UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425307 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1325 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 08:50:36 am
What we do in the Shadows, Series 3, now up. I need to e in a frame of mind when i can actually appreciate it before I start watching.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1326 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 10:43:40 am
Half way through Shetland on iplayer at the moment,  watchable and reasonably good without being exceptional,  good performances but I find some of the accents a bit challenging.  6.5/10

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1327 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 11:32:38 am
You mean "Shandy"?!

Agree - tries to be a bit more than what it is, but we find it pleasantly watchable, and the scenery is nice.

We started watching Close To Me on the C4 catchup last night, seems interesting after first episode.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#1328 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 12:45:33 pm
but I find some of the accents a bit challenging.  6.5/10

Challenging how? Hard to understand or inauthentic?

I'm enjoying it, but the fact that only 1 cast member is actually from Shetland kinda grates.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#1329 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 08:37:20 pm
"For almost 40 years Ken Smith has shunned conventional life and lived without electricity or running water in a hand-made log cabin on the banks of a remote loch in the Scottish Highlands."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59174870

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011hp3

Yossarian

• forum hero
#1330 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 10:19:10 pm
Has anyone mentioned Blair & Brown (on iPlayer)? I've been quite mesmerised by this...

TobyD

• forum hero
#1331 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 09, 2021, 10:27:29 pm

I'm enjoying it, but the fact that only 1 cast member is actually from Shetland kinda grates.

The former!  Having grown up in South Devon its probably not surprising... I wouldn't know how authentic or otherwise they were. 

ali k

• junky
#1332 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 10, 2021, 08:21:21 am
The Long Call; on ITV this week. Pretty good based on having watched the first episode. Whodunnit drama based in north Devon, with more interesting details than a generic standard.
Apart from the lovely coastal shots of Devon I didn’t think much of this. Poor acting, and I felt no connection with the deceased as he was ultimately just always a body with no back story so I wasn’t that fussed who’d dunnit. Also some important issues (sexual consent and coercive control behaviour) felt a bit shoe horned in. Just my 2p.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#1333 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 10, 2021, 11:41:59 am

The former!  Having grown up in South Devon its probably not surprising... I wouldn't know how authentic or otherwise they were.

Ha! That's fair enough. I grew up in Somerset but have been in Scotland for over half my life now. The character of Sandy is the only one with a Shetlandic accent, the rest mostly sound like they're from Glasgow to me. Regardless, it's all good fun!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1334 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 10, 2021, 01:04:10 pm
I absorbed it organically too.

realised I'd become "localised" when once watching The Trawlermen with an English (Surrey based) relative, and following the Peterhead / Doric dialogue fine, when she asked what Language it was that they were speaking.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1335 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 11, 2021, 10:04:59 pm
Watching The Last Mountain just now... seems a  bit veveuristic and unforfortable. Not sure what to make of it.

BBC2 on iplayer.

Should have said - Story of Tom Ballard / Alison Hargreaves K2 Nanga Parbat etc.

I'm watching this now. I think it's brilliant. I found the reunion with big Ibrahim really touching.

ali k

• junky
#1336 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 15, 2021, 01:20:58 pm
Been enjoying The Outlaws on BBC. Directed by and starring Stephen Merchant (as well as Christopher Walken who is brilliant in it). Mostly a lighthearted crime thriller set in Bristol but with some darker moments thrown in.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1337 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 15, 2021, 03:23:37 pm
So we've just finished watching Close To Me (C4) - started off interesting, but I got increasingly frustrated by the narrative structure, which comprised of loads of exposition followed by a cliffhanger ending

I especially hated the use of basically "it was all a dream" as a plot device, where the (head injured) protagonist is having flashbacks / hallucinations. Valid in the context of the story I guess, but it was used repeatedly as a way of chucking plot twists / red herrings into the mix.

It did make some interesting points about "empty-nest" syndrome, the menopause and its effects on a marriage, and wider things about domestic violence, but never got the sense it was saying those things in a clear enough way.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#1338 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 19, 2021, 11:30:12 am
Guilt on BBC is a bit like a Scottish Better Call Saul. It's also got a really good soundtrack.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1339 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 19, 2021, 02:01:47 pm
Guilt on BBC is a bit like a Scottish Better Call Saul. It's also got a really good soundtrack.

I posted higher up after the first episode and really enjoyed the whole thing.  Maybe got a little convoluted at the end but the characters and atmosphere (including the soundtrack as you say) meant it really worked for me overall.  Maybe more a Scottish Fargo?   Didn't seem to get much in the way of hype/media coverage but would definitely recommend, starting with Series 1 for anyone who hasn't seen it - only 4 episodes each series so not too much of a commitment,

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#1340 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 22, 2021, 12:39:41 pm
Anyone else watching The Wheel of Time on Prime?

I've been a massive fan of the books since about the year 2000, have read them multiple times etc. Basically a WoT geek. So I am getting pissed off at lots of little things they've changed. But on the whole am enjoying the series so far, has been done mostly pretty well. My wife who is by no means a fantasy fan is enjoying them (probably more than me).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1341 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 22, 2021, 01:07:25 pm

Watched the first 3 over the weekend and enjoyed it, seems like a well realised world and they’ve obviously spent a decent amount of money on the adaption too. Look forward to watching the rest although will probably leave it until it’s all on there, as the one episode a week thing is old school bs these days. Reckon I’ll watch this series then pick up the books.

Some slightly spoilerish points below:
NSFW  :
perhaps I wasn’t paying attention, but the central plot device  that Moraine could only tell it was one of the four kids and not differentiate seemed poorly explained and sort of jumped out of nowhere, I would assume this is better explored in the book.

It starts off pretty old school with marauding armies of trolls, but the third episode hinted at some complexity to come, so look forward to seeing where it goes.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1342 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 29, 2021, 11:02:35 pm
Well,
It’s, uh, different and not what I would have chosen.
Quite funny, very moving (especially if you’re bereaved).
Weird.
But,
Nine Perfect Strangers

On Prime.

Duma

• forum hero
#1343 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 30, 2021, 12:27:00 am

I've been a massive fan of the books since about the year 2000, have read them multiple times etc. Basically a WoT geek. So I am getting pissed off at lots of little things they've changed. But on the whole am enjoying the series so far, has been done mostly pretty well. My wife who is by no means a fantasy fan is enjoying them (probably more than me).

Never read the books, but binged all the available episodes today, and very much enjoying. (No heaving bosoms so far...)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1344 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 30, 2021, 09:42:40 am
Well,
It’s, uh, different and not what I would have chosen.
Quite funny, very moving (especially if you’re bereaved).
Weird.
But,
Nine Perfect Strangers

On Prime.

Story as a whole good, but felt some characters weren't as good as they could have been.

As is tradition, wife said book was better. 

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1345 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 14, 2021, 08:52:56 pm
I’m halfway through season 2 of “Missions” on iPlayer.

Predominately in French, with subtitles and some English, but I found that made it all the more absorbing.

Contemporary/near future SciFi, 2001/Rice Borroughs/Stranger in a strange land, sort of feel to it; AI themed.

Very good.

Ged

• junky
#1346 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 14, 2021, 10:00:19 pm
Been enjoying The Outlaws on BBC. Directed by and starring Stephen Merchant (as well as Christopher Walken who is brilliant in it). Mostly a lighthearted crime thriller set in Bristol but with some darker moments thrown in.

This is so good.  Quintissential example of a pretty sad storyline told by some very funny characters.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1347 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 17, 2021, 09:33:23 am
The recent documentary on "social media and us" on iplayer is a good,  intelligent watch.  David Baddiel is an engaging presenter,  although the programme doesn't say anything hugely surprising it does confirm that not being on Twitter is better for you. 

IanP

• forum abuser
#1348 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 17, 2021, 02:11:08 pm
The recent documentary on "social media and us" on iplayer is a good,  intelligent watch.  David Baddiel is an engaging presenter,  although the programme doesn't say anything hugely surprising it does confirm that not being on Twitter is better for you.
He is good, definitely doesn't feel like just another celebrity presenter.  His programme on holocaust denial a couple of years ago was similarly intelligent and interesting while taking on an obviously difficult subject.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#1349 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 17, 2021, 06:14:53 pm
Stop Making Sense - incredible live film of Talking Heads free on Amazon Prime atm.

New season of The Expanse on Amazon too. Still the best Sci Fi I've seen in donkeys years

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal