UKBouldering.com

not another one... (Read 1427 times)

Twiglett

• regular
    • Vid's
not another one...
August 26, 2009, 11:49:54 am
Sorry guy's but it's another finger injury post!

Climbing on Sunday, I didn't have any problems at all during the session or duering the rest of the day. However the next day I noticed that my RH middle finger felt a bit sore. When I'm looking at my hand  palm up, it's only on the right hand side of the finger, and only up to the first joint from the palm. It's not pain, more like the feeling you would get when touching a bruise or something.

On Monday night I did a light fingerboard session on my Beastmaker, openhanded on the juggy crimps and slopers along with a few pullups and it felt OK - no issues the day after etc.

It's a bit different to other tweaks I've had, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had this sort of thing before?

Dr T

• forum hero
#1 Re: not another one...
August 26, 2009, 12:12:56 pm
ahh - sounds familiar
might not be the exactly the same but after seeing the physio yesterday I have been diagnosed with... can't remember the proper name but basically inflamation of the sheath where the tendon to the tip of the finger moves through the one which splits and goes to the middle joint
causes inflamation a bit like bruising between the palm and the first knuckle
was advised not to do tissue massage as you would with a rupture (to remove scar tissue) as that will only make it worse
instead have been told to isolate the movements at the first and second knuckle, use ice on the palm side of the finger and use some topical Ibuprofin - going back for more ultra sound tomorrow
was advised 3 weeks off - not even weights  :'( we'll have to see how long I actually take off   :-[

Twiglett

• regular
    • Vid's
#2 Re: not another one...
August 26, 2009, 12:43:01 pm
Cheers Dr T. Think I'll try and ice it tonight, rest it until the weekend and see how it feels at that point.
Might be a bit of a stupid question but when you say isolate movements exactly what do you mean?

Dr T

• forum hero
#3 Re: not another one...
August 26, 2009, 04:33:33 pm
Oh a quick disclaimer in case anyone gets the wrong idea
I'm a doctor of chemistry not medicine  :whistle:
this advice is pure second hand amaturism  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal