UKBouldering.com

Baltic Clothing (Read 9109 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 09:20:39 am
I need to spend some serious money on some serious clothing for working through a Kazakh winter on the ropes.

I have a North Face 700 down and an average North Face Goretex jacket, got a ski mask lined up and I think a goretex rapist-balaclava would be the trick?  This won't be anywhere near enough as it can get to -40C, the job is very exposed and the location doesn't help as it's on the edge of a 1000 mile plateau; the wind is ferocious.

What should I wear to live through this?  I've never been anywhere this unpleasant and I'm on the verge of hitting KNOBCON 2.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 09:46:19 am
What do the locals wear?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 09:55:27 am
Mostly knee length black velvet stiletto's, very high heels; they look pretty hot in the main. The fashion is Russian w/ an odd Asian twist, think chintsy bling animal prints, a bit of fur; lots of black.

The men affect a vaguely Italian look w/ ghastly overly-long winkle-pickers.

The guys on site wear whatever they can filch or be given, they'll die for sure (as they're mostly poor itinerant mediteranians on a euro p/hr).  There's a few Russians here, they wear ex-army stuff, and look really cold.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 10:37:36 am
Where are you Houdini? I'm heading to Tengiz for two weeks in Tuesday?

uptown

• junky
#4 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 10:39:06 am
The men affect a vaguely Italian look w/ ghastly overly-long winkle-pickers.

Get me a photo of Wilson in said attire - I'll pay!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 10:41:55 am
Don't mean to patronise, but layering is your friend.  Get yourself some decent thermal base layers, then build up.  Your hands and feet will be the worst effected to make sure you have decent gloves/mitts and socks, plus decent footwear.  A base layer and mid layers, then maybe a down jacket or suit.  Windproof all that with salopettes and a long jacket adn you should be OK.  A decent bit of head gear would top it all off.  You can get all in one down suits like Hillary used on Everest, but not sure of cost.

Not sure if your thong would fir in with all that though.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 12:49:26 pm
Forget down. The Pertex on down jackets is really thin and flimsy, and if you're doing anything physical, or carrying shit, then it's gonna get ripped. Check out the jacket made for the BAS.

Quote from: Fluffabo
Best suited for inactive use where body heat is not being produced by any exercise.

Personally I'd wear a thick Icebreaker baselayer, and a fleece midlayer, then the Parka over the top, and maybe have a massive windproof jacket over the top. You'll definitely want a balaclava, and probably three or four pairs of gloves (wear two, have two as spares). Thick mountaineering socks, and thick leather (Scarpa Manta's, Asolo Lhotse's) mountain boots.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 11, 2009, 07:22:16 pm
All good stuff so far. Some good tips from working ski lifts when it is minus 10 or more - a buff with the fleecy bit is really versatile, some ski goggles (clear lenses if needed), one of the neoprene hannibal lechtet type facemasks or a fleece balaclava, some thermal synthetic undies to wear under long john type thermals so you don't get cold bollocks from sweaty cotton ones. Some re-usable handwarmers (with the disc you crack and can recharge with hot water) in case you get really cold.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#8 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 08:51:29 am
Where are you?

Astana, in the north.

Thanks for the replies.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 09:17:21 am
You got the option of wearing mittens? A lot warmer than gloves, but not very dexterous. I've never owned any, but some people swear by silk thermals.

adam_NE5

• regular
#11 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 02:02:41 pm
I'd definately agree with
a thick Icebreaker baselayer
, and mittens are definately warmer than gloves!
I work for Berghaus in one of their stores and we make a jacket called a furnace (http://berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2016&Gear=2)which is a dual layer jacket with one layer of down and then a layer of primaloft, this means it will be more weatherproof than regular down. Regular down jackets are totally useless once they get wet becuase they no longer trap air! With good baselayers and plenty of midlayers, this plus a hardwearing waterproof should be pretty good! This is not just a shameless plug but it is worth considering down and primaloft at once.
One other thing you have to think about is breathability, if your garments dont breathe nothing is going to help you keep warm because your body will use its own heat to try and evaporate water on your skin, and in really low temps the water vapour in unbreathable garments will super-cool forming condensation which will freeze!
Hope this is helpful mate!

dave

#12 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 02:18:11 pm
a thick Icebreaker baselayer

Is this not simply a baselayer with "two truths and a lie" printed on the front?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 03:05:20 pm
Hell dave, that's cryptic. Took me a while.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#14 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 03:10:01 pm

our old friend helly hansen workwear

dave

#15 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 03:13:31 pm
Hell dave, that's cryptic. Took me a while.

I'll take that as a condiment.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#16 Re: Baltic Clothing
October 12, 2009, 09:06:10 pm
I was going to recommend Javlin fleece suits and heavy duty shells (for commercial fishermen etc), but I'm not convinced that they still exist

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: Baltic Clothing
November 09, 2009, 02:45:02 am
Currently -17°C ambient, -28°C in the wind; but it's still autumn so I'm managing OK w/

Bottoms:  angora leggings + another pair of thermal leggings over them + a pair of bibbed ski pants, & two pairs of thick socks in steel caps.  Occassionally I may put an extra pair of bibbed pants over the top for maximum roastage.

Tops:  thermal layer + a Jack Wolfskin fleece (thick, too hot to wear indoors) + a down jacket + a goretex over to stop the wind.  Two balaclavas and a helmet on top.  Pait of fleecy gloves inside leather gloves when working and a pair of heavily insulated mitts when on the ground.

On the whole it's OK, though a modern fibre alternative to down - Salewa or somesuch - would be better, but because they're thinner, not neccessarily warmer, as we all look like blimps.

The locals look desperate.   

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Baltic Clothing
November 09, 2009, 10:01:09 am
Fur all the way...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal