UKBouldering.com

road wheels for sub £200 (Read 3579 times)

Palomides

• forum abuser
road wheels for sub £200
July 16, 2009, 04:19:31 pm

Yes, it's like this thread but cheaper!

I just noticed that the black wear indicator on my rear wheel has disappeared - so it's time to change, I guess.

The current wheels are some Alexrims/Scott hub things (Shimano freehub) that came with a Scott AFD Comp - I think they're around or just under 2kg but I have no idea what "decent" wheels should feel like. So I don't actually know how godd they are - imagine an expensive upgrade that makes things harder. Urrr.

I don't cycle that much, and I don't weigh that much either (about 70kg?) and I don't have much of a budget.

SO - I fling myself on the accumulated wisdom of UKB.

Is it worth upgrading the wheelset, or just replacing the back wheel?

For about £200/200€ I think I can get new Mavic Aksiums, secondhand Mavic Kyrsiums or Planet X Model Bs. Any other good bets?

Thanks in advance.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 16, 2009, 05:52:52 pm

Everyone's staying off the internet until after the tdf summary, aren't they...

chappers

• forum hero
#2 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 16, 2009, 08:08:12 pm
fulcrum racing 7's.

in my exp a better wheel than the mavic Aksiums, easier to fix too due to the round spoke profile.

Duma

• forum hero
#3 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 16, 2009, 11:50:45 pm
I've just bought a pair of the Planet X model B's. The bike they're going on is still in build, so I can only say they were true out of the box, and weigh what they said they would. Came with some nice light skewers too. I've no experience of the Askiums or Fulcrums, but it would appear that you'd save a hundred grams or so. Until recently  :'( I had Kyrsiums on the road bike, they were nice, until the bike was stolen, probably still are nice, in fact, if you buy some secondhand they might have once been mine...

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#4 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 17, 2009, 08:31:48 am
I quite like campag facroty wheels. I've had nothing but good service from 3 sets (zondas, sciroccos and eurus.)

chappers

• forum hero
#5 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 17, 2009, 03:01:31 pm
yeah likewise my campag wheels are great. fulcrum are made by campag and show the same high quality.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#6 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 17, 2009, 03:02:35 pm
look on wilsons, their built wheel page gives an indication

Palomides

• forum abuser
#7 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 22, 2009, 10:45:51 am
Thanks everyone.

I'm tempted by handbuilt, but I don't have the experience to know what's good, and what I really need, so I think I'll go with factory.

Fulcrums look good (the Racing 5 Evolution are a good price) but I don't think I could live with the noisy freewheel. The chance of being mobbed by a swarm of heat-crazed cicadas is too risky for me.

I also saw the Easton Vista SLs, which look ok, but it's looking like PlanetX, just for the price (even with shipping taken into account).

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: road wheels for sub £200
July 26, 2009, 08:58:45 pm
Palomides - hope this isn't too late, but if a noisy freewheel is a dealbreaker then maybe don't go for the PX's - they are very loud in comparison to my Kyrsiums. Still true though, and have a few miles on them now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal