UKBouldering.com

Recommend a Osteopath/Physio in Peak Area? (Read 8128 times)

MrF

• regular
Recommend a Osteopath/Physio in Peak Area?
November 02, 2009, 01:29:43 pm

I've been suffering from (self diagnosed) Brachialis/Brachioradialis tendonitis on and off for almost 3 months now, decided to about time to splash some cash and see a professional about it.

Can anyone recommend a Osteopath/Physio with a good knowledge of climbing injuries in the Peak area?
 :please:

cofe

• forum hero
Kim Thompson (osteopath) in Hathersage sorted my brachioradialis out. Have sent you his no.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Kim cracked me up good and proper

nigelp

John Ostrovskis - he's sorted my climbing injuries a couple of times:

http://www.ostr.freeserve.co.uk/john.html
Okay, the webpage looks like it was designed by a 12 year old on an acid trip...

His surgery is in the S11 area (near Tesco's). He's a climber (and a surfer)

The Sausage

• forum abuser
Would be very surprised if it is brachialis/brachioradialis tendinitis. What are your symptoms? presumably diffuse lateral arm pain, possibly often associated with squeezing and manteling? Doesn't seem to go away despite resting, warming up well and ice/non-steroidals in abundance..?

reeve

• obsessive maniac
I've never been to Kim, however he has a very good reputation. Additionally, John doesn't.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If, as they say, laughter is the best medicine then John is the best out there..

Seriously though, John's OK.

9/10 climbers leave it waaay too late to go to the physio.   

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
I don't believe in osteopathy, but those that I know that do and have used Kim recommend him highly.

MrF

• regular
Would be very surprised if it is brachialis/brachioradialis tendinitis. What are your symptoms? presumably diffuse lateral arm pain, possibly often associated with squeezing and manteling? Doesn't seem to go away despite resting, warming up well and ice/non-steroidals in abundance..?

This is correct, yup.

I can climb sport well into the F7's without any trouble from it.  Soon as I start bouldering it tends to flare up. Prob the squeezing type moves as you mentioned. What’s your diagnosis?

MrF

• regular
Thanks for the advice guys. My health cover is for upto £300 with a Physio, not an Osteo. Ill get in contact with John.

Cheers

MrF

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
I recommend Hallamshire Physiotherapy, particularly Alison macFarland.  I've been to them with various knackered bits over the last few years and they've never let me down.  They're used to dealing with climbers too..........

MrF

• regular
Thanks again, Ill check there availability. I'm based in Derby at the moment. The closer the better really as Ill probably need more than visit :(

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
the butcher of Woodseats... aka Paul Wilson.. ex para trainer.

has the hands of power.

google sheffield chiropractic clinic. he is a sports masseur.. careful with your insurance, may not be covered, but he will fix you.. and you will scream

The Sausage

• forum abuser
I don't know a great deal about John O, but don't think that he's the best person for this type of thing. Hallamshire Physio (Alison McFarlane or Steve Hodgson) are both very good.
My opinion on this type of pain (obviously I haven't seen it, and therefore my 'diagnosis' really means nothing), is that it is caused by mild instability at the shoulder, which causes a combination of forward or upward displacement of the humeral head with squeezing/mantling. This displacement causes impingement of various structures (depending on the position of the arm), which is why pain can be in different places.
There are various reasons why this happens, and often it only happens under high loads, which is why it won't get picked up by most physios. It doesn't fit the classic impingement picture either, so again, it often gets missed.
I wrote a long 'article' on this somewhere on UKB - i think if you search shoulder instability you'll find it.
I find a combination of pec stretches and rotator cuff exercises with a theraband help a lot.
I have to disagree with fatdoc, this is likely to be a movement dysfunction; massage type stuff may clear your symptoms, but without movement re-education, the problem will return.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Steve Hodgson is the man.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
I don't know a great deal about John O, but don't think that he's the best person for this type of thing. Hallamshire Physio (Alison McFarlane or Steve Hodgson) are both very good.
My opinion on this type of pain (obviously I haven't seen it, and therefore my 'diagnosis' really means nothing), is that it is caused by mild instability at the shoulder, which causes a combination of forward or upward displacement of the humeral head with squeezing/mantling. This displacement causes impingement of various structures (depending on the position of the arm), which is why pain can be in different places.
There are various reasons why this happens, and often it only happens under high loads, which is why it won't get picked up by most physios. It doesn't fit the classic impingement picture either, so again, it often gets missed.
I wrote a long 'article' on this somewhere on UKB - i think if you search shoulder instability you'll find it.
I find a combination of pec stretches and rotator cuff exercises with a theraband help a lot.
I have to disagree with fatdoc, this is likely to be a movement dysfunction; massage type stuff may clear your symptoms, but without movement re-education, the problem will return.

accepted.

but if you wanna get better quick.... :shrug:

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Agree with much of the Sausage's opinion, (not that my uneducated opinion is worth dick!) but have suffered in the past from similar symptoms and followed pretty much the same path as the chippolata suggests. In the end though, there's only one way to find out.  Get a decent diagnosis, preferably from Alison at HP.  She's the queen of unstable shoulder therapy.............

Paul T

• regular
I had chronic brachioradialis tendinitis, especially bad with any pinching movement, to the point where I could not lift a cup of water without intense discomfort. A long time off did nothing for me but the supplement celadrin (see www.celadrinforjoints.co.uk) and massage have sorted it out nicely. Just the golfer's to work on now!

MrF

• regular
Alison is fully booked till Jan, obviously she is the person to see!

I'm booked in with Steve Hodgson next week. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Ill look into Celadrin.

Cheers

MrF

MrF

• regular
I had chronic brachioradialis tendinitis, especially bad with any pinching movement, to the point where I could not lift a cup of water without intense discomfort. A long time off did nothing for me but the supplement celadrin (see www.celadrinforjoints.co.uk) and massage have sorted it out nicely. Just the golfer's to work on now!

Can you recommend any retailers for Celadrin?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
For manipulation / osteo I would thoroughly recommend Kim, who has sorted out my lower back on occasions too numerous to mention; but realignment / relief only helps for so long (I have a chronic back problem). John O has been brilliant : "No I'm not a fucking hippy, just beat the shit out out of me and give me a bunch of exercises that will work", quickly establishes the type of patient you are and he has not only sorted a shoulder problem that I thought was something else completely; he e-mailed me an article to sort out my elbow problem with a comment along the lines of "Nah you don't want to pay me to sort that, try this". It sorted it.
With all due deference to the physios and medics that have posted I would recommend both Kim and John to any one: if they cannot help they will point you in the right direction.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal