UKBouldering.com

Feet on campusing (Read 3127 times)

Link

Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 12:32:28 pm
Hello!

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

For various reasons, I am going to incorporate feet on campusing into my training shedule. Main reason is to maximise 1hr lunchtime sessions during an endurance orientated phase.

Never having done any campus board shenanagins before, I will have a session or two to get to grips with where I want to begin and estimate the structure individual sessions.

Endurance training in mind, one factor I am unsure of (which may become evident with some actual hand/feet on practice) is torso position during the excerise. Do I want to be predominantly hanging my mass directly below my hands or trying to core tension hips into the board?

Link

rodma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 12:58:32 pm
Do I want to be predominantly hanging my mass directly below my hands or trying to core tension hips into the board?

This really depends on what you're trying to emulate or achieve, hips into the board will greatly reduce the distance you can travel up the board before your body position has to change and will also mean less weight on your hands etc.

dave

#2 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 01:08:24 pm
1 hour training session - are you not better off sticking with something using a very limited/specific muscle group instead of campussing/climbing? I know I can't even get warmed up for proper training/campussing inside an hour, what with it using your whole body. Whereas you can get warmed up for basic deadhanging in a relatively short sace of time, thus getting the most out of your hour.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 01:37:57 pm
Whereas you can get warmed up for basic deadhanging in a relatively short sace of time

If you're not a total fuckwit like me that is.  >:(

Link

#4 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 05:30:59 pm
Rodma / Dave,

I read (I think in Rockfax Sport Climing +) that a good quick hit endurance training session would be an 1hr feet-on campusing, IIRC the recommendation for starting off was;

1.1/2 - 2mins, repeatedly doing - L1R1, L3, R4, L4, R3, L1, R1, R3, L4, R4, L3, R1, L1.............
1min Rest and repeat with the aim of doing this for the full 1hr or until your forearms explode.

I guess that if there is a gain to be made in a specific area by varying the position then what I am thinking about is an optimum postion for maximum gain. I dont plan on doing many of these sessions, just once a week during 4week cycle as a supplimentary.

dave

#5 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 05:43:26 pm
Rodma / Dave,

I read (I think in Rockfax Sport Climing +) that a good quick hit endurance training session would be an 1hr feet-on campusing

i've not seen the book but I'm assuming they've allowed for some kind of warmup outside that time.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 07:05:37 pm
i've not seen the book but I'm assuming they've allowed for some kind of warmup outside that time.

Staying on for 1 hour (2 on/one off) foot on campusing is more like an SACC/ARC workout so the intensity would be low enough not to require a lengthy warm-up.

It may be using a campus board but not its campussing as you know it Jim (Dave)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Feet on campusing
July 17, 2009, 11:00:46 pm
Jim trains on a Bachar ladder followed by a keg in his kitchen. All well inside an hour.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Re: Feet on campusing
July 18, 2009, 10:35:43 pm
unless he trains on his board, when he switches to cigars and mahito's

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal