UKBouldering.com

Year away- info please (Read 3349 times)

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Year away- info please
August 07, 2009, 07:55:20 pm
I'm heading off for a year this December. Thailand, OZ then USA. I was after some general thoughts & info regarding bouldering spots, weather it is best to buy a mat out there or pay extra to to take mine.
Thailand will only be for 2 weeks or so so I'll pay for a chuffing guide there & do the tourist thing, but whats the best place to go & is the bouldering ant good?
I will mainly be in OZ so whats best to hit & when also are mats freely available at decent prices out there? USA wise think that will be LA & San Fransisco way so any info would be great.
Lots of questions I know but any beta would be ace. Ta

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Year away- info please
August 08, 2009, 10:28:05 am
Remember you can only stay in the US for 3 months on a tourist visa, and they will ask you pointy questions at customs if you can't prove you have cash and at least a contact address.

stelios_kos

• regular
  • CLIMB GREECE
#2 Re: Year away- info please
August 17, 2009, 08:41:14 pm
All the bouldering in Thailand is located on the island of Kho Thao. There are a lot of granite boulders but they are either in the jungle (watch out for the falling coconuts) or at the beaches where it is usually crowded with swimmers.

Rabies

• regular
#3 Re: Year away- info please
August 18, 2009, 11:49:33 am
I'm heading to the States at the end of this year and decided that its probably better to buy a bouldering mat while I'm out there.  Cheaper in the long run as once you have paid to get it over there and back you may aswell have bought one and maybe even sell it really cheap at the end to get some money back.  As for bouldering you could head to Bishop and Yosemite.  There is loads of bouldering around the Bay Area of San Francisco, not sure how good it is though? Castle Rock and Lake Tahoe stuff are also possibilities too.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#4 Re: Year away- info please
August 18, 2009, 12:36:22 pm
Bouldering in Thailand as people have mentioned in on Koh Tao. If you only have 2 weeks i wouldn't bother and stick to Tonsai.
If you are buying a pad in Oz, expect to pay over the odds, very expensive for all gear out there compared to uk.

As for seasons, bouldering wise in the states.

Hueco is the dec/jan/feb/early march option
Bishop can be bloody cold in jan/early feb, but if you dont mind these can be good temps. I usually go mid feb.
Yosemite bouldering is pretty good most times unless its really warm.

Oz routes. January is starting to get a tad warm for bouldering, but routes still ok if you choose your venues. Depends on grade really?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Year away- info please
August 18, 2009, 02:16:45 pm
Gets a "tad" warm long before January, and stays that way a long time after.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Year away- info please
August 20, 2009, 06:02:06 pm
Ok, got my ticket. Heading out to Thialand 2 December staying on Crabbe for 10 days. Then to Australia for 10 months. I have a work permit so plan to work the summer & climb when it cools down. Would be good to be based somewhere  with good bouldering, steepish stuff in the 7a-7b range.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#7 Re: Year away- info please
August 20, 2009, 06:51:50 pm

staying on Crabbe for 10 days.
Krabi

Would be good to be based somewhere  with good bouldering, steepish stuff in the 7a-7b range.
Sydney is perfect, loads of local bouldering and new stuff getting discovered all the time. I lived in Sydney for 6 months bar a 6 weeks trip to the Gramps.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Year away- info please
August 20, 2009, 08:45:43 pm
Cheers Adam, thats where I was thinking of staying put for a bit. Thought I spelt it right the first time shouldn't of trusted the spell check.......

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#9 Re: Year away- info please
August 20, 2009, 10:11:27 pm
Cheers Adam, thats where I was thinking of staying put for a bit. Thought I spelt it right the first time shouldn't of trusted the spell check.......

If you pm control freak on here he will sort you out with info and maybe show you around...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Year away- info please
August 21, 2009, 08:48:32 am
And Carnage. Sydney is a good and obvious choice, Good surf for when it's too hot to climb :)

Melbourne is the other obvious option. Not a lot in the city itself, but got Gramps and Arapiles in weekending distance.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Year away- info please
August 24, 2009, 02:31:36 pm
Also i'll be in New York for 2 weeks & San Fransisco for 2 weeks, so would like to squeeze in a few days climbing, again any beta would be great. I'll be there in over Thanks giving if that makes any difference. Again 7a/b steep stuff. Ta.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal