UKBouldering.com

Roadie conversions (Read 3313 times)

Ferrito

• regular
  • newsell
Roadie conversions
June 16, 2009, 06:38:17 pm
I have recently acquired myself a sweet as feck Raleigh winner, circa 1987. Usual wear and tear on it, ie, rusty as a rusty rusty thing, but all still in good working order. I need to replace the tyres on it, and was thinking of these
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwalbe_Lugano_Road_Tyre/5360042613/

Also, to combat the rust issue, and make it look generally natty, I'm planning to strip and paint the frame. I also have a set of bmx pedals to go it, when i can get the current ones off.

How hard is it to replace gear systems and the like? Also, I plan on doing the brakes at some point.

Any advice? Recommendations?

Oh, and I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

Thanks for your help!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Roadie conversions
June 16, 2009, 07:04:43 pm
rust is an issue methinks.
i think you'd better give the entire frame a very good, deep sanding, to take all the old paint and new rust away. then you should give it a layer of rust-protective paint, then finally the paint, which will have to be very good, to substain the rain, changes of temps and so on.
it also depends on the material of the frame.

chappers

• forum hero
#2 Re: Roadie conversions
June 16, 2009, 09:22:18 pm
the most important thing, as our italian friend says is: "how bad is the rust?"
then: should this stay as a beater for leaving outside the pub and worth even the small amount of money you are willing to spend on it?

there are ways of getting rid of rust on a frame using a paddling pool and some chemicals. is it worth the effort?

why the BMX pedals?

clm

• forum hero
#3 Re: Roadie conversions
June 17, 2009, 06:46:51 am
If you think its worth spending the money you can get things sand blasted and powder coated.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Roadie conversions
June 17, 2009, 07:53:40 am
I was going to say exactly the same thing regarding sand / bead blast. Although if it really rusty you might not end up with much left once you have blasted all the rust off. Might be a better idea rust to get some oil on the most rusty bits to stop it rusting further. Remember rust never sleeps. Like me at the moment.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#5 Re: Roadie conversions
June 17, 2009, 09:31:00 am
if it's rusty on the outside then how bad will it be internally..?

prolly not worth a re-paint, just pop new tires on it and ride until it disintegrates

Ferrito

• regular
  • newsell
#6 Re: Roadie conversions
June 17, 2009, 12:19:55 pm
have given it a bit of a scrub this morning, and most of the rust has come off, so it seems fairly superficial. Which is good news. Everything else is well greased up,so it all seems alright, and rides ok.

The current pedals are pretty loose, and i've got a spare pair of bmx pedals floating round the house, so i thought i'd put them to good use.

I like to idea of riding until disintegration though.

Cheers for your help

erm, sam

• forum hero
#7 Re: Roadie conversions
June 23, 2009, 10:22:50 pm
My only advice would be: Don't go on Retrobike.co.uk. If you do you'll sucked into a vortex of being obsessed about old bikes in a way you had never thought possible. I was at least.....
Everything is pretty easy to upgrade/clean/replace in my experience, but you might end up buying a few tools for bottom brackets and rear cassettes or freewheels etc. Its all a lot simpler as well though if there is an understanding local bike shop nearby. The one near me always looks at me like I'm gone out. Asking stupid questions about spacers to use 7spd casettes on 8spd hubs etc...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ is also a good place to check out queries about gear eg is it a freehub or cassette on the back wheel.
http://velobase.com is good for identifying those could be very desirable old bits and bobs...
I wouldn't bother getting teh frame resprayed unless the bike was a deffo keeper. Eg cool and desirable (cinelli super corsa) or heartwarming story of love and loss tied up in that specific frame (raleigh frame your grandad wrestled out of occupied europe on the back of a donkey)...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal