UKBouldering.com

Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems (Read 5258 times)

jed

• player
  • Are you Experienced?
Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 12:17:24 pm

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48286

Several people are to blame for this that use this site they know who they are

STOP BEING LAZY BOULDERING TWATS!!!! :rtfm:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 12:26:01 pm

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48286

Several people are to blame for this that use this site they know who they are

STOP BEING LAZY BOULDERING TWATS!!!! :rtfm:

UKC are a bit slow on the uptake.

Its just as feasible that its chuffers as it is boulderers, although I confess to not staked the place out and recorded the comings and goings so have no evidence to support one group being more guilty than the other, but climbers can be just as lazy and opt for short walk-ins where possible.

And, many people who boulder, also climb, and vice-versa!

jed

• player
  • Are you Experienced?
#2 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 12:30:52 pm
This post was not based on prejudice or assumption I know (and have seen) that several people I know to use this site have enflamed the problem

Please be respectful of this great crag

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#3 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 12:34:34 pm
Maybe people aren't aware that there's a parking issue. Parked there for years and its never been a problem or its never been made aware to me. Ill bring my walking poles next time.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 12:52:15 pm
This post was not based on prejudice or assumption I know (and have seen) that several people I know to use this site have enflamed the problem

Was this before or after it was raised as an issue and had been posted on UKB/BMC/UKC?  If before, how was anyone supposed to know that it was causing a problem (unless its obviously stupid things like parking in front of gates and blocking roads).  If after perhaps they hadn't been online to read about it being an issue, and it would have been very useful if you'd engaged them with a friendly chat let them know about the problems.  :shrug:

Please be respectful of this great all crags

jed

• player
  • Are you Experienced?
#5 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 03:13:36 pm
It was before the post for definate and the parking does in deed block the road around a bend.

Its basicly a case of people parking next to the crag instead of parking 100-200 yards after the crag where the road widens.

Slack line are you on the blob you seem slightly emotional :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 03:24:27 pm

No, lots on my plate at the moment after rolling and writing my car off last week, and would rather be outside in the climbing in sun than sat behind a shitty desk.

But I don't like SHOUTING IN FORUMS WHEN THERE IS NO NEED, and I bet that its not exclusively boulderers who are guilty of parking there, there will have been some climbers too (even if you've only seen boulderers parking there), so the blanket accusation was, I felt, a little unjust.

Perhaps worth talking to people you see doing it though (anywhere really), especially if its obvious that its blocking the road, I know I would and have done in the past (have been ignored/told to fuck off, but more direct than ranting about it a week or two later on t'net).

Out of curiosity have you witnessed any of said offenders parking there since it has been raised as an issue?  Clearly it shouldn't have had to have been raised as an issue as common sense would, one hopes, preclude such foolish behaviour, but thats people.

Still finishing work in five minutes now and heading to Millstone.

Peace  :hug:  :kiss2:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 03:28:10 pm
I've got to say that since the issue was raised on UKC, the number of people parking right next to the crag has plummeted like a middle age punter on off most of the routes.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#8 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 14, 2009, 03:40:19 pm
I've got to say that since the issue was raised on UKC, the number of people parking right next to the crag has plummeted like a middle age punter on off most of the routes.

more free spaces for us then! :P (that was a joke before any1 has a go (i've barely been in 2 years))

Shy Ted

• regular
#9 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 07:57:03 am
can't see how anyone's to blame as there aren't any yellow lines where everyone parks suggesting that it's perfectly fine and legal to park there.  Plenty of rozzas drive past there and they've never flagged anyone

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 08:14:22 am
can't see how anyone's to blame as there aren't any yellow lines where everyone parks suggesting that it's perfectly fine and legal to park there.  Plenty of rozzas drive past there and they've never flagged anyone

Doesn't have to be yellow, you're not meant to pass over solid white lines at the side of the road unless you're turning into a road or premises (see item 129).

There are signs up to this effect in some areas of the Peak District, the road just after the bottom of Burbage Valley up to Surprise View springs to mind.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 08:51:53 am
jed - I’ve parked there plenty of times in the past, as there was no lines on the road and as it has been where climbers parked (without any problem, that I noticed anyway) for as long as I’ve been coming to the crag (>15 years). I was unaware there was a problem until recent postings (obviously I've parked elsewhere since then).
I could well be one of the UKBers you’re waving a self righteous finger at. The question is, if so, why didn’t you come and explain the situation to me, seeing as you were aware it was a problem and I wasn’t? Happy to point the finger on the internet, but unwilling to be helpful/useful at the crag.  :shrug:

jed

• player
  • Are you Experienced?
#12 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 09:10:46 am
First of all sereral people on this thread seem to assume that Im being a typical bitchy british climber type.
This couldn't be more wrong, I am simply pointing out a problem in a light hearted manner and I like to use the caps lock and a good swear it makes me feel cool (bitl like smoking)

Im Glad to hear so many respnsibly climbers are changing there parking practices.

Please dont take yourself too seriously

Lots of love to you all :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 09:11:35 am

Mighty black kettle you have there.

dave

#14 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 09:25:41 am
nice backpedaling there.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#15 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 11:40:42 am

Not true last night, there were cars parked all down the road in the contested area. I counted about 10 cars parked below the crag but the line was a lot longer than this as there were a few empty spaces where other cars had been parked. There was no one bouldering at the crag, lazy or otherwise, there were lots of middle aged people falling off most of the routes although I'd hesitate to call most of them punters!

The issue isn't whether or not we believe the parking is an issue but whether or not the police or locals do. The locals certainly do so I'd imagine the police will soon take an interest, they've ticketed people before and I believe there might be clearway signs at the start of that stretch. Given how popular the crag seems to be, without parking below the crag, the alternatives parking spaces will not be adequate.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#16 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 12:03:42 pm
maybe the farmer across the road can let people park on his land for a small £2 fee? like st.bees farmer

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 12:36:48 pm
It's only a few hundred metres up the road to a massive layby

Teaboy

• forum hero
#18 Re: Kilnsey Crag - Parking Problems
July 15, 2009, 02:47:29 pm
As a frequent late arrival at the crag this is where I usually park but on Sunday I took the last remaining space and I've also, in the past, had to park further up the road at the turning for Arncliff (again, not far to walk) but I would be concerned that if parking was banned beneath the crag it would not solve the problem of dangerous\/inconsiderate parking.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal