UKBouldering.com

Electric battery screwdriver/drill/impact driver? (Read 19760 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I'm looking to treat myself to a new electric screwdriver type thing to replace my old falling to bits battery drills.
I've never used an impact driver before, are these overkill for everyday use and only to be used for heavy duty screwing?
Would it be good enough using a specific battery screwdriver or is using a small drill better (more torque etc...)
Any recomendation? screwfix have a lot of good deals on at the moment, I'm looking to get one with a lithium battery, budget up to £100

Cheers

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I prefer a small battery drill/driver with a decent adjustable clutch, easy to operate reverse switch and variable speed trigger is what I prefer. The whole thing should balance nicely - the weight of the battery helps keep the thing stable. Never got on with those tube shaped electric screwdrivers. Make sure you get one with a spare battery.
Always liked the feel of the small Makitas, like this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52265/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-6261DWPE-9-6V-Cordless-Drill-Driver

Nice balance and rubbery grip

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Thats what I've always used, for a few more £££ than the makita I can get a slightly more powerfull drill and impact driver with litium batteries
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96657/Power-Tools/Kits/Bosch-0615990A96-10-8V-Drill-Impact-Driver

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
What's wrong with the big hammer/little nail system you've been using up until now?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
more successfully than your system it might be said

clm

• forum hero
What's wrong with the big hammer/little nail system you've been using up until now?

HAHA, if the big hammer is his gut, whats the little nail?   :shag:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Do you have a degree in pointing out the bleeding obvious or has the poisoned blood finally got to your brain?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Thats what I've always used, for a few more £££ than the makita I can get a slightly more powerfull drill and impact driver with litium batteries
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96657/Power-Tools/Kits/Bosch-0615990A96-10-8V-Drill-Impact-Driver

From my experience of Bosch tools, I'd think that that pair should be very nice. 800g for the drill/driver is pretty light - I assume it's due to better batteries. See if Screwfix will let you hold it before you buy (feel is important).

I have no experience of lithium powered power tools yet.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
The help pages listed on this 'page are very useful in matching your requirements with a drill/driver rig.

http://www.cheapcordlessdrills.co.uk/

ie,
Light DIY, maintenance or repair, such as putting new handles on a set of bedroom drawers or kitchen cabinets or assembling a CD rack.
Tasks of this nature generally don't require vast amounts of power so look at a 7v, 9v or 12v Cordless Drill Driver which will provide both portability and lightweight. A clutch with variable torque settings will allow you to achieve uniform results when driving in screws, also look out for a variable speed trigger which aids in driving in screws.

Intermediate DIY, repair or remodeling, such as constructing a shelving rack, building flat pack furniture or drilling and driving screws into plywood or hardboard.
Look towards a 12v or 14.4v Cordless Drill Driver or Cordless Hammer Drill (Cordless Combi Drill) which will provide the power to drill through wood and drive in screws. Look for a drill with various torque settings and a variable speed trigger. Bear in mind that you may need a second Cordless Drill Battery if you intend on working for long periods.

Advanced DIY and building work, such as installing kitchens or outdoor decking and drilling holes into masonry or steel.
These jobs will require a heavy-duty, high voltage Cordless Drill. Consider an 18v, 24v or 36v Cordless Hammer Drill (Cordless Combi Drill). Most come as standard with a second Cordless Drill Battery, if not more. Higher voltage means a weightier Cordless Drill, read more about Cordless Drill Battery Voltage. You should opt for lighter NiMH or Li-Ion batteries as opposed to Ni-Cad batteries, read more about Cordless Drill Battery types. You may need to select a Cordless Drill with a larger 13mm chuck to handle larger drill bits.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:36:33 pm by robertostallioni, Reason: I wished to extrapolate, so that Jim could accumulate, the knowledge so late. »

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
I must admit to feeling slightly cheated.
Having seen a thread on power drills with a reply from the Stally-loin I expected,
at the very least a picture of a large petrol-powered-drill/dildo combo.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
a drill-do?

kev.

impact drivers are indeed the daddy of all cordless screwdrivers, they require practically no effort to drive massive thick screws into hard wood, but theyre function is restricted to screwing things nuts etc.  So with your 100 quid you want the ability to drill as well i presume, personally i wouldnt entertain anything less than 18 volt, i dont think weight is really an issue since you climb your probably not going to faint from picking it up.  As far as brands go, having seen what alot of different trades use, and being a joiner myself i can say people basically choose a brand because by doing so you only need to have one type of battery.  Makita and DeWalt seem to be most popular, Bosch and Hitatchi are considered fine quality too.  Remember however that these companies are starting to make lower end tools these days, so dont presume that the brand assures "trade quality"  If i were buying again, i wouldnt be too picky.  Just search around for something that is really really cheap, for home use any of the big name tools will do you proud.

rodma

• forum hero
personally i wouldnt entertain anything less than 18 volt, i dont think weight is really an issue since you climb your

:agree:

Also check the ampage of the batteries, as it is the power that is important. I bought a 24V cordless drill (B&Q performance pro) as it was relatively inexpensive, unfortunately it weighed about half a stone, the batteries were ni-cad (and only 1amp) and the charge only lasted 10mins.

I've had a shot of Panasonic cordless drills, they have Li-on batteries, don't weigh very much and could break your forearm into tiny pieces. Unfortunately, they cost the earth.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
I can vouch for these (half the pair mentioned above)......

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS40-2-10-8-Volt-Impact-Driver/dp/B000P71QJW

...being excellent. I've used one for setting and for general home diy stuff for a year and its great. Not sure if I've would've gone for the impactor if I hadn't needed it for the wall but glad I did as its put up with shit loads of punishment and has plenty of power where necessary.  Very light and the battery life is good (with lithium, the power level doesn't drop as it drains, until its completely empty). You get two batteries and the charger fast so you can keep rotating them. Plus I like the led lights on the front when you're working in a dark spot. Doesn't drill tho - Impactors rarely do this well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:18:51 am by Carnage »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
ended up getting the bosch pair in the end, very good for everyday use although for any really heavy duty stuff I'll be getting out the 18v drill

tomtom

• forum hero
I must admit to feeling slightly cheated.
Having seen a thread on power drills with a reply from the Stally-loin I expected,
at the very least a picture of a large petrol-powered-drill/dildo combo.

Indeed - endless opportunity for innuendo and filth.
But none taken....  :o RS whats up? Are you not feeling yourself?
 ;)

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I do like my DIY and need some sort of Drill-do myself so figured I would break the habit of a lifetime and attempt to be constructive. I'll get back to the smut now, then. :-[

nik at work

• forum hero
RS whats up? Are you not feeling yourself?
 ;)

He is feeling himself, which is what distracted him from his duties as smut-master-general.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal