UKBouldering.com

Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff (Read 1821 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 09:50:28 am
Ok so I've got 3 days away from the van seeing my parents in BCL and I've got internet access. Naturally I've been using that time to read UKB and stock up on things to watch when it rains.
I came across an RSS feed on a website (finalgear.com) and on reading further realised this could be integrated into certain bittorrent clients in order to automatically download anything new added. Firstly this suggested that you could do this with Azureus, Utorrent and Bitcomet, I can find plenty on how to do this with the former but nothing about comet, anybody any the wiser? If I can't do it with comet it looks like I need to migrate to either of the other two, Utorrent looks lightweight but there is some geek appeal to the extensions etc. for Azureus (sp?), again any preferences? (Should I be using one of these anyway?)
Does anybody currently use their torrent client like this, kind of like an online sky+? From what I read its becoming popular in America because of their equivalent (Tivo) sticking banner ads on programs and other such annoying traits.
Thanks for any help.
Paul

ps - (I'm guessing Transmission does this easily but I had to drop the penguin as it didn't play nicely with my wireless card slack--line!)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#1 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 09:56:42 am
I am not sure it's a good idea - how do you regulate what is downloaded? Aren't you kind of trusting what people are posting? Personally I vet each torrent I download. I guess a lot will depend on the sources. If it's a private torrent site then you are less likely to get fake torrents but it still happens.

I use to use Azureus for years but it grew to be too heavyweight, I now use Utorrent - super lightweight and super portable - no installs required, you can run it from a pen drive.... try it - it's only around 700Kb,,,

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 10:01:43 am
Well this particular feed is from a trusted source, I've downloaded plenty from them and any new stuff I trust to be ok.

What I don't understand is how you in particular vet each torrent from a public site?

Shirley you don't know what the file actually is until you hit play? (Apart from maybe user comments if they go above and beyond SEEEDD!)?
 :shrug:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#3 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 10:09:26 am
Well this particular feed is from a trusted source, I've downloaded plenty from them and any new stuff I trust to be ok.

What I don't understand is how you in particular vet each torrent from a public site?

Shirley you don't know what the file actually is until you hit play? (Apart from maybe user comments if they go above and beyond SEEEDD!)?
 :shrug:
Like you say - I read the comments first. Generally I don't download a lot from public sites as I am a member of a lot of private ones. Even on the private ones, you get fakes that I have downloaded before there are any comments. I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to spend looking for torrents?

I spend about 15 mins at the start of the day checking for any new stuff and setting the downloads off. I guess if you don't have the time to spare 15 mins each day then the RSS feeds option may be better for you?

This is my opinion - others may love RSS feeds for torrents...

I would say try Utorrent though if you haven't already - it's under 1mb and does not require an install, what have you got to lose? :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 10:21:44 am
well right now just the hassle of renaming all the part complete bitcomet downloads from .!bc to .avi etc. and then re-downloading the torrent info and re-starting them over the incomplete files i.e. I'll do it on the home PC some other time I reckon.

I'm quite happy to spend 15 mins a day when I'm back in the UK avoiding doing my work but currently the idea of finding a feed and then every time I connect it starting to do its thang...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#5 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 10:26:26 am
well right now just the hassle of renaming all the part complete bitcomet downloads from .!bc to .avi etc. and then re-downloading the torrent info and re-starting them over the incomplete files
That sounds pants - I have never used BitComet, but it sounds like you may want to tweak your settings or switch to another client? It sounds like a load of hassle to me, no wonder you are looking for a better/more streamlined solution :)

Have never had any hassles whatsoever with Utorrent... only fake torrents

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 10:29:10 am
it does it automatically when its finished and you CAN turn it off, I just haven't.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#7 Re: Automating Torrent Downloads and stuff
November 12, 2009, 10:40:18 am
A quick way to rename all of the files in a directory is to open a command prompt, change directory to the folder with the files in and type:

ren *.!bc *.avi 

Apologies if you knew this - it may save you some time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal