UKBouldering.com

Tedious political thread, please ignore if you're above politics (Read 96615 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Without reference to looks...
The worst part is that I still think she was the better option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
Fuck that - is she a pizza or curry kinda Pm??

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Ditto. To take this view seems to me to involve complete denial of the realistic alternatives. Had the coalition continued I wonder if we'd even have had this current debacle?

Had the lib-dems gone into coalition with labour, as most of their voters expected, then we certainly wouldn't.

In addition to agreeing with what JB said in his reply to this, you are conveniently forgetting that Brown basically vetoed the idea of a coalition with the Lib Dems at birth.

The whole "we had to go with the public who wanted change" thing, while true, was also face saving for Clegg who had been told to do one in no uncertain terms by Brown.

I think this was almost definitely for the same reasons that JB mentioned though. Although the media love to make out that Brown was a bumbling idiot he was and is far from it and he knew it would have been a disaster.

The collapse in support for the Lib Dems was due to millions of people refusing to apply a bit of thought to the situation and not understanding anything about politics. And that's got us to where we are now.

Amazing that with the evidence of 5 years of coalition and 1 year of the Tories left to their own devices people are still trying to blame the Lib Dems for anything FFS.

T_B

• forum hero

The collapse in support for the Lib Dems was due to millions of people refusing to apply a bit of thought to the situation and not understanding anything about politics. And that's got us to where we are now.

Amazing that with the evidence of 5 years of coalition and 1 year of the Tories left to their own devices people are still trying to blame the Lib Dems for anything FFS.

+ 1

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
New Statesman has been somewhat brutal in their summing up of Cameron's career:

"When the end came, it was merciless: David Cameron was hurried out of Downing Street a humiliated and defeated man, brought down by his own insouciance and gambler’s instinct. His is an epic failure, comparable to what befell Anthony Eden after the Suez crisis (Eden won a comfortable majority at the general election of 1955 but was gone less than two years later) or Neville Chamberlain, who is for ever stained by the shame of appeasement. Cameron is the prime minister who lost Europe as a result of an attempt to settle an internal party dispute, and perhaps, ultimately, the United Kingdom as well."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i.munro

• junky

In addition to agreeing with what JB said in his reply to this, you are conveniently forgetting that Brown basically vetoed the idea of a coalition with the Lib Dems at birth.

I certainly am forgetting that , in that  I have no memory of it happening.
A Lib-dem perspective on the situation from http://www.newstatesman.com/2010/12/labour-lib-andrew-coalition  also makes no mention of it.

"Instead, we found that the Conservatives made major policy concessions, and quickly; while, after three days of talking, Labour was too disorganised or divided even to table clear positions on tax, education spending, pensions or the deficit. And, on voting reform, Ed Balls was bluntly warning us that Labour MPs might not vote for their own manifesto pledge to support a referendum on the Alternative Vote."

At some point it must have become clear that ,rather than the right of centre policies  one might reasonably expect from a Condem govt what was actually happening was way to the right of anything seen in Europe before and way to the right of anything anyone (even Tory voters) had voted for.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
I've criticised him before now, but Jeremy Corbyn has been electrifying this past day in leading the charge against the May cabinet, ripping Hammond to shreds, got a few laughs at Osborne's defenestration, and has been relentless in his battering of the beyond satire Johnson appointment.

That or he's been quiet.

petejh

• forum hero
Perhaps he's just got more substance  than that. I agree he's not a strong leader though.

tomtom

• forum hero
Quote from Richard Madely's Twitter feed.

"Yes, was at school with Phil Hammond - a Goth back then.Used to arrive in class in leather trench-coat with The Guardian under his arm."

galpinos

• forum hero
I know I need to stop posting Stephen Collins cartoons but the hiring an dfiring of the cabinet just makes me think of the "Hello New Minister" strip:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
That's ok Galpinos. If you didn't laugh about it all, you'd cry.

I know the Emergency services feel that way.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. Looking at you, here, Dense. 

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
The world reaction to Boris International LTD is cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Boris Johnson is foreign secretary: The world reacts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-36790977

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Why make intelligent comment in such bizarre times as these? After all a picture paints a thousand words and a meme can race around the world before the truth has got his boots on.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. Looking at you, here, Dense. 

tc

• junky
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/a-map-of-the-countries-boris-johnson-has-offended--W1zaTLC63rW

I was reminded today of a historical precedent. The Roman Emperor Caligula made his horse a senator.
Actually, on reflection, I think Caligula probably got the better deal.

tomtom

• forum hero
Andrea Loathesome as Env Minister is a bad thing....

webbo

• forum hero
An environment minister who supports fracking. :-\

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Just watched Boris on channel 4 news, being booed by the (I think) staff of the French embassy.
Great stuff. So proud. The arsehole couldn't even string a sentence together.

rich d

• forum hero
Just watched Boris on channel 4 news, being booed by the (I think) staff of the French embassy.
Great stuff. So proud. The arsehole couldn't even string a sentence together.

I'd not seen that, thanks, at least he's not PM, I have no idea why he's been given a cabinet post - unless there was a pre leadership deal, with the understanding that he'd drop out of the race for a cabinet position.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

Yeah, kinda shits all over my brief moment of hope.

tomtom

• forum hero
Yes - the Etonians have been largely cleared out but replaced with a fresh batch of swivel eyed loons...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Is it me, or is Boris actually not going to be in charge of much more than tourists with lost passports?

Sounds like the Foreign Office is being emasculated and most serious stuff moved to new departments?

Boris Johnson on first day as foreign secretary
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36798348

galpinos

• forum hero

Quote from: webbo
An environment minister who supports fracking. :-\

She was energy minister before so I'm not sure it's much of a change. She's there as a "Brexiteer" to tell the farmers they aren't getting any subsidies anymore I imagine. That might tie her up for a while, delaying her repealing the fox hunting ban.....

Energy and Climate Change is now part of Business which is Greg Clark who appears to be a moderate and keen on a "low carbon economy"

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Things really are surreal at the moment:

a dense loner

• forum hero
Yes that is democracy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal