UKBouldering.com

Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia (Read 119708 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#25 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 03, 2009, 11:06:23 pm
One problem with these alwaysontheinternetphones is that when you go on holiday remember to take another phone. I managed to turn mine onto airplane mode rather than off.  I realised when I landed in Paris and switched it off immediately but was still billed £5 :oops:

If you have the 'data connection when roaming' option turned off this shouldn't happen right? I need to get to the bottom of this before heading to the states so I don't get charged loads!

That's what i set my devices too and it has always been fine. It will still show GPRS in the corner probably but will be in lower case to show its not enabled, ie, gprs.

philo

• forum hero
#26 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 04, 2009, 02:57:02 am
my iphone has done its job, ive dropped it a few times tho, so no more rounded edges oops.
as for applications, its the best thing for it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#27 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 04, 2009, 03:06:21 am
as for applications, its the best thing for it.
So long as Apple vets them first...

Apple's App Store policy is the main reason I wouldn't get an iPhone. That and the sub-par camera.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#28 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 04, 2009, 09:07:11 am
If you have the 'data connection when roaming' option turned off this shouldn't happen right? I need to get to the bottom of this before heading to the states so I don't get charged loads!
I'm not sure how it works on android but on win mobile it can turn itself back on if certain programs request it.
Best off looking for a program like nodata to be sure or turn your phone to GSM mode

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#29 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 01:51:25 pm
Right, here is a titbit you might find interesting (although you have probably already gone out and purchased by now), there is a bit of clever marketing spin going on around the term 'push email'.

Push implies the infrastructure recieves a new message for you, and then actively seeks out a passive handset on the interweb and sends the mail down - which is not what actually happens. Push on non blackberry devices is actually a constantly expiring HTTP get request on the device - not unlike a train departure board on a web page or something like that. Effectively the device is polling the server for updates, and its this which causes the data connection to be always on, knackering the battery and meaning you have to have a less prohibitive data tariff.

Blackberry on the other hand, works so well because there is a network operations center which maintains a list of where the devices are, and although this means the device isnt polling and has better battery life etc etc, it does also mean you are reliant on someone else's hardware for which you have to pay for access. Think also of the implications for roaming. Because you arent constantly checking, so you only pay for the mails you actually get sent. Additionally, Blackberry is architected to send only the first kb - i.e. the header and first couple of lines only. When you open the message and scroll down, only then does it fetch the rest. So for travellers, BB is a pretty strong solution.

Traditionally speaking blackberry was great for corporates but not so good for consumers - because of the subscription. These days, the gap is closer, more people are starting to adopt them as their own phones, and the subscription is less and less. For multimedia, best of breed is without doubt the iPhone, and in terms of os functionality then apple are way ahead (RIM have been rehashing the same basic OS for 10 years!), windows mobile looks more compelling when you get to 6.5, but has traditionally been crippled by battery life and being unstable. Symbian (nokia, sony ericsson) is a little long in the tooth now, and whilst it makes for a good phone, the other stuff you come to expect from a modern smartphone is pretty poor.

Finally, regards shooters the Nokias and Sony ericssons of the world win. BB and iPhone are fairly shite to be honest.

cofe

• forum hero
#30 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 01:58:11 pm
I was with up to 'titbit'...

p.s. Tweak your avatar in photolog; your right arm is bigger than your left. ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 02:06:17 pm
Additionally, Blackberry is architected to send only the first kb - i.e. the header and first couple of lines only. When you open the message and scroll down, only then does it fetch the rest.

That would be the IMAP protocol as opposed to the POP protocol.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#32 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 03:06:53 pm
Actually no tech fans, its either! Think of it like this - Blackberry NOC (network operations thing, or relay to you and I) does the IMAP or POP bit, but still it doesnt send the header, it squishes it into its special format (UCS as memory serves) then it just sends that down, so whether you are IMAP, POP, MAPI (whatever!) it still only does that first KB. And thats what you pay for - the relay processing and squishing your messagio.

The arm size disparity is correct. That arm gets much more traffic

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 03:09:39 pm
Actually no tech fans, its either! Think of it like this - Blackberry NOC (network operations thing, or relay to you and I) does the IMAP or POP bit, but still it doesnt send the header, it squishes it into its special format (UCS as memory serves) then it just sends that down, so whether you are IMAP, POP, MAPI (whatever!) it still only does that first KB. And thats what you pay for - the relay processing and squishing your messagio.

Ah, good knowledge there, don't have a BB but I use the gmail app on my N95 which uses IMAP until I want to read a message.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 03:38:36 pm

Traditionally speaking blackberry was great for corporates but not so good for consumers - because of the subscription.

BlackBerries are also apparently the mobile e-mail device of choice for islamic terrorists, due to the 256-bit AES encryption of e-mail (the Indian government tried to get heavy with RIM and demand decryption keys after they allegedly kept catching dodgy characters coming across the northern borders with BlackBerries)

And the new iPhones seem to be the choice of people who want to have really hot ears

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#35 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 09, 2009, 11:03:15 pm
nice one for answering my unasked question about push email there dobbin.
My htc diamond only downloads the first whatever you select of an email, I think I set it to 20kb to cover most text and its set to check for email every 2 hours although you can set this to what ever you want and also check manually.
If I wasn't loving my winmobile device I would definately be going back to nokia

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#36 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 10, 2009, 07:44:21 am
I think the key thing is that whilst it feels like push, and may appear to arrive at the same time as the mail on the blackberry, its a less efficient solution from the point of view of battery life and data usage. Guess the thinking is that there are more and more unlimited data plans these days, or at worst then mobile data is cheaper than ever, and all the phone manufacturers think we carry a generator and charger around with us wherever we go. I can still remember my old Nokia 6310i which would do a full week between charges, and I used to nail the minutes too. But I couldnt take pictures or send emails I suppose. Is life really better for these things?

The indian case was an interesting one to watch, as one of the reasons we like it (as a corporate) is because its so secure. The very fact that they cant see what you are writing is the reason we can offer it and comply with IT security policy, but this leads back to the age old argument law enforcement agencies always leverage, that they should have access to it all... blah blah blah, could go on about this for hours.

I am quite excited about Android. Not so sure about the devices yet, as I like an actual keyboard, but am watching that space with a view to something I can get on with coming out. I also read there was some mention of an Android netbook remix which would be hotstuff.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#37 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 10, 2009, 08:00:07 am
Hey there are far worse gadget freaks than me you know.

If it's a phone you want to use for work and managing work emails then a BB would be the at the top of most peoples lists.  If it was for personal use though I'd choose the iPhone every time.  I use a BB for work but am seriously tempted to buy a new iPhone for my own use.

fully agree on this, my iphone / mobileme setup for personal use is great. secure web file access, public galleries, the push mail.. all very cool.
M iphone last 48hrs of wifi / txting with perhaps 4 or 4 calls. doesnt crash.

I'd go bb of i had more work stuff on it. Interestingly my executive at work have all gone iphone, probs coz it integrated v well with the hell that is groupwise email...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#38 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 10, 2009, 10:25:35 am
my 6310i used to last for 2 weeks between charges.
The best mobile phone ever made?

dave

#39 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 10, 2009, 10:34:26 am

its a shame that battery technology is far more mature than mobile technology, they can't keep up.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#40 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 10, 2009, 12:23:33 pm
My bro really rates his N71.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#41 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
July 10, 2009, 05:42:21 pm
The best mobile phone ever made?

that was indeed a quality device.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#42 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 03, 2009, 02:44:47 pm
pick up my n97 later from sorting office ;D
What have you thought to the N97 Namnok?

I've been looking at the N86 which is more compact with a better cam but the N97 looks great for data on the move.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#43 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 03, 2009, 07:45:22 pm
pick up my n97 later from sorting office ;D
What have you thought to the N97 Namnok?

I've been looking at the N86 which is more compact with a better cam but the N97 looks great for data on the move.

i'm quite torn actually.

there are a few cons
if any apps are left open you have to go into each one and exit them individually (unless there is a quicker alternate way i havent found yet) in the 1st day i was playing and learning how to use it, my battery lasted a day cos i had loads of apps unknowingly open
it's crashed a few times...esp when i answer a call...you have to slide your finger across the screen instead of simply pressing an answer button.

a few pros
it has a good 5mp camera, used it the first weekend to take pics taking doggie out with the missus, impressed for a mobile phone camera, as we all know they can be slow when it comes to taking shots
the qwerty keypad is small but good. texting the old fashion way using the touchscreen is ok but fiddly  - you have to go into a diff screen to write the message then ok it to go back to add the sender.
the personalisable homescreen is good but i barely use it as it's just as easy to go to, lets say view a text via the menu screen.

i've been tempted to send it back a few times but in all honesty its a good little gadget that really should be a keeper but i still wonder if i should have waited for the palm pre.

all i really wanted was a web enabled, qwerty keypad-ed & touchscreen phone. n97 does the trick for now, well for the next 17months anyway, what's with all these bloody 18/24 month contracts?

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#44 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 03, 2009, 08:02:47 pm
tonight's gadget show on channel5 comparing iphone with n97 and another which i didnt see

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#45 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 03, 2009, 09:35:11 pm
I ended getting an iPhone 3GS for personal use and it has exceeded my expectations in termsof features, performance and apps. I run a Mac wireless network at home mind with a mini attached to the Tele and NAS drive with 3 airports around the house so I can now use the phone to wirelessly play music from the NAS to Lounge, Kitchen and bedroom. I have a MobileMe account and can access all my remote files from the phone. The camera is better than expected with great post-processing apps and upload to Flick or mobile me and has a low-fi feel to it that adds a bit of character.  The Wordpress app is great for blogging and Tweetie do The browser is super quick but doesnt run Flash. Tweetie does everything a Twitter app should. On Saturday I DJ'd at a party and played a couple of live improve using Beatmaker through my mixer and I've just watched a Harvard Lecture on iTunes. 

Battery life could be better and the call quality could be improved but otherwise it's a fantastic little machine and I'm pleased I waited til the 3GS to cough up for one.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#47 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 03, 2009, 10:44:37 pm
I ended getting an iPhone 3GS for personal use and it has exceeded my expectations in termsof features, performance and apps. I run a Mac wireless network at home mind with a mini attached to the Tele and NAS drive with 3 airports around the house so I can now use the phone to wirelessly play music from the NAS to Lounge, Kitchen and bedroom. I have a MobileMe account and can access all my remote files from the phone. The camera is better than expected with great post-processing apps and upload to Flick or mobile me and has a low-fi feel to it that adds a bit of character.  The Wordpress app is great for blogging and Tweetie do The browser is super quick but doesnt run Flash. Tweetie does everything a Twitter app should. On Saturday I DJ'd at a party and played a couple of live improve using Beatmaker through my mixer and I've just watched a Harvard Lecture on iTunes. 

Battery life could be better and the call quality could be improved but otherwise it's a fantastic little machine and I'm pleased I waited til the 3GS to cough up for one.

excellent synopsis, I just wish I could see flash.. and that's not for pr0n...

tomtom

• forum hero
#48 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 08:05:30 am

excellent synopsis, I just wish I could see flash.. and that's not for pr0n...

Youtube convert their files on the fly to Quicktime (or whatever) for Iphone users -so its just other flash things that dont work..

Plattsy

• forum hero
#49 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 08:45:10 am
tonight's gadget show on channel5 comparing iphone with n97 and another which i didnt see

It was the Palm Pre I think. The Gadget Show website hasn't been update with the reviews. Think the Palm Pre came last with the Ipod top.

what's with all these bloody 18/24 month contracts?

I wish I knew. I really don't feel comfortable owning the same phone for longer than 12months. Most phones seem to have a peformance shelf life of around 12 months (In the case of my C902 about 6 months)which means 6 months of crap performance/sending it back for fixing.

The main problem I have with the Iphone is that everyone seems to have one. Obviously this means they're good but just too common.

The N97 I like the look of and have had Symbian Nokias in the past but these have often been veeerrrrrryyy slllllloooww. Have they improved this? Also the fold out keyboard however smart is a working part ready for breaking.

Blackberries remind me of work.

Anyone played with a HTC phone?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal