UKBouldering.com

Interesting new approach to elbow tendinitis (Read 3679 times)

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
Interesting new approach to elbow tendinitis
September 11, 2009, 03:16:03 am
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

Worth a read, I'm going to buy one of those therapy bars and give it a try. Will post any progress.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Looks more portable than half a dumbell, so could be used during the day in the office  :thumbsup:

If Dr. Timothy Tyler’s method doesn't work, you could try Dr Timothy Leary's method

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Reading the abstract, it's a small study and the control group did no resistance exercise so I think this is mostly another confirmation that chronic tendinosis should be treated with high load / low reps. exercises. Most people suggest these should be eccentric though I'm not convinced that the tendon 'feels' eccentric and concentric load any differently.  I wonder if making exercises eccentric is just a way of increasing the load.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?   

The bar is clever way of providing the resistance and it's neat and light which probably encourages people to keep doing the exercises regularly.  The downside is that it must be hard to monitor the load and so difficult know how vigorously you should be twisting. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:31:09 pm by duncan »

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
You could use progressive resistance by buying larger latex dildos. Perhaps working up to a rubber fist.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
You could use progressive resistance by buying lager

in pints, which are drunk quickly = high weight low reps

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'll test that theory out later lagers. My elbows are fine though.

Durbs

• forum hero
I was going to suggest eccentric exercises like jogging wilst playing the panpipes wearing nothing but a scarf and winking suggestively at anyone nearby.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I was going to suggest jogging pipes wearing nothing but wanking anyone nearby.

:o

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I'll test that theory out later lagers. My elbows are fine though.

Proof that this technique works retrospectively. Alan Turing will be sending gay AIs back from the future to cure everyone's tendon issues just to show that he doesn't hold a grudge.

tomtom

• forum hero
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

Worth a read, I'm going to buy one of those therapy bars and give it a try. Will post any progress.

Looks interesting - they come in three flavours, easy med and hard, the red one used in the vid is easy... which one to try?  :shrug:

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
Interesting product.  I rely heavily on eccentric exercises using dumbells for keeping my golfers elbow in check. However when going on a climbing trip its not realy practicle to transport a dumbell around with you - especially if your flying!  I'm interested in trying out one of these bars and will probably order from Amazon.  For anyone else thinking of getting one, it may be worth noting that i have found the following reviews;

http://the-therapy-connection.com/B000P7YMW0/M/B000P7YMW0.htm

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Most people suggest these should be eccentric though I'm not convinced that the tendon 'feels' eccentric and concentric load any differently.  I wonder if making exercises eccentric is just a way of increasing the load.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?   

That is Saunders reasoning - to increase the load whilst minimising the stress:

http://www.athlon.com.au/articles/r&i_dodgyelbow.pdf

"We are interested in an eccentric load (a.k.a. negative contraction) only.This will stimulate the tendon to strengthen without putting too much duress on the muscle. How? The muscle is about 40-percent stronger when contracting eccentrically. Hence, it is not stimulated to strengthen to the same degree as
the tendon. Because the tendon has a vastly smaller blood supply, gains
in strength take longer."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal