UKBouldering.com

Torridon knowledge (Read 3808 times)

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
Torridon knowledge
September 06, 2009, 09:01:14 pm
I'm heading to Torridon over the New Year  :dance1: and I'm hoping to get some bouldering done (hopefully it'll be crisp and dry) - I'm looking for any topo's or beta on the best sub V5 bouldering in the area - I've been on the Stone Country website, so I'm aware of the ship boulder / Celtic Jumble and also the guide that is available from the Youth Hostel,

on the walk up Beinn Liath this year I noticed loads of boulders at a lowish level, but I was wondering if there was anything documented that is available on the web that I could start salivating over...?

Any knowledge gratefully received, cheers y'all ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 14, 2009, 11:46:30 am
Hope for your sake it is crisp and dry and the bog is frozen, but take wellies and a tarp just in case. In mid winter I think the Ship Boulder may be unfeasible if it has been raining a lot, but theere are some tiers of rock that say dry.

There is loads of stuff that is undocumented, as well as the stuff described in Bouldering in Scotland. Not seen the guide from the Hostel you speak of. A lot if it is follow your nose and try waht you like the look of. I know there has been some other development on the tiers on the way up to Seana Mheallan that get more sun and stay dry underfoot. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 14, 2009, 12:13:15 pm
I know there has been some other development on the tiers on the way up to Seana Mheallan that get more sun and stay dry underfoot.

The tiers themselves were sopping wet a couple of weeks ago (even the top one we climbed on had lots of seepage) and I thought it might be the case that they never dried out due to being north-ish facing.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#3 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 14, 2009, 12:30:36 pm
TO be fair it could be a total punt based on the time of year, crag position etc, but as we're there anyway it seems a shame not to put the mat in. Cheers for the advice, might give the hostel a ring - there is a hell of a lot of rock to explore and a topo would be good for direction and add some structure to the trip.

Thanks chaps

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 14, 2009, 02:40:31 pm
sopping wet

Sopping is preferable to potential calf deep bog that the flats around the Ship can be in heavy rainfall. Hopefully it will be nice and wintery for you so you can get one of the classic gullys or ridges done.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 15, 2009, 12:27:41 am
Well we did have to slog up what I'd describe as "45o bog" to get to the upper tier of Seana Mheallan! :lol:

P.S. - Did a couple of routes at Ardeshlaig too (till we got soaked and my friends back said no more), nice venue and routes, cheers for the recommendation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 15, 2009, 08:00:30 am
No worries, shame it isn't a bit steeper! Be a nice spot in winter I reckon, sunny and sheltered. What else you get done?

(sorry for hijack rginns, but you might get some useful beta).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 15, 2009, 08:16:32 am
Not masses unfortunately as my friend has a bad back that was playing up.

At Seanna Mheallan we did In The Groove, Rejection and Rowantree Crack.  Two routes at Ardheslaig and as mentioned missed Agag's Groove on Buchaille.  Lots of walking and photographs though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Torridon knowledge
September 15, 2009, 08:23:20 am
Nice pics

richieb

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Torridon knowledge
October 09, 2009, 07:19:06 pm
I dont think you can still get a topo from the youth hostel. If you can, its gonna be way out of date anyway. The stonecountry book has the most up to date info. Most new stuff done since the book was published  (in the ship boulder area) will have been reported on the stonecountry site.
Theres a decent patio at the ship these days so it is still possible to have a session even if the pond is in full effect, but expect to get a waterlogged pad! As Chris says if you are lucky the pond will be frozen solid. Im pretty certain this would have been the case last new year.
There is an erratic that sits just above the Torridon/Shieldaig road that is worth a visit. I think Nick Carter still has a topo on his site alphamountaineering.com.
Hope you have a good trip, might even see you over there.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#10 Re: Torridon knowledge
November 03, 2009, 09:40:43 pm
Cheers richieb the alphamountaineering website had the balgy boulder topo and that's pretty close to Torridon, which is useful. I guess it's just a case of having a good old look around and find what I find, but that's definitely a good start, so cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Torridon knowledge
November 04, 2009, 08:05:36 am
If you just head to the ship boulder and follow your nose you will find tons of obvious stuff, enough for days. Balgy is just a single boulder, worth stopping if passing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal