UKBouldering.com

Memory Bits 20% discount (Read 5979 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 10:18:28 am
Thought this might be useful to some

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 11:25:05 am
Good call there Dylan.

In a similarly related vein me and Stubbs both clocked these bargains from Ebuyer...

Acer Aspire One A150 Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM 120GB HDD,8.9" Webcam, Blue, Linux Linpus Lite

...at the bargain price of £149.98.

I ummed and ahhed for a few hours and have just bought one if only to punt it on at a profit on fleabay or similar (two listed there one at £149 the other at £199, should be able to get more than £149 for it I reckon).  Will probably remove Linpus and install Ubuntu and can help others do the same.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 12:12:43 pm
Bit of scratching shows its eBuyer themselves selling them at £149 on eBay, so once they're gone prices will be more similar to other listed versions (I hope!).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 03:03:20 pm
One less now available  ;), gonna bung Win7 on it and have a play.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 03:23:24 pm
One less now available  ;), gonna bung Win7 on it and have a play.

Is that feasible?  Technically I'm sure it is, but pragmatically....

Successive M$-windoze releases seem to require ever increasing amounts of RAM and HD space, and basically M$ trying to muscle in on the netbook market is in my eyes starting to kill it before it gets off the ground as XP/Vista/(presumably) Win7 all require higher spec machines, which goes hand in hand with increased hardware spec, bulkier machines and a double whammy of increased price due to higher spec hardware AND OS license fee (yes I know Win7 Release Candidate is free for a few more months but the general point still stands that you have to pay for a copy of M$, but not for whatever Linux variant you bung on there).

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#5 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 05:02:13 pm

Is that feasible?  Technically I'm sure it is, but pragmatically....

Successive M$-windoze releases seem to require ever increasing amounts of RAM and HD space, and basically M$ trying to muscle in on the netbook market is in my eyes starting to kill it before it gets off the ground as XP/Vista/(presumably) Win7 all require higher spec machines, which goes hand in hand with increased hardware spec, bulkier machines and a double whammy of increased price due to higher spec hardware AND OS license fee (yes I know Win7 Release Candidate is free for a few more months but the general point still stands that you have to pay for a copy of M$, but not for whatever Linux variant you bung on there).
[/quote]

I've got 2 machines at home both the same spec - quad core 2.83ghz with 4gb ram and sata hard disks and quadro fx graphics cards.  Both machines are used as CAD workstations, one is running Win7RC 32bit the other Win XP 32 bit the Windows 7 machine runs appreciably faster all round!  I agree with windows7 taking more HD space but it seems to me to be a pretty good OS.  I guess time will tell as they release succesive updates that slow your machine down?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 06:36:23 pm
Vista wasn't developed with Netbooks in mind, Win7 was. I know people already running Win7 on Dell Mini9s etc. I did say 'have a play', if it's slow/crap/frustrating it's back to LinBunXPtu.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#7 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
June 30, 2009, 06:58:15 pm
Good call there Dylan.

In a similarly related vein me and Stubbs both clocked these bargains from Ebuyer...

Acer Aspire One A150 Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM 120GB HDD,8.9" Webcam, Blue, Linux Linpus Lite

...at the bargain price of £149.98.

Not dissimilar from mine then?

A2 quality, but I can't tell that mine's even been used at all!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 01, 2009, 12:10:39 am
Vista wasn't developed with Netbooks in mind, Win7 was. I know people already running Win7 on Dell Mini9s etc. I did say 'have a play', if it's slow/crap/frustrating it's back to LinBunXPtu.

Thats interesting and something I wasn't aware of.  Do they custom compile kernel images to the architecture of the processor then?  I.e. "I'm installing on a quad-core so we'll have the 64-bit kernel with all the lashings" v's "I'm installing on an Atom so we'll have the slim-line kernel so we don't eat up all the resources".

Damn, I missed a trick there! ::)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#9 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 01, 2009, 12:45:09 am

Damn, I missed a trick there! ::)

I ummed and ahhed for a few hours and have just bought one if only to punt it on at a profit on fleabay or similar (two listed there one at £149 the other at £199, should be able to get more than £149 for it I reckon).

Why not?

Will probably remove Linpus and install Ubuntu and can help others do the same.

Let me know how it goes. I'm not a power user, but would like a little more to play with than what I've got (although I'm loving the pre-installed games!)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 01, 2009, 04:54:38 pm
Let me know how it goes. I'm not a power user, but would like a little more to play with than what I've got (although I'm loving the pre-installed games!)

The games will be available on all Linux distributions, in fact there are probably far more available than those that come with the customised Linpus Linux distribution.

Dispatched this afternoon, should be here tomorrow (all being well), will let you know how installing (X)Ubuntu goes and write it up for reference.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 02, 2009, 09:59:32 am
I ummed and ahhed for a few hours and have just bought one if only to punt it on at a profit on fleabay or similar (two listed there one at £149 the other at £199, should be able to get more than £149 for it I reckon).

Why not?

Forgot to answer this.

I'm not really in the market for a netbook (although am curious about them and my wife may yet keep it to replace her aging laptop), but I have a Dell Latitude X300 which despite being about six or seven years old is ultra-portable by virtue of being 1.98cm thick.  I've had it up and running Gentoo for donkeys years and it does everything I want it to.

When Apple bought out their ultra-thin Macbook air I wondered what all the fuss was since the Latitude X300 is a whole 4mm thicker and had been around for a few years!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 07, 2009, 02:13:21 pm
Will probably remove Linpus and install Ubuntu and can help others do the same.

Been doing some reading and when I get some spare time will be sticking Eeebuntu which whilst designed for the Asus Eee family apparently installs fine on Acer One's (see also here for details of how to boot from a USB drive).

Am passing on this bargain to my neighbour (at zero profit, although maybe a few beers for the trouble of "unlocking" it from the Mickey Mouse Linpus install).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 07, 2009, 02:43:04 pm
Another netbook bargain from Ebuyer in the form of Compaq 702EA Mini would probably be £50 cheap if it didn't have a  :wank: OEM OS  :P :whistle:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 07, 2009, 08:01:01 pm
not quite cheap enough to warrant immediate purchase, can you put this shit in the net book thread, missed the first bargain till obi pointed it out the other day and they had all gone by then

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Memory Bits 20% discount
July 08, 2009, 08:04:38 am
not quite cheap enough to warrant immediate purchase, can you put this shit in the net book thread, missed the first bargain till obi pointed it out the other day and they had all gone by then

Duly noted, stuck the offer in here as the MemoryBits thread had popped up that day (I habitually browse the forums by looking at the "Show unread posts since last visit" as opposed to specific sub-forums/threads and blithely figured everyone else does the same and would therefore see it).

If an admin wants to do some jiggery pokery to keep it all together thats fine by me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal