UKBouldering.com

Word of warning for those who chuff on Portland (Read 2380 times)

Dr T

• forum hero
for Info - taken from dorset-climbing.com

Climbers should be aware that there has been a recurrence of children throwing items from the cliff-top at the Blacknor cliffs as well as a thefts of climbing equipment.

In one incident climbers were directly targeted with rocks. Any further incidences should be reported to the police before a tragedy occurs.

JohnM

• junky
Yeah this happened to us the other weekend.  This little scrote at the top of Blacknor North was throwing rocks directly at us.  We shouted up that he would kill someone and he said 'I don't f**king care, I want to kill someone'.  It might just take a police home visit to some of the young kids in the area to try and emphasise the seriousness of it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
There was an incident at Logie Head recently where some climbers keys, mobiles etc were nicked from their when they were away from them. Police caught the offenders, but as they were about 12 couldn't do anything, and they had thrown all the stuff in the sea. Was a posting on UKC.

tubbs

• regular
for Info - taken from dorset-climbing.com

Climbers should be aware that there has been a recurrence of children throwing items from the cliff-top at the Blacknor cliffs as well as a thefts of climbing equipment.

In one incident climbers were directly targeted with rocks. Any further incidences should be reported to the police before a tragedy occurs.

Every time this has happened to me on Portland I've called the police. You feel like a bit of a plonker doing this, but if everyone does it, they'll take it seriously enough.

A few years back, the local police went around the Portland schools to educate them as to why they sholdn't chuck stuff off the cliffs (why they needed to be taught I don't know).

Direct action in the past has been satisfying, but probably not a good idea in this day and age.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal