UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 423541 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1300 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 09:12:59 am
tunless anyone has any doubt, latest series of Gone Fishing is as great as all the others. I'm not tired of the formula at all yet, keep them coming.

Slightly OT, but the first episode features 2 of the beaches I've surfed on North Uist, some of the best waves I've ever had.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1301 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 09:20:37 am
Slightly OT, but the first episode features 2 of the beaches I've surfed on North Uist, some of the best waves I've ever had.
Thanks for the hint Chris - having recently cycled/rafted round North Uist, I'll look that out (even though i don't really have any interest in fishing)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1302 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 09:30:40 am
The fishing is just an excuse for stunning scenery and banter.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1303 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 09:43:00 am
Great, I'm going tonight - turns out some mates were planning on it already!

Verdict?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1304 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 11:33:49 am
Great, I'm going tonight - turns out some mates were planning on it already!

Verdict?

Yeah, good. Seemed like a very likeable oddball guy, and despite it being a film about his death it was very positive and didn't dwell too much. Unlike the Ballard one, it seemed less intrusive (well, less intrusive after the death...). Quite a funny by-line story about him hiding from the limelight.

SamT

• forum hero
#1305 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 11:42:36 am
The fishing is just an excuse for stunning scenery and banter.

Yeah - love this series - worth starting from the series one really if its all available online.

Haven't started S3 yet.  For me it has a very similar feel to 'The Detectorists'.  Lots of 'filler' shots of stunning scenery/nature/wildlife, interspersed with humorous banter.   Very typical understated British humour too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1306 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 30, 2021, 11:50:02 am
All still there.

If nothing else, everyone should at least watch from 20 mins mark on of Series 3 Episode 6 when they talk to the doctor about mental health and shared experiences. Relates as much to bouldering, climbing, cycling, skiing, running, anything as it does to fishing.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1307 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 06, 2021, 07:33:16 am
 Another recommendation for Manhunt on ITV it's excellent, both seasons.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1308 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 06, 2021, 11:17:46 am
We've just finished The North Water on BBC - bit of a slow burner, but really grabs you as it goes on.

Amazing cast, some incredible scenery - sounds like it's gone under the radar a bit but definitely worth a watch.

I'll keep going but Ep1 was a lot less captivating than "the Terror".

We finished and enjoyed Vigil (sorry OMM, I'm sure it had you squirming throughout!).

Surving 9/11 has to be one of the most powerful things I've watched in recent years:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z95y/surviving-911
The impact to this day on individuals and families is striking.

Is 9/11: Inside the President's war room as good? My Dad thinks so but he reads the Daily Mail so...  :tumble:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8p5/911-inside-the-presidents-war-room

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1309 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 06, 2021, 11:32:54 am
I enjoyed the war room show, interesting just to see what happens "beehind the scenes" during these sorts of events.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1310 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 06, 2021, 11:41:03 am
Yeah, agree on the President's War Room one. Interesting to hear Bush's perspective on it, no matter how much I disliked him at the time (and still do).

Paul B

• forum hero
#1311 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 20, 2021, 01:08:18 pm
I enjoyed the war room show, interesting just to see what happens "beehind the scenes" during these sorts of events.

I agree with this entirely, it was fascinating. The photographs available of almost every single moment of the day was also striking!

We finished the North Water. It was good but I'm afraid the Terror was better IMO and two series of similar ilk within such a short space of time are always going to be subject to comparison.

Help on All4:
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/help

is utterly harrowing!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#1312 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 20, 2021, 04:31:10 pm
I've just watched an excellent documentary about The Velvet Underground on Apple TV.
 Old footage, interviews , could possibly have done with tighter editing at two hours long. However a riveting rock and roll story about a seminal band.
Think it was Lou Reed who said about the eponymous 1st album
"Only around 600 people bought it but every single one of them started a band."

IanP

• forum abuser
#1313 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 20, 2021, 04:45:13 pm
Watched the first episode of series 2 of Guilt (BBC) yesterday.   Really enjoyed the first series, was slightly worried that a second series was just cashing in on that success, but based on that first epsiode it looks great, drama mixed witjh dark humour, good cast, well made and very entertaining.

Ged

• junky
#1314 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 20, 2021, 05:03:59 pm
Help on 4od, film with Jodie Comer from killing eve, and Steven Graham from line of duty (who seems to be in everything good these days). Powerful film about life working and living in a care home at the start of the pandemic. Well worth a watch.

Back to life on BBC was enjoyable. Fairly easy watching, and decent comedy elements, despite the theme of somebody being released from prison.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1315 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 27, 2021, 10:56:22 am
The Long Call; on ITV this week.  Pretty good based on having watched the first episode.  Whodunnit drama based in north Devon, with more interesting details than a generic standard. 

Ged

• junky
#1316 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 27, 2021, 04:23:14 pm
This mainly aimed at you Toby being a Newton Abbot boy, but did you ever see the borderland? I had randomly downloaded it for a trip away to France, and were then stunned to see it is set in Denbury, complete with scene outside out house! Not the best film ever (team of investigators from the Vatican come to look at a potential miracle in West ogwell Church), but worth it for the scenery if you know the area...

andy popp

• forum hero
#1317 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 27, 2021, 05:10:12 pm
Is no-one else watching Season 3 of "Succession"?

TobyD

• forum hero
#1318 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 27, 2021, 10:49:57 pm
This mainly aimed at you Toby being a Newton Abbot boy, but did you ever see the borderland? I had randomly downloaded it for a trip away to France, and were then stunned to see it is set in Denbury, complete with scene outside out house! Not the best film ever (team of investigators from the Vatican come to look at a potential miracle in West ogwell Church), but worth it for the scenery if you know the area...

No I haven't seen it, I obviously know that area very well,  I'll have to look for it.  The last thing I can remember seeing shot round there was the hound of the baskervilles episode of sherlock. 

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1319 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 28, 2021, 10:27:40 am
I'm really enjoying the ken burns Hemmingway, on iplayer. Havent finished the series yet.

I have read and love most of his books.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1320 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 28, 2021, 12:09:44 pm
Paris Police 1900 - Spiral set in 1900, flat caps, cigarettes, the Dreyfus affair, laudanum, antisemitism and abattoirs. Brill

Four Hours at The Capitol - Shocking and great documentary making.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1321 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 28, 2021, 12:34:08 pm
As well as Succession, we're also watching Dopesick about the Sacklers/OxyContin scandal. Very worthwhile.

ali k

• junky
#1322 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 29, 2021, 10:01:54 am
Four Hours at The Capitol - Shocking and great documentary making.
Best quote was from one of the rioters after he'd been arrested. "I'm a firm believer in capital punishment. And I'm a firm believer in hard labour. But to lock someone in a cell for 9 days and not even let 'em take a shower. It's un-American and it's inhumane"  :lol:  :boohoo:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#1323 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 29, 2021, 05:49:08 pm
"Uprising", Steve McQueen's documentary series about the New Cross fire and the ensuing protests and unrest:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000y317/uprising

Excellent, nuanced, complex and heartbreaking. Going to be diving into his "Small Axe" drama anthology series next.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1324 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 29, 2021, 08:22:15 pm
@ali - Yeah, him, what a dick. C4T

I shall watch that Slab Happy. Small Axe was really good, especially the Mangrove Nine for me as it’s very local. My elderly next door neighbour was friendly with Frank Critchlow and is still an activist.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal