UKBouldering.com

Decathlon pop up tents... (Read 5176 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Decathlon pop up tents...
August 04, 2009, 07:39:46 pm
I bought a two man one of these at the weekend to store things in the loft (my loft is really dirty and no felt under the tiles so dust etc.. always blowing in) as they're cheap (£30) and completely free standing. I was pretty impressed with it to be honest, and am considering getting another one (smaller one £20) to leave in the boot of the car for those nights whenever (e.g. getting kicked out by the missus  ;) ).
Anyway, has anyone here actually used one in anger (e.g. to sleep in)  ? - they're obviously not 4 season but seem pretty good...
T

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 04, 2009, 08:26:07 pm
We've got a old XL (3 man) pop up decathlon special. £50 I think and about 3 years old. Can't fault it for car camping. Up and down quick. Never leaked. Handled thunderstorms and some heavy snow too. I'd suggest getting a free standing tarp too if you're going to spend length of time in a little pop up tent.

Stubbs

#2 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 05, 2009, 01:40:39 am
Used one for ten days a couple of years ago in magic wood in some pretty heavy rains and stayed dry (unlike some of my friends who hadn't sealed the seams on their expensive tents).  I've used my replacement one (someone left my original at Cresciano) for weekends in the pass and at the chowderstone without any complaints.  I think they're ideal for car camping, and save the faff of unpacking and repacking you get with normal tents.

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#3 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 05, 2009, 07:56:18 am
Just bought a pop-up 4 man badboy yesterday from GO outdoors in Pudsey £100 down to £50, looks okay.
Heading off somewhere this week to try it out.
Not the smallest pack size, but...who cares.
It's a family tent that's never going to be carried further than the car boot.
I'll let you know how it stands up to the rigours of Yorkshire and Scotland in August.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 05, 2009, 08:44:27 am
didn't grimer write about the joys of trying to get one of these back in its bag.i'm sure slackers will find the link to the article :whistle:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 05, 2009, 08:47:47 am
Watched someone having a go at getting one back in the bag at the campsite at the Roaches. I think the whole campsite was watching as he wresteld with it for about 15 mins before just stuffing it in the boot and closign the lid.

Some mates have one they use regularly for camping in scotland and they have never had problems. They were forced to buy it when we flew to Font and their luggage went astray.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 05, 2009, 08:54:32 am
Watched someone having a go at getting one back in the bag at the campsite at the Roaches. I think the whole campsite was watching as he wresteld with it for about 15 mins before just stuffing it in the boot and closign the lid.

This is the sort of person who doesn't need instructions to use anything and never asks for help in B&Q.  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
August 05, 2009, 09:10:19 am
I managed to put mine away 2nd/3rd go in about 30 secs.... first go took about 5 min  :) the trick seems to not care too much about how its folded/flipped and just twist and stuff!

Though of a similar tale.. when in font spring last year, there were a large group of very noisy french (boozing and shouting til 4am etc..) and they could not pack two of them away - were not even close... My friend Steve, who's French is fluent, watched for 20 min, then sauntered over... (in french) "hows the head lads - late one last night eh... etc.. etc.. you having some troubles there?" flip flip flip - done..

tallsop

• addict
#8 Re: Decathlon pop up tents...
October 22, 2009, 04:08:37 pm
Very un-Brittish, if you buy one of these you are definately letting the side down.  There's nothing more anglo saxon than spending half an hour in the pissing rain putting a complicated tent up, arguing with the mrs, and getting in the tent drippin'  wet. Pop-up tents clearly detract from the overall experience...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal