UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 426696 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#725 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
March 19, 2018, 10:44:29 pm
Quite enjoying altered carbon so far, only 2 episodes in though.

Collateral was OK... 6/10 being generous. Just about worth watching but disappointing I thought

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#726 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2018, 09:50:46 am
Really enjoyed Dave Allen at Peace on the BBC.  Aiden Gillen (sp) does a great job playing Allen. 

I used to stay up late to watch him on the TV when I was little - probably didn’t understand much of it loved watching him.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#727 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 08, 2018, 10:26:29 am
Enjoyed the first episode of The City And The City. Looking forward to watching the next ones.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#728 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 09, 2018, 08:17:34 pm
I was skeptical about whether Philomena Cunk would be able to sustain a 30 minute show. I'd say she did well. It's on iPlayer.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#729 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 10, 2018, 09:21:10 am
For fans of Scandi-noir - if for whatever reason you haven't seen The Bridge, all 3 series are available on iPlayer in advance on series 4 coming on in May.

One of the best shows of the genre IMO, get it watched!

TobyD

• forum hero
#730 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 12, 2018, 10:35:58 am
Better Call Saul

Before I started watching this, I'd discounted it as a pointless spin off, and probably would have just left it a few years and watched Breaking Bad again. Watched season 1&2 on a recent trip, now into season 3, and it's really good. It lacks some of the really nice cinematography of BB, but makes up for it with a warm-hearted, wry sense of humour. Many of the performances are really good, and it has a much stronger, more likeable female character than BB.

That was one reservation (not criticism!) I had about BB: it seemed to verge on misogynistic in its portrayal of the women in it. Lydia, Skyler, Maria, and Jesse's heroin addict girlfriend all seem to lack the humanity and depth of character development which you get with Walt and Jesse. However, I suppose there are also many supporting male characters who are, necessarily, not developed as fully.

Anyway apologies for massive aside, BCS is brilliant, give it a go. Warning, the first episode is not the strongest, but give a few episodes, and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you liked BB.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#731 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 14, 2018, 10:52:59 am
Better Call Saul is indeed brilliant. Great character development and it brings an incredible depth to the character you see in breaking bad.

I've been watching The Money Heist on netflix. This is amazing.

Also watched altered carbon which is a cool concept but the story is pretty weak. Stayed for the visuals.

TobyD

• forum hero
#732 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 14, 2018, 04:17:31 pm
Better Call Saul is indeed brilliant. Great character development and it brings an incredible depth to the character you see in breaking bad.

I've been watching The Money Heist on netflix. This is amazing.

Also watched altered carbon which is a cool concept but the story is pretty weak. Stayed for the visuals.

Totally agree with your opinion on BCS and AC, not seen the money heist yet, cheers: another one for the list :-)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#733 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 15, 2018, 11:11:30 pm
Recently finished watching the second series of Dirk Gently on Netflix. Whilst I enjoyed the first series it took me a while to forgive them for deviating quite so much from Douglas Adams' brilliant original character and stories, however once you are past that it's good fun and worth watching. The second series with a much higher budget takes the general batshit craziness to another level. You totally have to switch off your 'that's not realistic' measure and don't even try and explain or justify any of the craziness. That said actually I would argue what they do rather well (and the late Mr Adams may well approve off) is achieving an impressive general level of weirdness but alongside some very likeable characters that you genuinely care about despite their next level strangeness. DG himself is probably one of the most irritating ones but even he has his moments. Generally recommended, especially if you wish to escape 'reality' for a bit.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#734 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 16, 2018, 08:45:41 am
Enjoyed the first episode of The City And The City. Looking forward to watching the next ones.

Is that based on the sci-fi novel by what’sisname?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#735 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 16, 2018, 09:36:11 am

Yeah, it was OK. Felt a bit slow going. Worth a watch if you enjoyed the book.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#736 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 16, 2018, 10:27:45 am
Thanks Will - I’ll check it out.  I enjoyed the book.  China Mieville - just remembered his name.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#737 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 18, 2018, 09:02:07 pm
Nice cameo from Turnip on the new Tom Kerridge show tonight
Start of a new tv career Dan?? :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#738 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 19, 2018, 09:02:25 am
I was skeptical about whether Philomena Cunk would be able to sustain a 30 minute show. I'd say she did well. It's on iPlayer.

A couple of proper laugh out loud moments. Missus thought it was crap and stupid though, so sums it up as to the appeal.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#739 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 20, 2018, 10:08:22 am

Yeah, it was OK. Felt a bit slow going. Worth a watch if you enjoyed the book.

I enjoyed The City & The City - binge watched it over two days last weekend. I vaguely remembered the book. My wife hadn't read the book but really enjoyed the mini-series nonetheless. For me it's a brilliant concept but the story sort of falters and fades at the end. One of those stories that could have been absolutely amazing but ends up being just pretty good.

Also watched Annihilation on Netflix, another book I'd read but not remembered very well. Film changes the ending somewhat, didn't really work for me. But not sure a faithfully transcribed version of the book would work as a film. I found it quite eerie and horrible and didn't enjoy it much.

Other things:
True Cost - also on Netflix. A documentary expose of the fashion industry and how 'fast fashion' has wide-reaching social and environmental costs. I liked this a lot.

Didn't know they were doing a new series of The Bridge - very exciting - second the recommendation above, for me this is the best crime/thriller series I've seen. The Killing (Scandi version) also well worth a watch if you liked The Bridge.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#740 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 20, 2018, 11:02:41 am
Didn't know they were doing a new series of The Bridge - very exciting - second the recommendation above, for me this is the best crime/thriller series I've seen. The Killing (Scandi version) also well worth a watch if you liked The Bridge.

Yeah, we started with The Killing and now watch pretty much whatever BBC4 Saturday night foreign language thriller is on.

Really glad we've started back at the beginning, so many things I'd forgotten about or not noticed just in series 1, least of all that the first line of episode one is "Saga Noren Landskrim Malmo"!

TobyD

• forum hero
#741 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2018, 08:20:43 am
The Money Heist
Only seen episode one so far.... But it seems rather derivative and isn't really grabbing me at the moment; do I persist, does it develop, or more of the same?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#742 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 28, 2018, 06:08:37 pm
For fans of Scandi-noir - if for whatever reason you haven't seen The Bridge, all 3 series are available on iPlayer in advance on series 4 coming on in May.

One of the best shows of the genre IMO, get it watched!

I had not seen the Bridge and have now finished series 1 on iplayer.  Bloody awesome, although I was a bit of an emotional wreck afterwards. Thoroughly recommended. Hope the other series are as good.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#743 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 30, 2018, 09:15:43 am
MOUNTAIN
BBC4/ iplayer

Oh God, what a disappointment. I'm always a bit leery of Macfarlane (see book thread), but to be honest the script was the least worst bit. If you want to see a load of random clips of skiing, BASE etc in a ceaseless over-caffeinated sugary drink company xtreme montage devoid of context, narrative or point go to youtube, at least you'll be spared the music.

'The end result is quite repetitive, and there are times when the music is overbearing - Radio Times. Understatement at its finest.

To think I nearly took the wife to the cinema for this. I'd have been barred from ever choosing a film again.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#744 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 30, 2018, 10:38:34 am
I saw Mountain in the cinema and thought it was great, and loved the music. It takes all sorts! I also like Macfarlane thought so maybe its more my sort of thing.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#745 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 30, 2018, 10:53:52 am
I like Macfarlane too. But I don't love him. Maybe it worked better in the cinema? I just didn't get the point.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#746 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 30, 2018, 11:07:39 am
The Money Heist
Only seen episode one so far.... But it seems rather derivative and isn't really grabbing me at the moment; do I persist, does it develop, or more of the same?

It's a slow burner Toby - stick with it. And derivative...pshhhh, I'm of the opinion that quite a lot of decent British crime drama has a lot to thank The Killing and The Bridge for!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#747 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 30, 2018, 07:42:10 pm
I’m afraid I’m mostly with JB on Mountain and was also counting myself lucky I hasn’t paid to see it*.

The climbing sections were  all recycled from other films as far as I could tell, starting as it meant to continue with Honnold soloing. Impressive of course but probably rather familiar if you’re here.

It wanted to have its cake and eat it with the now-compulsory dig at guided trips up Everest and over-caffeinated sugary drink company TV, only to include extended sequences of the latter.

One of the big selling points on the poster was the specially recorded sound track. And what did they specially record? Vivaldi’s Four bloody Seasons, presumably because there are only 187** existing recordings and the world desperately needs the 188th. It sounded over-blown through a neutral home hi-fi, I hate to think what it would sound like through a cinema set-up.

Non-climbers might like it.

*Fortunately it's on iplayer and you can decide whether we're astute critics or grumpy old curmudgeons.

**probably an underestimate
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:49:25 pm by duncan »

TobyD

• forum hero
#748 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 30, 2018, 11:54:31 pm
The Money Heist

It's a slow burner Toby - stick with it. And derivative...pshhhh, I'm of the opinion that quite a lot of decent British crime drama has a lot to thank The Killing and The Bridge for!

Ok thanks TTT. I'll give it more of a chance. Have you watched Line of Duty? One of the best things I've ever seen

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#749 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 01, 2018, 08:51:15 am
Crap - sorry, only just spotted you were referring to The Money Heist and not The Bridge!

Think my point stands re the latter though - it's interesting to see how UK crime drama has become a lot more "noir", and there's definitely been a rise in socially awkward / non-cool detectives.

re: Call Of Duty, I've not seen it despite my other half having done and raving about it. I always kept telling myself I'd catch up on iPlayer then fell too far behind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal