UKBouldering.com

Training ideas for someone stuck on a rig? (Read 6616 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Training ideas for someone stuck on a rig?
October 19, 2009, 07:30:49 pm
Alright fellow crushers, I need some inspiration to keep me sane out here - it's been a week so far and it's probably going to be at least another one, if not two!

I've been to the gym every second day to try and counteract the extreme weight gain diet that I'm currently embarking on :thumbsdown:. (i.e. unhealthy offshore food...) But it's mainly been cardio with some shoulder exercises to fix my dodgy shoulders. Any thoughts on what stuff I can do to keep me reasonably "climbing fit".

The gym has:

bikes, treadmill, rowing machine, crossfit trainer.

Free weights and one multi-machine.

I've been doing lat pull-downs, core work (although I strained my abs doing sit-ups and thowing a swiss ball up at the top of each sit up, so might take it easy on the core.) Shoulder stuff and some heavy-weight finger curls using dumbells.

Any thoughts?  :shrug: Scaffodling is good for chins, but the safety folk don't like it when they catch you  :spank:

tobym

• menacing presence
Read, somewhere, Malc used to use Rock Rings when offshore, no idea if this is true, or if he even used to work on a rig(?)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Yoga keeps my dodgy shoulders in shape, and doesn't require apparatus.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You should carry some theraband with you, weighs nothing and ideal for dodgy shoulders. What installation are you on? Might be able to fly some out to you! :)

webbo

• forum hero
do a cardio day on the days you don't weight train.you could do a gym triathlon i.e. 20 mins rowing,1hours cycling followed by 30 to 40 mins running equal to roughly an olympic distance triathlon.that should help burn off a few cals.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
For off-width training you could grease yourself up with oil and wrestle the largest man on the rig.

For general training you could do dead lifts with your sacks of money.

;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
The largest man on the rig is normally covered with oil (well, grease) most of the time anyway.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Stay off the x-trainer thing it fucked my hip good and proper.

I'd say rowing and cycling with low weight high rep exercises for the upper body.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
if you're on unhelathy food, better make good use of the extra calories. i'd go for long, long, long, bike sessions to burn some fat, and for hard, hard, hard weights sessions, either going for the dreaded 10 movement range or for max power 1-3 reps.
in the first case you'll bulk up, but when you'll cut the food you'll drop the mass.
or even john long's workout from hell at sets of 30 reps.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Read, somewhere, Malc used to use Rock Rings when offshore, no idea if this is true, or if he even used to work on a rig(?)

That's the plan for next time, but I don't have them this time and I'm off to Font a couple of weeks after I get back. I'm think if there isn't anything to hang them on, I could just tie them to some heavy weigths and do repeaters. Not massively climbing specific, but it'll help a bit I think.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
You should carry some theraband with you, weighs nothing and ideal for dodgy shoulders. What installation are you on? Might be able to fly some out to you! :)

I'm on LOGGS just off Norwich. I've progressed past the theraband stage now (they are damn usefull at the start) so I'm just doing free-weights and come stuff using the cables on the machine.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
do a cardio day on the days you don't weight train.you could do a gym triathlon i.e. 20 mins rowing,1hours cycling followed by 30 to 40 mins running equal to roughly an olympic distance triathlon.that should help burn off a few cals.

Unfortunately there's not enough hours in the day to fit in 12 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep and 2 hours of cardio! (as I need some time to eat and digest!) To be honest, my right knee only seems to be abel to take about 5k before complaining junst now but the bike and rowing are a good plan. -  I did about 40 mins of biking and running the other day - i find it hard to keep motivated in a 12 foot steel box with no air con!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
For off-width training you could grease yourself up with oil and wrestle the largest man on the rig.

For general training you could do dead lifts with your sacks of money.

;)

:lol: Love it - any other amusing suggstions welcome. The main reason I'm going to the gym is so that I don't make a tit of myself by struggling to carry my bags of money to the bank  ;)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
if you're on unhelathy food, better make good use of the extra calories. i'd go for long, long, long, bike sessions to burn some fat, and for hard, hard, hard weights sessions, either going for the dreaded 10 movement range or for max power 1-3 reps.
in the first case you'll bulk up, but when you'll cut the food you'll drop the mass.
or even john long's workout from hell at sets of 30 reps.

I seem to have curbed the weight gain  - I was up to 78Kg after a couple of days (partly due to not climbing much the week before and being out on the lash a few too many times) but I'm back down to 76.5Kg now and hopefully be a bit lighter once I'm finished. it's a funny thing out here - it's easy to put on loads of weight, but it's also easy to loose - 12 hours of physical work and not eating much is qiute a diet!

SA Chris

• forum hero

Unfortunately there's not enough hours in the day to fit in 12 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep and 2 hours of cardio! (as I need some time to eat and digest!)

12+8+2 = 22. 1 hour to eat brek and din, then digest while sleeping or working. Basic MATHS.

Stubbs

I've progressed past the theraband stage now (they are damn usefull at the start) so I'm just doing free-weights and come stuff using the cables on the machine.

I would keep theraband as part of your routine, specifically working on the rotator cuff muscles (various articles on the web including http://www.theshortspan.com/features/injury/shoulder.htm ) as this is a great opportunity to get these strong and reduce the chance of future injury.

SA Chris

• forum hero
My thoughts precisely. Get the black one if you think you are strong enough not to need to use it.

Prevention is better than cure. (well the cure's later albums anyway :)).

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
The weights I'm doing (free weights and cable weights on a machine) are the ones my physio recommended as the next stage in shoulder rehab. The problem with staying on therabands are the fact they are non-linear. (ie. the resistance increases as the length increases. Using cable weights to do similar movements means that the resistnace is the same throughout the motion and you can judge your progression more easily.  :rtfm:

That, and you'd look like a tit in the gym on a rig with therabands!

SA Chris

• forum hero
look like a tit

Something I thought you were used to by now :)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Bit knackered today, but also pretty happy  ;D Back onshore tomorrow  :dance1:

The reason I'm knackered  -  mini "sprint" gym triathalon last night. (Sprint as in short, not as in fast  ;) )

I managed: 5k run on a hill course, 16Km bike (turbo trainer) and a 2km row. Didn't time it, but I was in the gym for about an hour and a finished off with 7 minute 2k and nearly threw up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal