UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425463 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1725 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 04, 2024, 09:00:35 am
Trigger Point
Just finished watching series 2 last night,  I thought it was brilliant,  it had some decent performances and a remarkably large amount of action and a high body count for a TV drama.  Recommended.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1726 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 15, 2024, 09:18:28 am

The Australian one is also compelling viewing with a lot of major twists, well worth a watch.

Watch Season 2. Unbelievable if it's genuine and it's not all scripted.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1727 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 15, 2024, 09:21:32 am
Anyone mention Lupin?

Entertaining French heist caper. Great lead actor, some less great support roles and you do sometimes need to not question the plot and character traits too much, but a total hoot and very watchable. Netflix.

We're down to the final episode in season 3....

TobyD

• forum hero
#1728 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 19, 2024, 05:31:56 pm
Anyone mention Lupin?

Entertaining French heist caper. Great lead actor, some less great support roles and you do sometimes need to not question the plot and character traits too much, but a total hoot and very watchable. Netflix.

We're down to the final episode in season 3....

I watched season one and quite enjoyed it but not enough to have Immediately watched any more. As you say, it's watchable and fun, if a little silly.

Recently watched Deadwater Fell, on netflix. 4 part drama (originally on C4) which I thought was very good as a drama, though pretty grim. David Tennant is disturbingly good at playing really unpleasant human beings.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1729 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 19, 2024, 07:31:20 pm
Storyville: Navalny

A fly on the wall documentary of the Russian dissident’s few months in exile in Germany and his subsequent return to Russia. There is something deeply poignant about seeing a man get on a plane to travel to his eventual death, in the full knowledge that it was a very likely outcome. He was clearly a charismatic and intelligent man with an excellent understanding of modern media and social media, though I would have liked a bit more probing of his background, which this character study didn’t have much room for. Still, the film gives a good sense of his appeal and extraordinary strength of purpose.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1730 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 19, 2024, 08:22:49 pm
Agree, tough watch towards the end.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1731 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 20, 2024, 09:37:55 am
David Tennant is disturbingly good at playing really unpleasant human beings.

Certainly has a knack!

TobyD

• forum hero
#1732 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 02, 2024, 10:23:09 am
Painkiller
 I don't remember this being mentioned before, a pretty good docu-drama and worth watching. 
Although the subject is familiar,  it is made fresher by some good performances,  especially Broderick as a rebarbative Richard Sackler. The depiction of addiction is raw and fairly convincing,  although I'm sure theres a considerable amount of dramatisation,  it gets the point across.  It's on Netflix. 

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1733 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2024, 01:31:33 pm
Shogun on Disney is pretty good. Only three episodes out (of 10), but enthralling. Needs concentration as largely subtitled Japanese.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1734 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2024, 03:02:46 pm
One Day

A Netflix adaptation of a novel (which I’ve not read) that has already been made into a film (which I’ve not seen), this is a romantic story that follows the lives of Emma and Dexter on every July 15th, from their meeting at a university ball in late 80s though to adult life in London in the 00s. Emma is working class, northern and a bit spiky, Dexter is posh, southern and graced with languid charm. Will they? Or won’t they?

The writing is pretty good but the two young actors are outstanding. The chemistry between them is spot on and each individual performance is super. Dexter is a bit of a twat but I still really cared about him. The producers made a very good choice on casting Ambika Mod (from This is Going to Hurt) to play Emma - great to see an Asian woman as the lead character. The only problem is at the end, where a couple of episodes fall a bit flat and let the whole series down, but a decent final pretty much redeems it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1735 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2024, 04:43:35 pm
Great review Sean. We loved it (and yeah now you say it, the ending is a little flat but it’s all still very worthwhile).  W says the book is great and the TV adaptation very faithful.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1736 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2024, 06:17:38 pm
Another recommendation for shogun, it’s not going to blow your socks off but is very watchable.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1737 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 09, 2024, 07:39:36 pm
One Day was, I’m fairly sure, the first streaming box-set I’ve actually seen in full. Ellie binge-watched it as soon as it came out and insisted I watch it. It being Valentine’s Day, I had little choice. They always get you when you’re down…

Agree, I thought Ambika was outstanding, look forward to what she does in the future. Didn’t ever warm to Dex, being perhaps a little close to home, but I’d did enjoy the ‘Moriaty’ episode, particularly the parents’ performance, and I didn’t hate him enough to not feel sorry at the end.

The film seems to be universally panned.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1738 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 08:42:29 am
Loving Shogun, another vote here for this. Didn't realise until Googling that the book was a total smash hit at the time, a la Da Vinci Code .

I remember it being around growing up as my Dad was a Japan fan. He even had a WWII Katana complete with dried blood but he sold it as my Mum wasn't into it! Might have been worth a packet by now

rodma

• forum hero
#1739 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 09:10:50 am
Also currently enjoying shogun, despite (and possibly partly because of) the weird choice of accent (main character's that is).

For once, Mrs rodma is also enjoying this, making it the only thing in this list that doesn't fall into the "what is this nonsense you're watching" category (except I presume detectorists which must be several hundred posts back)

I remember half seeing the original series on TV when my folks watched it, but needles to say I haven't remembered any of what was going on.

I also remember seeing the book on the bookshelves in the house, since my folks fell firmly into the "look at all these books we've read" category of people.

stone

• forum abuser
#1740 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 10:36:45 am
For once, Mrs rodma is also enjoying this, making it the only thing in this list that doesn't fall into the "what is this nonsense you're watching" category (except I presume detectorists which must be several hundred posts back)
I just searched for detectorists on this site and failed to find it. Someone at work recently said he loves it. I'm always keen to hear Don Walker's amazing dectectorist experiences when he's at the crag with Ethan. (eg https://www.archaeology.org/issues/146-1409/trenches/2377-england-dovedale-coin-hoard )

Does detectorists the TV program get a general recommendation from people on here?

webbo

• forum hero
#1741 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 10:40:44 am
I just searched for detectorists on this site and failed to find it. Someone at work recently said he loves it. I'm always keen to hear Don Walker's amazing dectectorist experiences when he's at the crag with Ethan. (eg https://www.archaeology.org/issues/146-1409/trenches/2377-england-dovedale-coin-hoard )

Does detectorists the TV program get a general recommendation from people on here?
Yes 👍

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1742 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 10:41:42 am
One of the best ever Stone (in my humble opinion).

seankenny

• forum hero
#1743 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 11:43:26 am
A very solid yes from me too. One of the high points of British television.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1744 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 10, 2024, 10:48:25 pm
Sure I read recommendations on here, so it must have been mentioned before, doesn't come up in searches though. It's great.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1745 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 11, 2024, 06:28:44 pm
Chinook: Zulu Delta 576.

BBC iPlayer.

Two parts.

Bastards.

SamT

• forum hero
#1746 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 08:14:00 am

Absolutly, beautiful, soulful and very funny.

Its on Netflix at the moment I think

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1747 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 09:09:41 am
Didn't realise there was another series of Gone Fishing. My happy place, love these guys.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1748 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 09:12:02 am
I have never remotely understood the attraction of Gone Fishing. I have tried but I just don't get it.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1749 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 12, 2024, 09:19:09 am
Detectorists is absolutely top notch (slightly awkward blokes with an odd obsession anyone?). Coincidently watched 'Beast' at the weekend with Johnny Flynn (Detectorists theme tune).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal