UKBouldering.com

The Climbing Academy - praise (Read 3943 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
The Climbing Academy - praise
September 16, 2009, 05:47:12 pm
I did a bit of (justified) bitching about TCA on here a while back, and visited it today for the first time in a while, and was chuffed to see they now have a woodie. Sure its not the board of my dreams, but it is a moderately steep bit of wall with some smallish skin-friendly wood holds and some screw-on feet. Really good. Also, have put aside some of their hippie ethos and you can now buy promax and energy bars!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 16, 2009, 11:55:12 pm
Next they'll be pushing HGH and DNP.

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 17, 2009, 11:08:04 pm
Praise: +1
I've not yet had a chance to play on the training board:

or the the steep 1/2 spaced campus board:

but both look good and utilise otherwise underused areas.

The Beastmaker is awesome and I will be spending more time on this. Not tried the Bleaustone fingerboard yet but at the very least it'll give a warm up pre Beastmaking, without the danger of being sidetracked into climbing problems instead.

The new white mini circuit that was being put up today already has some good stuff, and looks like it will address the only real issue I had with the place (not enough small holds and hard (^ 7A) problems).

Paul and his staff have made a real effort to respond to suggestions I think - especially to be praised in the current financial climate, and when the changes are really only of benefit to a small fraction of their clientele. Good Work!

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#3 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 18, 2009, 01:46:43 pm
The changes that Paul and co have made in the past few weeks have really improved TCA as a training venue.

The woody is great - my only suggestion would be to add a grid or number the holds so that problems can be recorded. The fingerboards are a great addition and having the two on top of each other means you can transfer onto and off the beastmaker.

The 4 white super-circuit problems set so far look awesome, i can't comment any more because i can't touch them yet!

All of the above demonstrates how committed Paul and Rich are to making TCA the best facility it can be and particularly in the current economic environment continuing development like this is very admirable!

Three Nine

• forum hero
#4 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 18, 2009, 02:14:53 pm
Hear hear. had it written off as a training venue in its first few months, but it seems to be evolving into a facility that caters for more or less everyone.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#5 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 18, 2009, 03:04:35 pm
that half spaced campus board is a pretty good idea 1-4-7.5 in progressing to 1-4-8 and so forth simple genious

Three Nine

• forum hero
#6 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 28, 2009, 07:11:45 pm
 :lol:

get this, I get puntered by Dylan for criticizing TCA, and then  :'( I get puntered by Dylan for praising them. Seems I can't win. Funny, TCA management seemed not to be upset with either. Dont worry Dylan, I wont punter you back. You can even punter me for posting this, no doubt it'll make you feel much better!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 28, 2009, 07:48:53 pm
I puntered you for being a tool. I said that you should have given them more time to respond to criticism rather than bring it up on a public forum...........so what happened............they listened and you apologised.  Tool

Three Nine

• forum hero
#8 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
September 29, 2009, 07:56:28 am
Right you are Dylan

kev.

#9 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
November 21, 2009, 07:01:49 pm
moved down to bristol recently and just got round to going to TCA today, im massively impressed with everything the place has to offer, the only thing it could want for is a contoured wall, and the diversity of ply angles pretty much makes up for this, my only other gripe was the techno tunes, i like techno but just not what was being played.  To say these are the only two things i can possibly think off as negatives, i am without doubt massively impressed. :thumbsup:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
November 22, 2009, 04:59:22 am
Next they'll be pushing HGH and DNP.

Pfft!   Tiger penis all the way for me, the Rhino horn was OK - I'm not saying it was bad - but the gains on cat cock were much greater.

Paul T

• regular
#11 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
November 25, 2009, 11:28:28 am
Thanks for all the constructive feedback guys. We do value the comments that our users make and we act on them where we can. It's taken a little while for us to fully provide for all of our harder climbers, and we're the first to admit that, but we've had to prioritize the bulk of our customers before pumping resources into the minority. We will continue to do our best to cater for the full spectrum of our users though, and invest where and when we feel necessary. We'll also continue to give value to our customers in other ways with our regular open coaching events and we've got a members day coming up where all registered members can come and use the centre for free.
We have an online guestbook so that users can leave their comments and suggestions - or read those of others, an online noticeboard for questions, discussion or sales, and Rich and I are usually around if you want to make any comments or suggestions in person.
@Kev We play a variety of music, usually dance orientated in the evenings. If there's anything that you especially like (the style of techno or producers that you rate for instance) then I'm happy to get hold of of some and pump it into the collection. I'm usually spinning some tunes on Tuesday evenings too and am pretty flexible in the styles of electronica that I play. Just let me know.
Have fun and pull hard

Three Nine

• forum hero
#12 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
November 25, 2009, 11:37:18 am
Its really good now you've got some bleaustone holds, especially the trainingstone ones, they're brill. The holdz holds are however have got to be the worst commercially available holds out there in terms of skin damage! Its really nice having the board too, though some of the pine holds are starting to splinter (hardwood is really the way).

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#13 Re: The Climbing Academy - praise
November 25, 2009, 11:55:26 am
Paul, lets discuss those teeny tiny little crimps on the new red circuit!  ;) They hurt like buggery! I've now got an attractive multi-layered effect on my front 3 where the crimps have worn through the skin.

They're damn fine training aids though!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal