UKBouldering.com

Cleaning holds (Read 2957 times)

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Cleaning holds
August 20, 2009, 07:28:12 pm
I have just bought a load of second hand bleaustone holds and they need a bit of a clean before they get put on the board, so I want to know will they be alright in the dishwasher??
I don't see why they wouldn't be but my family is trying to convince me otherwise and say I should jump in the sink and just give em a scrub.

Also they are selling very cheap second hand holds at Lakes Climber (Where Rock and Run was) for 1 - 2 squid each with T nuts and bolts included. A veritable bargain I thought.

Tommy

• junky
#1 Re: Cleaning holds
August 20, 2009, 07:39:58 pm
Dishwashers are ok, but not great. If you haven't got loads, just do it by hand. Take it as an opportunity to "get to know your holds" you know.... get intimate like....   ;) Takes about 1min a hold.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#2 Re: Cleaning holds
August 20, 2009, 10:55:11 pm
I read about a chemical dip for holds on the Works blog IIRC. Might be worth looking up.

chillax

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Cleaning holds
August 20, 2009, 11:18:30 pm
If you've got a powerhose handy it works a treat

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Cleaning holds
August 21, 2009, 12:02:21 am
There are going to be two major components to the dirt on dirty holds person gack (sweat, grease etc.) and chalk (good old mag carb) to get rid of the first a good non-ionic surfactant (that'll be washing-up liquid, or washing powder):the second will be seen off with brick cleaner diluted down (a bit of experimentation with dilutions will be necessary here). A really good power wash after immersion in buckets of the first two will get rid of any potentially skin buggering residue.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Cleaning holds
August 21, 2009, 06:22:37 am
Just shove 'em in the dishwasher, they'll be fine.  Scrubbing's for scrubbers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Cleaning holds
August 21, 2009, 08:54:48 am

Charles

• addict
#7 Re: Cleaning holds
August 21, 2009, 09:00:11 am
We have a woody AND a dishwasher? This house just gets better!

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#8 Re: Cleaning holds
August 21, 2009, 09:23:31 am
Whilst on the subject of scrubbing, has anyone got any featured wall cleaning beta? I was thinking that a weak acid in a plant sprayer and some toothbrush action would probably be best. Don't want to use vinegar due to the smell and am worried that anything too strong might knacker the friction paint.

WRT original post: Dish washer for convenience, power spray if you don't mind getting water everywhere and have loads to do.

i.munro

• junky
#9 Re: Cleaning holds
August 21, 2009, 02:00:35 pm
There are going to be two major components to the dirt on dirty holds person gack (sweat, grease etc.) and chalk (good old mag carb)  ...the second will be seen off with brick cleaner diluted down ..

Funny that, cos everyone always tells me that all it needs ia a little light drizzle  :)

tallsop

• addict
#10 Re: Cleaning holds
September 29, 2009, 09:52:14 pm
we jus wak em int dishwasher at work with a few powerball tabs youth, time spent scrubbin would be better spent crankin!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal