UKBouldering.com

Liability insurance - anyone got any? (Read 2431 times)

fatkid2000

• junky
Liability insurance - anyone got any?
July 07, 2009, 07:23:52 pm
A mate of mine who commutes alot had an incident when he collided with the rear of a people carrier. Anyway luckily he was unhurt however the BMW he hit had some minor damage. He admits it happened as he was paying too much attention to a car behind him. Being a nice chap he gave his details to the driver and has now been contacted by the drivers insurance company and he is being pursued for the cost of a new rear bumper.

Now he does not have any insurance for this type of thing. Now i've had race insurance in the past but never bothered with what is effectively 3 rd party insurance - do others bother ? I've looked on the ctc website and it costs £36 / year for cover. I'm seriously thinking of getting some if car insurance companies ate taking this attitude. 

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Let me get this right.

He hit someone and admitted fault.  But his insurance company won't cover him for the cost of repair?   :-\

chappers

• forum hero
no. he does not have an insurance company.

i am insured as a member of british cycling.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Ah, sorry- I completely missed the point of the thread.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
I've got some - but only after a nasty collision - on way to climbing wall, going down hill at 30ish, car in front behind a bus.  Bus pulls into bus stop.  Hurrah I think, if car overtakes quick, then I won't have to brake!  Car hesitates, then nails it.  Great stuff, pedal goes down... watching bus as I scream past it, is the bastard going to pull out, no, great, look ahead.  Car is stationary at a zebra crossing 20 yards ahead.  No ABS = locked wheels, no chance of stopping, hit car on offside brake light, over the corner of it, faceplant on tarmac.

No damage to the car - don't know how.  Bent my bike a bit, head a bit fucked up but not too bad - self stitch job.  But it made me think two things:
- firstly, wear a helmet you divvy bastard
- secondly, what are you doing doing that speed
- thirdly, if I'd damaged the car, I'd have had to pay.  A rear light, plus some mechanic several hours to fit it is nae cheap.

Brought me to my senses in quite a few ways.  Must have been the bump to the head.

The CTC insurance is dirt cheap, especially when you consider that it covers the bike from being nicked by pikeys too.  Definitely worth it.

chappers

• forum hero
sorry, i forgot to say if i think it is worth it or not. yes! just imagine out on a club run/chain gang, touch wheels, fuck oneself up, it would be nice to think that the bike is covered etc...(i dread to think any bike and car interactions).

fatkid2000

• junky
My bikes are covered against crash damage / theft etc on my house insurance - I was just wandering about some kind of 3 rd party insurance for when I hit some tosser in a car & they try to blame it on me. Apparently the insurance company want £1K for the damage which he has challenged - he took a photo of the damage and it was like a tiny bumper scratch & nothing more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal