UKBouldering.com

very cheap roadie. (Read 3843 times)

james

• obsessive maniac
very cheap roadie.
June 22, 2009, 01:01:08 pm
Good afternoon,

I am in the market for a very cheap roadbike ~ £300.  Dont want to spend too much more than that because a) it will most likely get nicked in mancy, and b) I dont need anything fancy as its just for pootling round to maintain aerobic fitness on my rest days - means to an end, not end to a means (or should that be the other way around)

So after a while of scouring the forums, I have found a few potentials, and they are as follows:

2007 lemond reno, red and black, with 9speed tiagra running gear, just replaced cables and bar tape, rides well, new chain and casette - £250

Specialized Allez Comp 2003 frame with... £400
- Carbon Fork and Aluminium steerer tube, carbon spacers. I've fitted a steering tube extender because the bike is slightly too small for me (I'm a long bodied 5'11") but this can be easily removed.
- BRAND NEW Mavic CPX 22 700c wheelset with Specialized hubs. I've bought a new bike and switched my older wheels onto it because I can't be bothered to change the tyres. Hence it also has brand new specialized pro road tyres. In the picture they are flat, but this was only because I was swapping the wheels over and needed some pictures before I lost the light. Now reinflated!
- Ultegra 10 mechs (front is a braze on mount)
- Ultegra 10 shifters and brakes
- Ultegra chainset and Octalink BB.
- Specialized Body Geometry saddle.
- ITM aluminium seat post
- 3T aluminium road bars, new Specialized bar tape and Gel inserts to smooth out road vibration.

or this, but I dont have much info on actual spec...
GT ZR 3.0 Dura-Ace rear mech, Ultegra front - £350 (link to pics http://www.nothingtosee.co.uk/photos/photo_gallery.php?id=6)

did start to look at slightly more expensive options ie for £500

Frame: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Aluminium
Fork: FL5 Bianchi K-VID New Carbon Aluminium
Gears: Campagnolo Veloce front and Campagnolo Mirage 10 speed rear derailleurs
Shifters: Campagnolo Mirage
Crankset: FSA Gossamer MegaExo cranks 53/39 (Upgraded
Brakes: RC-466E-Forged Alloy Dual-Pivot caliper (Front+Rear)
Wheels: Ambrosio WS 23 rims built on Miche Racing front and rear hubs
Tyres: Michelin Dynamic 700x23c/Specialized Roubaix Pro 23c
Handlebar: RC HB-3038 Alloy 6061 round
Stem: RC DA-32 3D forged alloy
Saddle: San Marco Ponza
Seatpost: RC SP-928-G Carbon fiber
Pedals/Extras: Look KEO Easy Pedals

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

James

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#1 Re: very cheap roadie.
June 22, 2009, 01:31:47 pm
The GT ZR3 used to be my bike. Its the bike that got me into road riding. I sold it to a mate, who hasn't ridden it at all and so is now selling it.

I can fill in a couple of blanks on spec:

Shifters are 9 speed Durace, cranks are Ultegra. The wheels are pretty good wheels, cost £400 a few years ago, but i can't remember the exact model, but they are Campagnolo and nice and light. Cassette is a virtually unused Ultegra 12-27 (100km at most). I think that the brake calipers are 105. Seatpost is original GT seatpost.

Definitely worth a look in my biased opinion....Seller is based in Sheffield.

james

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: very cheap roadie.
June 23, 2009, 10:32:46 pm
Ok its now down to either a GT ZR 3.0 or a Giant SCR 3.0 and could do with some quick advice...

Giant SCR 3 £300
http://flybywire.pinkbike.com/album/Giant-SCR-upgraded/
56cm 6061 alux frame with semi-compact geometry

Carbon bladed forks with alloy steerer, integrated headset, oversized Prolite handlebars/FSA 100mm stem.

Sora 8 speed gearset with BBB cassette kmc Z9000 chain.

Chice of Race face cadence 39/53 non compact double or Tiagra 4500 38/50 compact chainset supplied with hollowtech BB. (both 175mm crank length)

Sigma 1200 rear wheel sensor computer included

Uprated wheels, rear Whr 500 & front Campag Vento 20. Bontrager race x folding tyres

Good reliable bike, weighs 9.3kgs..

GT ZR 3 £350
http://www.nothingtosee.co.uk/photos/photo_gallery.php?id=6
54cm frame, carbon fork

Shifters are 9 speed Durace, cranks are Ultegra. brake calipers are 105.  Cassette is a virtually unused Ultegra 12-27 (100km at most)

The wheels are pretty good wheels, cost £400 a few years ago, but i can't remember the exact model, but they are Campagnolo and nice and light.

What would you fountains of knowledge do?  Both similar priced, is there anything that shines out?

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#3 Re: very cheap roadie.
June 24, 2009, 09:07:44 am
seeing as they're different frame sizes and types then if you haven't done so already, take both bikes out for a spin.

the gt's got better components, but is older; giant being the opposite

personal aesthetics, but the gt frame stands out

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: very cheap roadie.
June 24, 2009, 11:22:44 am
Buy the one that fits - like Soapy said. It'll make more difference to your enjoyment than any other variation in spec.
The GT's better value though IMO, and that paint job is sweet!

clm

• forum hero
#5 Re: very cheap roadie.
June 24, 2009, 02:20:04 pm
How tall are you James?  make sure that they arent too small.  that edinburgh cycle do good cheap own branders.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal