UKBouldering.com

Grit flick (Read 13091 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Grit flick
October 14, 2009, 03:16:37 pm
Anyone seen it yet? The DVD turned up yesterday so I'll be getting stuck into it over the next day or two. Will report back.

tobym

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Grit flick
October 14, 2009, 03:52:16 pm
very good, saw it touted as 'Hard Grit 2', few months ago, and not sure I rate it as highly as that, but very good, nonetheless. The footage was excellent, was unsure how some features rated as 'Headline acts' over some of the other equally entertaining features.

Nice to see Ryan getting John Dunne's seal of approval, on Gerty B.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#2 Re: Grit flick
October 18, 2009, 08:17:15 am
i thought it was a bit weak to be honest - how to take some footage of world class climbing and make a mediocre home movie out of them (however i'd just off a long haul flight when i saw it so may have been a bit grumpy at the time)

AndiT

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Grit flick
October 18, 2009, 09:48:49 am
Think I'd be a bit grumpy too if I'd just flown half way around the world to watch a DVD.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#4 Re: Grit flick
October 18, 2009, 07:29:10 pm
Think I'd be a bit grumpy too if I'd just flown half way around the world to watch a DVD.

had actually flown back for a funeral so that probably didn't add to my mood either......

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#5 Re: Grit flick
October 18, 2009, 08:49:56 pm
i thought it was a bit weak to be honest - how to take some footage of world class climbing and make a mediocre home movie out of them

:agree:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#6 Re: Grit flick
October 18, 2009, 09:16:15 pm
Just watched it and  :agree:

It's all a bit home movie. Not up to the same standard as other Alastair Lee efforts.

chummer

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 01:04:44 pm
Question is(for those who have seen it); is it worth buying?
I've already had a 'no' from nodder.

nash1

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 01:18:06 pm
Bummer, I was really disappointed with it. Too short, low quality and made very little out of what were great ascents. Eg, the few seconds of C Team Special at the end of the Ben B section, they could have made another quality 5 mins out of that.
The fact that I watched Progression the day before made me realise how good climbing films can be, and also that grit is not as impressive as it once was. As I said... bummer.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#9 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 01:32:30 pm

No, not worth it. Good climbing but crap film making.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#10 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 05:38:55 pm

Nope

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 05:42:11 pm
It is priced cheaper than a normal DVD, £13 I think. L'Etranger is still better value though.

Doylo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 06:17:48 pm
It is priced cheaper than a normal DVD, £13 I think. L'Etranger is still better value though.

This would indicate that Lee doesn't really rate it either. Good effort to him for charging what he thinks its worth though rather than the standard £20 DVD price

roddersm

• stalker
#13 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 07:09:10 pm
I don't like to put negative things on forums...but

I got a free copy with a climber subscription and I have to say if I paid money for this I'd be really pissed off. Sorry Alistar. I don't think its hurrendous, its just that the standard of climbing films is so high now coming out of the UK(Onsight, Underdeveloped,HardXS, Psyche, commited 1 and 2, E11, Echo Wall etc.) and the US(progression, Dosage V, sharp end etc.) and this was pretty lame in comparison and the worst I've seen in a while.

It lacked the excitment of Hard Grit and the fun part of the Team America in Progression. The ascents were significant but the footage just didn't reflect that or make it exciting. Some of the extras were ok though.

Sorry but I really thought it was disappointing although I'm looking forward to seeing the asgard project. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 07:17:51 pm
Perhaps he was pre-occupied with preparing for the Asgard Project but wanted to get this out in time for xmas to get the readies for funding more projects, and therefore didn't spend as much time on editing/post-production?  :shrug:

Scraggadoo

• addict
#15 Re: Grit flick
October 21, 2009, 08:23:16 pm
The one thing that really stood out for me was the amount of credits - I know you need to give all who were involved or helped out a mention but I think there is just too much.  This detracts from the climbing in the film and I was constantly thinking every time the credits came up "oh for fucks sake"...

Just my opinion.

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Grit flick
October 25, 2009, 10:35:54 am
I havent seen it, I was talking about Players.
I've already had a 'no' from nodder.

teghead123

• regular
#17 Re: Grit flick
October 27, 2009, 12:15:40 pm
Best bit on the film is Gerty Bertwick, and John Dunne making a t**t out of himself  :wank:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Grit flick
October 27, 2009, 12:35:34 pm
Sounds like it might be worth a look after all.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Grit flick
November 02, 2009, 10:23:04 pm
I've just borrowed and watched this and, on first watch, I thought it was really good.  It was refreashing to see the focus shift back towards the routes and the climbing, not get bogged down for extended periods with the human element (ahem committed 2, cringe) and style and grade education/debating/nonsense (ahem onsight, cringe) of some previous efforts -  The climbing over the climbers for me, yes please.

Saying that, I thought Dunne's input and commentry was fairly priceless.  Also, Lucy C's struggle and ultimate conquest was well captured but the climbing remained the focus throughout.

The shooting/filming quality was more than adaquate for me - got a good sense of the moves, etc.  The light on the distant hillside during the Widdop Wall ascent looked amazing.  Maybe I'm not overly fussy about this stuff - Given the choice, I'd probably prefer a slightly underground, gritty feel to the glossy Dosage style.

To the negatives..... The Dunne monologue aside, most of the humour touches went a little over my head. That's not saying much though really, I've been known to laugh at Jim Davidson.  Also, the soundtrack hasn't inspired me to get involved at spotify/torrent sites.... But this stuff just come down to personal taste and it's impossible to ever please everyone I guess.

I wouldn't have felt robbed by any means if I'd have paid for it - especially since it's half the cost of 'normal' DVD's.  I think I've seen most of the posing productions movies but this is the only one I've watched and am keen to watch again (and probably again).  Nice work Al Lee  :great:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#20 Re: Grit flick
November 02, 2009, 10:45:07 pm
The light on the distant hillside during the Widdop Wall ascent looked amazing. 

You don't happen to see a handsome chap topping out of Fight on Black in the background, do you?  :lol:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Grit flick
November 02, 2009, 11:29:37 pm
Perhaps he was pre-occupied with preparing for the Asgard Project but wanted to get this out in time for xmas to get the readies for funding more projects, and therefore didn't spend as much time on editing/post-production?  :shrug:

From some of his comments at the crag that's the impression I formed and its priced (and titled) accordingly.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Grit flick
November 03, 2009, 12:14:36 pm
The Dunne monologue aside, most of the humour touches went a little over my head.
I take part of that back actually.  I found Betty the belay dog episode pretty funny.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#23 Re: Grit flick
November 03, 2009, 12:16:56 pm
You don't happen to see a handsome chap topping out of Fight on Black in the background, do you?

No, just you I think :)

tobym

• menacing presence
#24 Re: Grit flick
November 03, 2009, 08:47:08 pm
You don't happen to see a handsome chap topping out of Fight on Black in the background, do you?

No, just you I think :)

doh.... beat me to it. :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal