UKBouldering.com

Back Protectors (Read 3918 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Back Protectors
July 30, 2009, 12:01:23 pm
Since I'm being seduced by the downhill dark-side, which back protector is effective enough to save me from myself, yet light enough that I'll be happy to wear it??

jh :-\

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#1 Re: Back Protectors
July 30, 2009, 12:48:26 pm
If your just after a back/spine protector then the POC stuff looks well good
http://onebelowzero.com/proddetail.asp?prod=69250&cat=157000
Big Gs got one of these and it was light and offered a stack of protection, its got the maleable dough stuff in. Get some good elbows(good meaning they stay on your elbows when you crash!) and i rekon for the small stuff/big days out it would be perfect! I rekon you could do some hardcore xc stuff in it without overheating too much!
Fatdoc and myself have the Dainese Gladiator jackets which although very hefty offer max protection all over, be warned though as I often dont wear it cos it toooo hot!
Lots of people get the 661 pressure suit type stuff but seem to sell it on quite quicly cos it fits badly.
Top tip, get a full facer before the body armour if you have not got one already!

Anth

• regular
#2 Re: Back Protectors
July 30, 2009, 01:37:14 pm
I have a dainese one for snowboarding, its a nice snug fit and has no padding on the front
you can get them without arms too

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Back Protectors
July 30, 2009, 02:01:33 pm
If your just after a back/spine protector then the POC stuff looks well good
http://onebelowzero.com/proddetail.asp?prod=69250&cat=157000
Big Gs got one of these and it was light and offered a stack of protection, its got the maleable dough stuff in. Get some good elbows(good meaning they stay on your elbows when you crash!) and i rekon for the small stuff/big days out it would be perfect! I rekon you could do some hardcore xc stuff in it without overheating too much!
Fatdoc and myself have the Dainese Gladiator jackets which although very hefty offer max protection all over, be warned though as I often dont wear it cos it toooo hot!
Lots of people get the 661 pressure suit type stuff but seem to sell it on quite quicly cos it fits badly.
Top tip, get a full facer before the body armour if you have not got one already!

above all good,

me dianesse  stopped me breaking my back for sure  in spain (high speed over the bars down a 45deg shute into fridge sized boulders... broke 2 ribs... bargain!) but it's damn hot.

defo get a good full facer, you dont need a £280 troy lee, giro remedy or spesh deviant are the usual suspects. personally I think the extra £40 to 50 worth it for carbon... a few grams off yr noggin IMO is worth it), others think it  a waste of cash.

if you go for the modular torso concept (short sleeved armoured top and then separate elbows.. get the elbows Damn tight.. or they will get ripped off. the only ones I've not sheared off are 661 D3O elbows, medium/small.

I wear the full suit less than i used to...  ??? its the pushing.

FYI after the summer vacance en famile I'll be chuckin big G and fatkid down the easier courses in wharners, storthes hall and greno most sunday mornings of the autumn. Usual crack is damn early start, home by 1. you would be most welcome... all of it is harder than cannock.. (except the drops) which is cool, coz I presume you'll be at the end of season cwmcarn uplift day at the end of sept / mid oct??

BTW, current vogue is for knee pads a la kyle strait / athertons... full leg and knees is probably better for the sake of yr legs..

i so hope you are running flats dude.. ;)

welcome to the dark side... you'll try to break out of it, but once you're in... you're in  8)

fatkid2000

• junky
#4 Re: Back Protectors
July 30, 2009, 02:47:25 pm
Can I be totally selfish and suggest dates for Cwmcarn uplift day - due to shift pattern - some idiot in an office is making me do more A&E - arse. This means no weekends off - great.

Weekend of 26/27 September is good. or 10/11 October. I have lots of random week days off when I'll be looking to ride lots to fight off the shitness of a SHO A&E rota. (Cheers FD for the career advice - only 1 more year of nights!!!!)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#5 Re: Back Protectors
July 30, 2009, 02:51:39 pm
I'll look into the Oct dates....

it will be the sunday, it takes all day... esp coz of the drive home

will check work diary tomorrow.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#6 Re: Back Protectors
July 31, 2009, 11:16:21 am
Thanks guys - top tips.  I've already got 661 elbows, ankles and knees and I've just got the POC pants with thigh protectors after coming unstuck on White's Level (stable doors, horses, bolting).  Have been thinking about full face but might go for the back protector first as I'm a bugger for going over the handlebars.

cheers

jh

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#7 Re: Back Protectors
July 31, 2009, 12:08:36 pm
you MUST get a full facer.

the bible of MTN bike books, by Lopes... insists that if you are over 6 yrs old and you intend to have both wheels off the ground then get one. now.

going ovadebarz = teeth smash.. look at the space monkey... he has more porcelin in his gob than a museum in staffordshire. think he bust his jaw once IIRC.

BTW, my full facer saved my back from real bad harm the time i landed straight on my head (i only wedged 2 vertebrae and cracked a couple of pedicles.. without the giro remedy I reckon wud of burst a vertebral body at least, that's the sort of injury that paralyses you)

Put it this way, I'm not riding anywhere near you without one.

compared to ankle protection this is a no brainer dude.

fatkid2000

• junky
#8 Re: Back Protectors
July 31, 2009, 08:14:46 pm
On the subject of armour - I'm debating leg protection at the moment.

Having ridden in Kyle Straits alot without problems - I changed to full leg protection during FDs and my trip to Spain. The outcome of chest infection + rubbing knee/shin guards + chronically inflammed pre-patellar bursa = acute bursitis. Which ultimately led to the bursa being removed 5 weeks ago - something I wish I'd done years ago due to chronic knee pain.

Anyway I'm now thinking what to wear on my legs - I'm thinking of going back to the straits and wearing separate shin guards. Anyone got any shin guards the POC one look a bit expensive - £99!!! Mind you there spine protector looks good. The Gladiator suits are bloody hot & FDs smells like somebody died in it!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#9 Re: Back Protectors
July 31, 2009, 09:32:47 pm
those POC full legs dont articulate over the patella, apparently from and idea based on knight medieval armour.  no doubt reviews on the net can be a little biased (ie justifying the massive price) but they are well thought of.

i admitt the galdiator suit is horrid in the smell dept...

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#10 Re: Back Protectors
August 03, 2009, 10:00:00 am
you MUST get a full facer.

the bible of MTN bike books, by Lopes... insists that if you are over 6 yrs old and you intend to have both wheels off the ground then get one. now.

going ovadebarz = teeth smash.. look at the space monkey... he has more porcelin in his gob than a museum in staffordshire. think he bust his jaw once IIRC.

BTW, my full facer saved my back from real bad harm the time i landed straight on my head (i only wedged 2 vertebrae and cracked a couple of pedicles.. without the giro remedy I reckon wud of burst a vertebral body at least, that's the sort of injury that paralyses you)

Put it this way, I'm not riding anywhere near you without one.

compared to ankle protection this is a no brainer dude.

Point taken, I've had a couple of big offs already and I guess it's only a matter of time before my ugly mug hits the dirt.  Ill check if my pocket money will stretch this month!

jh
Phew

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#11 Re: Back Protectors
August 03, 2009, 02:44:00 pm
 :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal