UKBouldering.com

alps maps... (Read 2027 times)

chappers

• forum hero
alps maps...
June 19, 2009, 10:10:22 am
booked the ferry last night. 1 week riding in the alps.

anyone know an online store that sells specific road cycling maps of the alps and provence? (im thinking about the one i have for the peak that shows all the "quiet lanes" and back roads...).

cheers, chris

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1 Re: alps maps...
June 20, 2009, 09:22:15 pm
Most of the classic alpine cols follow very easy to navigate country (seeing as how there is normally only one or two roads over the big passes), so I normally just use a standard road atlas to locate the passes and then use http://www.climbbybike.com to sort out the rest - which is the best direction to go, average gradients, climb profiles, etc, etc. Also the book Tour Climbs by Chris Sidwells is very useful to help plan rides and sort the really good cols from the also rans (although you will still need a road atlas to help with planning the routes, and good luck to you if you feel the need to take the book with you....its massive!) You won't need any sneaky info on back roads like you do in the Peak. A lot of the tourist info offices have maps for cyclists - the one in Bourg d'Oisans was very helpful when I was there last year.
I can highly recommend a few days getting your eye in, before the classic loop starting from Bourg d'Oisans, up the Croix de Fer, pootle down t'other side, then up the Col de Galibier, down the Col de Lautaret and finish up Alp d'Huez.
A week in the alps - I'm well jealous.  :'(

chappers

• forum hero
#2 Re: alps maps...
June 21, 2009, 09:42:56 am
just dug out the road map percy, as you say it is fine, cheers for that. (i forgot what we used in the pyrenees last year, then i remembered we had a guy riding with us who lived there!!).
noted down the route you suggested, and i have the book of cols.

that ride looks epic, i cant wait. any more you can suggest? we are going to nip over to ventoux so i can run up the road shouting at the riders, any in provence for the day before?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal