT and Virgin.

Theres some brilliantly amateurish vids showing off their speeds...

Thanks for the explanation! This makes perfect sense. At my family's house in the UK they are tagged on the end of the old copper wire with a dated and crumbling exchange. Speeds are exactly as you would expect!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal