UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357871 times)

rich d

• forum hero
#5450 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 07, 2015, 02:04:35 pm
My mate plays for County in defense, first time I've seen him in a full match on TV for years, I bet he's gutted it was live on TV. He got well and truly skinned several times including their second goal. It looked like the sort of match where the league side were always onto a hiding to nothing. However Salford were easily the better side and deserved the win.
But more importantly Leeds are winning against Huddersfield 3 nil   :dance1:- still time to mess it up though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5451 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 07, 2015, 02:14:59 pm
Is that a manager score Rich? ;)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#5452 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 07, 2015, 11:40:57 pm
Amazing afternoon at Rotherham today - 3-0 up at half time and completely dominant. Second half we went 4-0 up and then an amazing strike from their on loan player from Man City (Barker I think his name was) and followed up by a second shortly afterwards to make it 4-2 but then Daryl Murphy got his hattrick to make it 5-2. Best I have seen the mighty Tractor Boys play since the 4th round FA Cup march against Sheffield United and Joe Royle was in charge then with Darren Bent and Darren Ambrose in the side amongst others. Best of all though was the atmosphere in the away end - so bloody good to be a part of such a syked crew! 

:icon_beerchug:

YYFY!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5453 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 09, 2015, 12:11:32 pm

TBH, it was one of the most entertaining footy matches I've seen on TV in ages. Refreshing - harsh tackles - normal people playing not mega stars etc... Judging by the comments from folk I follow on twitter that was the consensus too..

Absolutely, I think Jenas' commentary did it a disservice though- the standard way the commentators cover these matches is the classic accentuate one teams good points/ ignore everything else method, but Jenas just took it to almost wrestling commentary levels of hyperbole.

We can see that we're watching a low-quality (but massively entertaining) football match so it's just embarrassing to have someone describing the better moments of play as if he's watching vintage Maradona clips. I think at least part of it is down to him simply not having the vocabulary to describe football at this level and to be fair he does have zero experience of it.

I would have loved to have seen/ heard some of the much-missed football league show involved in these programs- it's their area of expertise after all. Jenas was marvelling at players getting straight up after hard tackles and phoning clubs themselves for trails and it would have been great to hear Steve or Leroy pointing out that that's simply what happens in lower divisions.

I also thought it was good that the BBC had Wright, Sinclair and Jenas working on the show (much as Wright annoys me a litte by wanting to interrupt all the time!) - which made a change from the white middle aged bloke profile a certain major football TV rights holder tends to hold...

:agree: Wright's my favourite.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5454 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 09, 2015, 04:43:07 pm
Some follow up on the Chelsea fans rant about the scouser Scum.

Seems he was a Lawyer - and has now been sacked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11983789/Corporate-lawyer-sacked-for-calling-Liverpool-fans-Scouse-scum.html

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#5455 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 09, 2015, 05:45:19 pm

But more importantly Leeds are winning against Huddersfield 3 nil   :dance1:- still time to mess it up though.
arse

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5456 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 10, 2015, 11:35:07 am

I would have loved to have seen/ heard some of the much-missed football league show involved in these programs

Watched Sunday's FA Cup highlights show last night and it had Steve and Maneeeesh.  :great:

petejh

• forum hero
#5457 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 10, 2015, 02:58:56 pm
Some follow up on the Chelsea fans rant about the scouser Scum.

Seems he was a Lawyer - and has now been sacked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11983789/Corporate-lawyer-sacked-for-calling-Liverpool-fans-Scouse-scum.html

Sucks to be him. Lawyers  ::)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5458 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2015, 09:18:52 pm
Much as I think Brendan Rogers is a decent chap, my analysis that it was a mistake to replace him may not, in the fullness of time, prove to be the correct one.

petejh

• forum hero
#5459 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2015, 09:35:23 pm
Decent chap yes. Now overshadowed and put in context by a genuinely superb chap.

Sturridge, Henderson, Coutinho to return; young squad players blooming; previously jaded Chan and Lucas flourishing; they're demolishing sides away and digging in at home. YYFY

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#5460 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2015, 11:08:27 pm
I'm still in mild shock that origi managed to find the net 3 times... What a fantastic 2nd goal!

Really hope Sturridge can manage more than a couple of games without getting crocked again and there may be a shot at the top 4.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5461 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 03, 2015, 09:54:06 am
Has anyone considered that instead of being some great man manager etc.. blah blah.. Jurgen Klopp might be a shit hot chemist - and has added his secret happy/motivation pills to the team?

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
#5462 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 03, 2015, 03:13:06 pm
amazing performance last night - loved how Klopp gets the easiest draw for the next round...

Then queries if its fixed as the balls came out 1,2,3,4

Doesn't miss a trick  :bow:

tomtom

• forum hero
#5463 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 04, 2015, 10:14:51 am
Just been reminded of this: Pure gold....

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5464 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 04, 2015, 10:40:17 pm
Chopper Socrates....having trounced England's midfield trio of Bentham Locke and Hobbes....very good. Should have played Mill out on the left wing and Scruton on the right IMO.  Berkeley would have got that goal disallowed, be sure of it.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#5465 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 14, 2015, 09:41:45 pm
Listening to the Leicester vs Chelsea match on't wireless...

What a good game! And a very topsy turvy season this year. Who'd have thought Leicester and Chelsea would be in the positions they are? Similar to how the table is looking in the UKB Premier League... What's happened Todd??

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5466 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 14, 2015, 11:34:21 pm
 :agree: I love how Chelsea - Sunderland on Saturday is (almost) a relegation six pointer.

This was brilliant too:   :lol:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#5467 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 15, 2015, 12:59:05 am
Listening to the Leicester vs Chelsea match on't wireless...

What a good game! And a very topsy turvy season this year. Who'd have thought Leicester and Chelsea would be in the positions they are? Similar to how the table is looking in the UKB Premier League... What's happened Todd??

I haven't made change to the team since week 2....  No time for it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Go on Leicester!  :icon_beerchug: :great:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
 :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

We all live in a blue and white Kop
A blue and white Kop
A blue and white Kop*

to the tune of Yellow Submarine

* demolished in 2002

:beer2: :beer2:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
 ;D  :great: Now the landscape of football has changedTM I look forward to Mansfield lifting the trophy in four years time.

My favourite bit of received wisdom that's been flipped on its head is that your manager has to be an awful conniving bastard to win anything. What a guy Ranieri is.

At Christmas I was at a shopping centre calendar stall in Nottingham and a Forest tracksuit-clad Dad called out to his son "They've got Chelsea here... is that who you support this week?" His son, completely missing the barb, replied "No! Have they got Les'tahr?" The poor man looked at me in utter despair.  :lol: I imagine his plight isn't unique.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Strangely my first football match shortly followed me telling my dad I wanted to be a man u fan (back in 1999).  :rtfm:
I got taken to a huddersfield match I think against bury to the terraces of the old leeds road. I remember standing on a pallet and pissing against the wall by the grate in the mens.

Nothing is better than a shit hole stadium with beer and a pies.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
At Christmas I was at a shopping centre calendar stall in Nottingham and a Forest tracksuit-clad Dad called out to his son "They've got Chelsea here... is that who you support this week?" His son, completely missing the barb, replied "No! Have they got Les'tahr?" The poor man looked at me in utter despair.  :lol: I imagine his plight isn't unique.

That's just shit parenting though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal