UKBouldering.com

Powerbar pull up bar (Read 12428 times)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Powerbar pull up bar
November 02, 2009, 12:32:41 pm
Know a lot of people use these to mount fingerboards etc. Have read good reviews.

Have also read a couple of reviews of them damaging fragile door frames. What are peoples' experiences on here?

Specifically I am worried about the downwards force exerted on the reverse side (i.e. the side opposite the bar you pull on) by the little nubbins. The reason I don't do doorframe pull ups is that I am pretty sure I would rip off the frame. I am only about 11st but the flat I'm renting is built to less than exacting standards.

Reckon the nubbins would have a good chance of puncturing my wall also, but figure I can protect that with a bit of wood to disperse the horizontal force more evenly.

So what's the powerbar feedback?

Cheers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Powerbar pull up bar
November 02, 2009, 12:41:00 pm
Any option to use a wall thats load-bearing and therefore made of wood instead of ply-board.  Brick is less known to "puncture".

chris05

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Powerbar pull up bar
November 02, 2009, 04:05:54 pm
I had similar worries due to the fragile nature of my flat, so far only used it as a pull-up bar as I'm awaiting delivery of the beastmaker. Haven't had any problems and I've been using it most days for a few months now. Seems ideal and feels pretty strong.

Chris

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#3 Re: Powerbar pull up bar
November 03, 2009, 10:45:01 am
Cheers.

Unfortunately don't have any brick/load bearing walls with doorways in them - I'm in a 2nd floor flat and all the walls seem pretty fragile. Still, from what Chris says sounds like I don't need to worry about it too much.

I heard that Powerbar + Beastmaker = Crush. Sounds like the way forward. 

chillax

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Powerbar pull up bar
November 03, 2009, 10:50:44 am
I'm currently rockin' the powerbar+beastfaker combo and it works a treat. Only problem I've found is that the bars that press in on the front of the doorframe (i.e. the side you hang off) leave small indentations on the wood. Easily remedied by wrapping a towel or similar around the offending bars.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Powerbar pull up bar
November 03, 2009, 12:03:29 pm
I'm currently rockin' the powerbar+beastfaker combo and it works a treat. Only problem I've found is that the bars that press in on the front of the doorframe (i.e. the side you hang off) leave small indentations on the wood. Easily remedied by wrapping a towel or similar around the offending bars.

Any chance of popping up a picture Chillax so I/we can see how you hang your beasticlemaker on it? Its a solution I've been toying with..
T

chillax

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Powerbar pull up bar
November 03, 2009, 01:49:50 pm

Knocked together in about 3 hours one night. Can't be that hard to put together as I usually have zero ability to build stuff. Flexes a little bit, but that can be compensated for.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal