UKBouldering.com

Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m. (Read 4810 times)

Bobling

• menacing presence
Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 17, 2009, 05:46:42 pm
Was good last week if you want to catch up beforehand. Eerie echoes of that John Krakauer book "Into the Wild" (how do you butcher a fully grown moose in the middle of the summer with no handy freezer to keep it in).  Highly reccomend for anyone who has ever thought about heading for the hills with nothing but a hammock, machete and rifle.  Oh and a small electric fence to keep out the bears.  Bears FFS as if the experiment wasn't hard enough there' the element of 'will something come and eat me at a random point in the future' just adds spice.  The presenter seems like a good sort too.  :great:

benpritch

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 17, 2009, 08:48:22 pm
just watched this on 4od. excellent and very compelling. recommended viewing for sure but not a huge amount of insight into how it feels to be completely alone.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#2 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 17, 2009, 10:42:18 pm
I think TV budgets are on the plunge! You can hear the conversation:

'erm, yeah, lets drop this guy in Canada with a handheld for a couple of months, and see what happens... bit of editing, and Bobbie's your dads bruv...!'

However, having said that it's pretty compulsive viewing, think I'll catch the first part.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 09:41:05 am
not a huge amount of insight into how it feels to be completely alone.

Well there's absolutely bugger all insight into anything else. Dunno I can watch any more if it continues to treat the landscape in such a blank manner.

dave

#4 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 09:45:53 am
In contrast it'd be nice to know what john muir would make of being dropped into the winderness with a camcorder.

Stubbs

#5 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 11:33:19 am
I didn't know you could get camcorder batteries that lasted for 35 day, or is that why his bag was so heavy?!  Someone could have at least taught him a nice way to cook a fish, rather than boiling the entire thing!

dave

#6 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 11:39:00 am
would a solar panel be enough to recharge the batts?

You wouldn't catch ray mears sleeping inside an electic fence thats for damn sure.

Stubbs

#7 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 11:50:19 am
I was saying last night, Ray would have built a three storey log hut by the lake and got the bears to deliver him fresh fish and honey each morning.

Edit
This handy site shows that he had a solar panel charger big enough to charge car batteries http://www.channel4.com/programmes/alone-in-the-wild/articles/the-faqs-how-the-programme-was-made

oh and that he was flown over by a helicopter each day...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 12:09:31 pm
More's going on than they let on. In the first one, he had a boat and had to drop his footage off every few days. Second one, no mention of the boat or drops.   :-\

If I was starving, I would think a boat would great low-energy way to get about

Stubbs

#9 Re: Alone in the Wild - Tonight C4, 9.00 p.m.
September 18, 2009, 12:13:04 pm
After having a bit more of a look around that site (yes I'm bored of applying for jobs) it appears he walks about a mile or so from his camp to drop the tapes off each week.  Oh and the Alaska Highway is about 10 miles from his 'wilderness' location.

cofe

• forum hero
i've not seen it, but is this the guy on the programme by any chance?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Is that Bear Grylls?

dave

that's a hell of a turd he's laying.

Bobling

• menacing presence
Yeah of course there is more going on that it lets on.  I did think last night - hang on you're walking three days away from your camp to another lake, when are you going to go back for your boat?  That portage is going to suck.  Still did enjoy it again, his three fish from the mythical salmon river were hilarious.  The bush-bash up the lake was pretty gnarly too "I miss paths", too right mate.  Its amazing how slow you go without a path.

The thought that the pioneers were doing this in the new world with no back up, for years on end is awe inspiring, though they probably posessed many more of the skills needed from everyday life than us supermarket foraging car driving types do. 

Sad to say Britol City library looked blankly at me when I asked if they had anything by John Muir  :-\

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
 :yawn:

Bobling

• menacing presence

Bobling

• menacing presence
To Will Hunt: Shit mate just clicked on your blog and read your blog about the accident. Ouch.  Hope you keep getting better.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Ta.

Programme wasn't my cup of tea.

Bobling

• menacing presence
*Bump* Last one now.

tomtom

• forum hero
Watching tonight for the first time. It's really good..

Bobling

• menacing presence
He he he *sob* He he he *sob*.  Madness.

Eddies

• forum hero
Yeh!
The programme had very good potential... but failed miserably (quite literally) in my opinion.

erm, sam

• forum hero
I thought it was ok. Interesting watching somebody who had dreamed of the adventure realise that adventure is only really fun as an adjunct to mundane daily life rather than as a replacement for it.
Or it shows that without enough food, nothing is fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal