UKBouldering.com

Lescar Lectures (Read 24476 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#50 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 20, 2009, 04:37:36 pm
If we can't have Jasper Sharpe can we have Richard Sharpe - he would have some great stories about fighting Napoleon.

Dolly

• forum hero
#51 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 20, 2009, 04:50:48 pm
He can also tell us about feighting with Legolas and 'dwaarfs

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#52 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 20, 2009, 06:00:44 pm
"WOuld it not be madness to fight? We come one." Faithless.
Sadly we can't get a better ego, so like everyone, i'm just expressing mine.
Sorry chaps, stiff upper lip and all that.
I thought the climbing scene was more open minded than that, but its so easy to disparage and judge others efforts.
At least I know i am trying and open to conversation.
Good luck dealing with your emotions fellas, at least i am not frightened to look.
The drive for success for gain never got anyone anywhere.
Stand up Steve McClure and mr average punter.
I feel some people are due a humour check out.
It's not so serious, honestly so many of you are so easy to wind up.
Up the punters!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#53 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 20, 2009, 06:22:22 pm
You'll find that most people on these boards are for the most part pretty encouraging and supportive of everyone's efforts, no matter what ability e.g. I'm a punter and have got congrats when I've achieved some of the modest leads I've wanted to do, this in turn has encouraged me to work harder to do more of my ticklist instead of letting it fall by the wayside as it has in previous years and as such have achieved more of the climbs I wanted to lead this year than any previous year (must dig out some more to add to the list and finish of the remainder!).

There are occasions where witch hunts occur because the claims being made just don't stack up, but all in all its very encouraging and open minded.

This might not tally with you're experience of meeting people at the crags/walls, but try and distinguish between the two.

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#54 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 20, 2009, 07:23:17 pm
I generally find my distinguishing monitor is pretty spot on.
At the end of the day who can you trust but yourself.
So indeed finding trusting belays is vital.
Though I have to say my experience of English spotting is terrible, as a generalisation the ENglish are the worst spotters in the world.
Yes i try and avoid cliques.
I used to find the Brit climbing scene very open and joyous experience, but as it becomes more mainstream people have been less friendly. THough alot of the new generation are amiable too.
I am a very friendly fellow believe it or not and Zaff will verify that i'd talk to anyone.
My moral compass is pretty accurate, but at the end of the day we are all part of each other and the reflection we get back is often a reflection of our mind. HOwever, as we are so messed up as a species the mirror we find is often fragmented and not a clear reflection of our truth.
I hope this makes sense.
I'm just love sick, so apologises once again for any misdemeaners, but some of you i'm sure can understand my anger, and perhaps even share it.
THough where i direct it i must take more responsibility, I can not expect the compassion of the closed hearted.
May you all be blessed in life and love and stay relaxed.
Om shanti.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#55 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 20, 2009, 08:58:21 pm
You sound like me - when I was in sixth form.

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#56 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 21, 2009, 12:10:38 am
I wish we were all in sixth form still, ah, the good old days, studying in Sheff on the dole mostly in stoned isolation - i thought alot then.
Never really managed to burn BOnjoy and overthehillguru off though, still they've slowed down abit now.
Though i do remember putting Moonie off with a bit of verbal diaroheea at the Floundary, i thought whoops he's pulled a tendon, but it was just him falling.
You see i thought i'd teach him a lesson in mindfulness, it never worked and i feel he took those comps too serioiusly, at least Moffat enjoyed them in his inimitable way.
The best bit was the awe and expectation when Moonie walkedup  to the wall in birmingham, sadly he never delivered, possibly something to do with him asking for silence or something ... you could have heard a pin drop.  Anyway that was ages ago.  I could never figure out why some people can't onsight near their redpoint grade.  Gaskins is another.  I think once you let go of finding one's being anywhere near the top and just do each move one at a time then somehow miraculously one finds oneself at the so called finnish.  That is until the next problem shows up.  What is it with power wads?  WOlfies trouble, rest his soul, was he forgot about his feet... the more we push with our chunky old legs the easier it is. Right?  Something to do with erm, relaxing i think, but i wouldn't know anything about that!

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#57 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 21, 2009, 12:18:11 am
Furthermore, thanks for the rant outlet, its great therapy, and someone gets to read it.  Anyway i can't keep this up i've a book to finish.
Thanks for all the big ups and downs, whoever you are masquerading as, it lets you know where you stand.
All i want to do is fulfill my potential, i would be daft to do otherwise right?
Now i think that Danny Brookes is a fine fellow.
And that Lucien Cottle, i taught him a thing or two, is he still fat?
Not that i'm an anti-fatist or anything, but it is a bit rife in the old climbing scene.
Up the fat punters - they've got the best footwork!
Rest well, don't work too hard and have a nice day. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PS thanks for the hug lagerfish, have a manly x

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#58 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 21, 2009, 11:05:56 pm
Good morning climbing world, here's a poetic offering, have a nice day.

GRIPPED BY INERTIA

Gripped by the inertia of being seen
The victim heads down into the underworld
Tremulus magnetic waves pulsate
What we are though is always revealed
Hiding from this only creates that
In the realm of social engagement
One cannot escape
In the realm of nature one cannot escape
 It is folly to think or do otherwise.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#59 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 11:15:34 am
Good morning PATRuL
A day in London has left me feeling critical (constructively, I hope) of your work.

In the realm of social engagement
One cannot escape

I disagree.

Social engagement, even face to face, is easy to escape from. Or are you talking about the irrational feeling/fear that to engage in any social contact is to commit to maintaining that relationship? I understand that.

Do you mean that social engagement cannot be used as a means to escape the truth about what we really are? More along the lines of "into the realm of social engagement, one cannot escape". This is worth thinking about.

In the realm of nature one cannot escape
 It is folly to think or do otherwise.

"It is folly to think or try to do otherwise"? Since as you have already said one cannot escape - actually doing it is not possible, but trying is a (foolish) possibility.

Again, I prefer "Into the realm of nature, one cannot escape"; but I can't see how anyone (except the truly fucked) could think that in nature one would see anything but what we really are. The only things that we can escape from by immersing ourselves in nature are the false façades of modern life.

I felt the waves. Kind of conveys the feeling of something very heavy, but without physical mass. Nice

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#60 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 11:23:03 am
Good morning PATRuL
A day in London morning on the lash has left me feeling critical (constructively, I hope) of your work like talking bollocks.

:beer1:  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#61 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 01:55:30 pm
A day in London has left me feeling critical (constructively, I hope) of your work.

I am feeling critical too, but not constructively.

I thought it was a log.

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#62 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 01:59:11 pm
Excellent, lagerfish, a fantastic deconstruction of my poem.
THough to claim any right to its ownership is as futile as thinking you own the pint you are drinking.  Now that is a touchy subject!  Did you spill my pint?  Growl.  Ooh hand bags at 50 paces!
And as for you Mr Sharpe, less taking things to account and you may step nearer to doing your first bold route!  Of course you are a great climber, i feel you got led astray at some point.  The day Moffat taught you a lesson in TOm's cave (Stoney) you took to heart, of course he was going to burn you off, he was the best climber in the world.  No one will ever go and onsight all the worlds problems with quite as much speed as he was consuming those prime lines.  Though that young ONdra chap could certainly make a good fist of it.  Moffat was miles ahead, when the routes were not as physically or technically challenging as they are today and he was full of no mind (mushin) which equates to being in the moment, which is where we need to be if we are to really empower ourselves.  Taking it all too seriously leads to stiffness and fear.
Incidently Mr Sharpe when was the last time you went back 'home' to london town and had the courage to strike up conversation with a complete 'stanger'?  We can only be stangers to our selfs.  If this little tittle tattle has been taken to heart then apologies, but as Bruce Lee said 'don't enter the ring if you can't even take an insult.'  For what its worth Jasper i think you are lovely.  HERe's another little accountancy test  incase you are bored by it all - how many sheiks does it take to rattle and roll?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#63 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:07:06 pm
Good morning PATRuL
A day in London morning on the lash has left me feeling critical (constructively, I hope) of your work like talking bollocks.

:beer1:  :)

wish this was the case

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#64 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:12:27 pm
OK, I'll bite......... but only to correct facts!

1. I only ever climbed in Tom's Cave once, with Quent. He sanbagged me by getting me to pull on to the first move of the original problem (wearing trainers) and then saying "come on Jasper, you've got to flash it now!". I did. We went to Rubicon.

2. I have never lived in London.

No offence taken and no, I will never climb a bold route.  :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#65 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:15:15 pm

And Wednesday.

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#66 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:24:14 pm
Excellent, thank you for clarification, but that was not what i heard, perhaps i misread the smoke signal from my Hillsborough abode, whilst looking in the direction of the Foundary.  Apologies.  Each to their own, be it snow walking, or bouldering, as long as it is done with integrity.  There's alot to be learnt in whatever way we climb.
Here's a fact i once saw Wednesday in Europe, they lost to a german team.  They should bring Cantona out of retirement.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#67 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:38:45 pm
That's ok. I've heard much worse rumours about myself and, of course, I got burned off plenty of times. Just not by Jerry.  ;)

Dolly

• forum hero
#68 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:39:37 pm

And Wednesday.
:o

He's a ex blunt director. I'm not sure he knows that much about football

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#69 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:40:47 pm
That's ok. I've heard much worse rumours about myself and, of course, I got burned off plenty of times. Just not by Jerry.  ;)

I once got served at the bar before Jasper.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#70 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:46:52 pm
 :furious:

PATRuL

• menacing presence
#71 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:54:18 pm
I did a move on his original Shef board once.
Matt Smith's indoor approach never quite worked though, he decided to conquer the coffee world instead.  Does he still push coffee?

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#72 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:54:36 pm

And Wednesday.

I'll never tire of hearing how, as a brewery worker approaching middle age, he was picked from sunday league obscurity to put in a match winning performance for Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. It really does get better with every telling. Magic.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#73 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 02:56:43 pm
What a man. Someone should make a film of that epic tale.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#74 Re: Lescar Lectures
October 22, 2009, 03:07:55 pm
I did a move on his original Shef board once.
Matt Smith's indoor approach never quite worked though, he decided to conquer the coffee world instead.  Does he still push coffee?

Push pineapple, grind coffee.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal