UKBouldering.com

Glasgow - Food & Drink (Read 7512 times)

The Sausage

• forum abuser
Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 07:55:31 am
Hi All,
I'm going to be in Glasgow on Bank Holiday Monday, following a wedding. I'll have a fair few hours waiting for the train, so would value suggestions for places to eat.
Basically after good quality coffee/breakfast, a decent bakery, and real ale pub, and somewhere for lunch (if combined with the pub, so much the better, but a decent pint of something local is the main thing...)
Any suggestions gratefully received.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 08:48:33 am
Stravaigin
28 Gibson Street
Glasgow G2 8NX

foody pub, excellent, lots of other stuff around here as well. my favourite city in europe.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 09:59:56 am
For what you're looking for, you may be better in the west end, as Ben suggested.  It means you'll have to get a tube/bus out of the city centre but there is probably a better choice out that way and it doesn't take long to make the journey.

Where are you staying and leaving from, I am guessing somewhere city centre / Central station area?

I'm no use for places that do good beer / ale, although I am also looking for some so will be checking out the other suggestions you get, but food wise Arisaig is supposed to be really good and it's Scottish food so perfect for a touristy taster of the city, also The Left Bank apparently does good brunches, or The Chip is lovely too, although I've heard mixed reports about the food recently, it's a lovely space to eat in though.  Citation is a bit newer and more trendy, and in the Merchant city rather than the West End but the food is very good and it's a nice place to eat, no idea what their beer/ale is like.  There are also a couple of Two Fat Ladies restaurants that are nice too. Finally, Rogano is a bit of a Glasgow institution and very central, again not sure what their drinks list is like but the food is meant to be good, although leaning towards fishy stuff, it's originally an oyster restaurant, it should be ok on a Monday but on the weekends can get a bit  full of posers.

Most of them are more foody places, so lunch suggestions really, or brunch if you're so inclined.  Drinking wise, I'm a bit useless as I don't specifically look for real ale type places, they seem fairly few and far between up here really, but I can give you suggestions for very good cocktails if you like?  Although maybe not the best idea if you want to catch the train.  ;)

Oh, and I can't think of a decent bakery but I'd put money on there being several in the West End, along with lots of good coffee shops too. 

chris05

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 10:07:41 am
If you make it to the west end, it has to be the Three Judges for a pint (Partick end of Byers road), excellent selection of ale, I'd suggest a liquid lunch....(they dont serve food).

chris

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#4 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 08:23:21 pm
Coffee - best place is probably either of the Tinderbox coffee shops, but the food there is not great. (Nice cakes though). Kember and Jones do a good breakfast - Byers Road in the West End.

There's a small spanish cafe near my flat that's ok for breakfast - cafe hula. (City Centre)

Lunch / Beer:

Well, in the east you've got The West Brewery:http://www.westbeer.com/] [url]http://www.westbeer.com/[/url] I've not been myself, but had the beer elsewhere and it were gid!  :lol: just realised how odd that sounds "in the east, you have the west"....

Any of the Beir Halle places does a great range of euro-beers (wies, dunkel, wheet etc. etc...) and 2 for 1 pizza. Liquid ship is ok (from memory) for both beer and food. It's owned by The Stravaigin.

If you're going to the bother of leaving the city centre (plenty good stuff, but not the best bit of glasgow) then definitely jump on the tube and head for byers road (hillhead stop) as you have the stravaigin 2 for food, and any of the prvious suggestions for ales.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#5 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 08:24:31 pm
Oh dear, some serious http:\\retard.com on the go there!

bigd942

• addict
#6 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 10:05:20 pm
had a good meal here in the west end

http://www.cafeandaluz.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

plenty of pubs/cafes round that area.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 19, 2009, 10:24:20 pm
Any of the Beir Halle places does a great range of euro-beers (wies, dunkel, wheet etc. etc...) and 2 for 1 pizza.
Forgot about in there, the pizzas are very good.  Various venues, details here: http://www.republicbierhalle.com/

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 07:53:07 am
Back again, thanks for all the info...
I've had a look at CAMRA site, has anybody been to any of these pubs:
3 judges, ubiquitious chip (is this the chip, previously mentioned?), oran mor, islay inn, lismore, quarter gill...
...any recommendations?
Thanks again
Joe

Plattsy

• forum hero
#9 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 08:26:40 am
If you make it to the west end, it has to be the Three Judges for a pint

chris

3 judges,
...any recommendations?
Thanks again
Joe
Maybe  :P

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 10:18:20 am
ubiquitous chip (is this the chip, previously mentioned?)
Yes, same place, it's a biggish place with a bar, bistro and restaurant too.

oran mor
I've been but didn't rate it, saying that we went for a work night out and that probably coloured my view, it's pretty popular and a lot of folk do rate it, also I think they have a fairly good drinks selection.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 01:13:57 pm
Bottle of Buckfast, bag of chips, 10 Regal, and a bus shelter. 

A REAL taste of Weegie high culture.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 02:47:42 pm
Don't be stupid, Houdini.  ::)

Nobody smokes Regal anymore, you want these bad boys:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 06:31:58 pm
Aww Mayfair!

Now we're talking, almost as Scottish as bad heroin smoked off kitkat foil 8)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#14 Re: Glasgow - Food & Drink
August 25, 2009, 08:23:54 pm
Back again, thanks for all the info...
I've had a look at CAMRA site, has anybody been to any of these pubs:
3 judges, ubiquitious chip (is this the chip, previously mentioned?), oran mor, islay inn, lismore, quarter gill...
...any recommendations?
Thanks again
Joe

Aye, the Lismore (Lois Mor) is ok, never been to the chip, but heard about it's over-ratedness! Oran mor is a bit wank - full of 30+ single work types...scary on a payday! Quarter Gill....It hink it's maybe a bit "local" but it could be ok.

Best bet is probably the 3 judges (never been) or the Lismore, they're all in a similar area, so if you don't like one...move on!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal