UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 428341 times)

Ged

• junky
#1075 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2021, 11:57:24 am
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Serpent on BBC Iplayer.  I'm enjoying this a lot.  It's pretty chilling/unsettling, and one of those where you end up really despising the baddy, to the extent that I think I'd struggle to have a conversation with the actor without wishing him harm.  WHich I suppose is a testament to the writing and acting.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1076 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2021, 12:52:59 pm
We've just binged It's A Sin on All4 - the new Russell T. Davies thing. As you'd expect it's excellent.

remus

• forum hero
#1077 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 27, 2021, 10:05:16 pm
We've just binged It's A Sin on All4 - the new Russell T. Davies thing. As you'd expect it's excellent.

Just watches the first episode, hooked already! Thanks for the recommendation.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1078 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 28, 2021, 07:59:10 am
Lupin

Watched the first episode, passingly entertaining, but pretty overrated I thought. I don't know if you can watch it with subtitles instead of the dubbing, which I found distracting.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1079 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 28, 2021, 09:00:01 am

I love RTD's stuff - Years And Years was brilliant as well.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1080 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 28, 2021, 09:39:20 am

Agreed on both It's A Sin (first episode was great, looking forward to rest) and RTDs other stuff.  He also seems like a really decent bloke and appears to a be very good interviewee - good interview on Pilot TV podcast last week, his Desert Island DIsc's is a great (if emotional) listen

Stabbsy

• junky
#1081 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 28, 2021, 09:52:19 am
Lupin

Watched the first episode, passingly entertaining, but pretty overrated I thought. I don't know if you can watch it with subtitles instead of the dubbing, which I found distracting.
Depends what you're looking for. A lot of the better (from a critical perspective) stuff we've watched recently has been pretty dark with some fairly unpleasant characters - Serpent, Ozark, Cardinal. Sometimes it's just nice to have some entertaining escapism and I thought Lupin fitted that description quite well. The dubbing became less distracting after the first episode.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1082 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 28, 2021, 04:33:58 pm

Agreed on both It's A Sin (first episode was great, looking forward to rest) and RTDs other stuff.  He also seems like a really decent bloke and appears to a be very good interviewee - good interview on Pilot TV podcast last week, his Desert Island DIsc's is a great (if emotional) listen

Well (no spoilers, I think it's obvious it isn't exactly a barrel of laughs) you'll be in for some emotion with It's A Sin too. Me and the missus were both in pieces towards the end.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1083 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 28, 2021, 06:54:29 pm
Lupin

Depends what you're looking for. A lot of the better (from a critical perspective) stuff we've watched recently has been pretty dark with some fairly unpleasant characters - Serpent, Ozark, Cardinal. Sometimes it's just nice to have some entertaining escapism and I thought Lupin fitted that description quite well. The dubbing became less distracting after the first episode.
Lupin is pretty powderpuff. In a good way, it's easy to watch, good fun with an interesting thread running through it.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1084 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 30, 2021, 01:18:19 pm
Lupin

Lupin is pretty powderpuff. In a good way, it's easy to watch, good fun with an interesting thread running through it.

watched two episodes now, I still thought it was really mediocre, perhaps I prefer watching something really grim at the moment to reassure myself that the world in which we're currently living isn't quite as shit.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1085 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 31, 2021, 03:36:09 pm
I know The Guardian has been hyping it a lot, but if you like your comedy a bit vaudeville / old skool, then Call My Agent is worth a watch.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1086 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 05, 2021, 10:22:35 pm

Well (no spoilers, I think it's obvious it isn't exactly a barrel of laughs) you'll be in for some emotion with It's A Sin too. Me and the missus were both in pieces towards the end.

You're not wrong, just watched the last episode with wife and daughter, everyone completely broken!  Absolutely brilliant piece of work.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1087 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 08:01:35 am
  Lance documentary on iPlayer is well worth watching.
Despite endless other ones, this is a remarkable portrait of a fascinating guy, a hero, but a really horrible one.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#1088 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 08:09:34 am
Lance documentary on iPlayer is well worth watching.
Despite endless other ones, this is a remarkable portrait of a fascinating guy, a hero, but a really horrible one.

Watched this and the last episode of The Trump Show on the same afternoon.......spooky comparisons in the level of arrogance and hubris.

Both a good watch.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1089 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 08:48:11 am
Expanse series is now complete for those not wanting to watch an episode a week. Best sci fi around IMO.

Vikings also finished up the final season.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:17:12 am by teestub »

seankenny

• forum hero
#1090 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 10:13:25 am
Can anyone who's seen It's a Sin let me know how explicit it is? We have my mother-in-law living with us at the moment and she's quite a conservative fifty-something Asian lady... so if there's too much bumming, we can't really watch it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#1091 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 10:35:20 am
Sean. Don't do it. It's very explicit!

IanP

• forum abuser
#1092 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 10:46:19 am
Can anyone who's seen It's a Sin let me know how explicit it is? We have my mother-in-law living with us at the moment and she's quite a conservative fifty-something Asian lady... so if there's too much bumming, we can't really watch it.

What TTT said.  Its a Sin is brilliant and a must watch but it definitely doesn't mess around in depictions of sex in 80s London gay scene.  We're mid 50s and watched with 21 year old daughter but none of us are 'conservative' - I wouldn't have chosen to watch with my parents.

remus

• forum hero
#1093 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 10:50:12 am

What everyone else said. There's lots of bumming. Would only watch if you enjoy seeing your mother in law squirm.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1094 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 11:08:27 am
Thanks guys.

My MIL is fairly open minded and has no problem with gay people, just not sure she'd appreciate too much of the actual shennanigans. 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1095 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 11:11:14 am
Thanks guys.

My MIL is fairly open minded and has no problem with gay people, just not sure she'd appreciate too much of the actual shennanigans.

Going to swim against the tide a bit here and say maybe its worth a go; sounds like your MIL is pretty enlightened compared to lots of other 50 year olds and might get a lot out of watching it? Its amazing TV.

seankenny

• forum hero
#1096 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 11:17:45 am
Thanks guys.

Going to swim against the tide a bit here and say maybe its worth a go; sounds like your MIL is pretty enlightened compared to lots of other 50 year olds and might get a lot out of watching it? Its amazing TV.

So the other thing about watching TV with the MIL is that her English is okay but not great, so to ensure she gets all the details/context there are frequent small translation breaks (this is less frustrating than it sounds). I'm not sure my better half is really up for an explainer on the 80s London gay scene...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1097 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 11:21:05 am
Seems reasonable!

seankenny

• forum hero
#1098 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 11:31:11 am
Especially since we still have several episodes of Monty Don's "Around the World in 80 Gardens" to work through! (Which is actually pretty good too.)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1099 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 11, 2021, 11:42:06 am
Especially since we still have several episodes of Monty Don's "Around the World in 80 Gardens" to work through! (Which is actually pretty good too.)

Your MIL will probably be chatting to her friends next week “ffs, all we watched was Monty Dons bloody gardens. I wanted to see lots of bumming in Its A Sin!”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal