UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357791 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Quick recommend if you fancy wasting some time at work:

http://www.statsbomb.com/

More metrics and minutia than you can shake a stick at.  The latest podcast is worth a listen as are the shooting reports for the "top" teams.  Interesting to see that Suarez's current scoring rate defies all their models - he's scoring a huge amount more, yet is taking the same number of shots, and from the same zones.  The conclusion is that he's either developed magic powers or they're forecasting an almighty reversion-to-the-mean!  Also, somewhat surprisingly Fulham and Cardiff are far and away the worst teams statistically (shot ratios, shots conceded etc).  The models suggest Crystal Palace are just a bit unlucky and have underlying quality that should let them survive.  Not sure if I believe much of it (I reckon you could use different, equally justifiable metrics and arrive at different conclusions) but interesting.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Nice link... I'm now hooked.   I feel sorry for colleagues on Monday...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
 :lol: .

Should be a good league cup final. Rooting for the men in red and white stripes but hard to see!  :thumbsup:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
This is the season that keeps on giving.  I'm glad we're playing Sunderland in the final, they're a real bogey team for City and we don't have to worry about Red knobheads punching women and kids on Wembley Way....

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I'm a Sunderland fan, and proud. That was emotional, and also a great display of poor penalty taking. I haven't been to London in years, yet it appears I'm off there twice in a fortnight now!!!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Moyes will focus on the positives: now they can focus properly on avoiding relegation, every cloud....

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Not been to the new Wembley yet - looking forward to visiting Londonshire

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Have fun guys wembley was awesome on my trip
When I went if a little hot (40°c on pitchside thermometer).

My advice is get down early and get food/beer outside the ground unless you are a very wealthy business owner :whistle: as its fucking expensive in there

tomtom

• forum hero
Have fun guys wembley was awesome on my trip
When I went if a little hot (40°c on pitchside thermometer).

My advice is get down early and get food/beer outside the ground unless you are a very wealthy business owner :whistle: as its fucking expensive in there

Wemberley is cool - (went there for Hulls play off final) - but expensive! And strangely atmosphereless - probably as all the fans get mixed up. +1 for what Grubes said.. also I parked my car in Northampton (or somewhere near there) and got a direct train into the Wemberley station..

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Personally I would not consider driving mainly as about 50 of the coaches for us and sheff turned up half way through the first half due to an accident on the motorway.

Not worth the risk when match tickets feel like you testicles in a vice. I even got interviewed by a random bloke about ticket prices. Turns out he worked for the star and I was quoted in the paper on the monday under the heading: Outraged Fans rage war on football league over ticket prices.

Decent atmosphere for us but it was a yorkshire derby.

Dolly

• forum hero

Decent atmosphere for us but it was a yorkshire derby.

And you beat them hehe

I really enjoyed last night's match. It was great end to end/then lots more Sunderland. Great drama in extra time and then the penalties.
I texted Graeme YESS after Sunderland took the lead only to text 4 seconds later FUCK NOO.
At least they got there in the end

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I like how the football media, generally refusing to accept the truth that Man U are genuinely pretty shite at the moment, keep downgrading their chances of success lower and lower. This competition had been rebranded as "their best chance of a trophy" (despite the fact that City would probably have done them 5-0 in the final) what now?

Well done Sunderland!  ;D

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Gollum is in trouble. 

The fans of the other premier league clubs are taking great pleasure in seeing them struggle, kind of, now you know how it feels!!   :clap2:

I like Mata but everytime I see him I think of Jaun Sheet on that TV ad.  Cant help it.   :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
I dont think ManU are that much worse than last season (squad wise - or how they're playing) - its more that last season the other top clubs were all in turmoil/new managerness/weaker etc.. This season we have a resurgent Jose led Chelski, for some unknown reason the Gooners have clicked (which has been on the cards for seasons but not quite happened), Liverpool have adjusted to Rogers and have Suarez.. and Everton (sans moyes :) ) are knocking very strongly on the door.. and of course ManCity are now ruthless under Pellegrini. I suspect in 2-3 years time most neutrals will start to dislike them as they win most things (as per ManU of old) but for the moment I love the way he's going balls out in all competitions (which is helped by the strength of his squad) and I think its fantastic they don't just settle for a one or two goal lead (as per Chelski)..

Of course ManU are hampered by VanPirsholes being injured (missing his 35 goals from last season!) and the Call-Granny lover being out as well - but I don't buy this whole 'club in crisis' thing.. Its just everyone else got better~!

Anyway, 606 is now full of moaning ManU fans from London instead of moaning Gooners from London now...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I disagree. Redface had been papering over the cracks (caused by the Glazers lack of investment in players) for a while.

The "aura" of playing Man U, especially at Old Trafford, was a huge part of their recent success as it affected the mentality of opposing players and managers and also the officials. Everyone knows what a big part psychology plays in all sport and most teams used to go to Old Trafford hoping to scrape a point. This meant that tactics were changed accordingly and players started matches on the back foot. They also got edgy when in front or hanging on for a point as "Fergie time" meant you almost expected them to score in 90(+6).

Once it became apparent that an average side could go there, play their own game and win (West Brom), the floodgates opened.

This isn't a blip caused by a couple of injuries (RVP was always going to get crocked and they were lucky with him last season), it's a squad that needs massive investment to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea. Yes I agree, they (and Arsenal) have improved a lot this season but I see it more that a poor Man U side was able to win last season because the rest were all under performing (I think European performances this season and last bear this out too). Now that the others have returned to the standard you'd expect of such sides, Man U can't compete.

Mata is a good signing but I think they need a lot more than just him to turn things around.

I'll probably be proved wrong, I hope not though.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Jasper's on the money.  I laughed after the first Cup leg when Sunderland were holding the lead and Andy Cole said "Well they have to go to Old Trafford" which meant something three years ago but now it's a place where clubs are thinking they can pick up three points. 

I'm hoping that City can avoid becoming the "most hated team" because of our support and our manager who is a completely class act.  I sure we'll attract the ire of plastics but I think most football fans can appreciate what we're doing and the way were going about it especially the way we're playing and the teams that the manager is turning out giving great entertainment and value for fans and neutrals alike.  He gave an interview yesterday talking about how football is about scoring goals and you can't argue with that.

Frankly I don't give a fuck about Utd anymore now that the Govan Piss Can is gone and I'm enjoying watching Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool play good football.  This season is far from over and I'm loving it, even if we don't win anything.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
City v Chelsea
Arsenal v Liverpool
The Lads v Southampton

Interesting ties

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#4992 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 01, 2014, 02:30:38 pm
 :dance1:  :dance1:  :dance1:

Three on the trot!

gme

• forum hero
#4993 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 01, 2014, 02:36:02 pm
I said last night I was worried about it. We were shit. Worse performance of the season 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4994 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 01, 2014, 11:35:16 pm
It's the Brighton influence. Poyet and now Bridcutt.

Graeme, you owe me a pint or six.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#4996 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 06, 2014, 04:20:26 pm
As I said on twitter I almost feel sorry for Leeds .. Then it gets worse and I laugh more

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#4997 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 09, 2014, 05:55:36 pm
As I will be saying to Patta when he gets back from the Tor, I almost feel sorry for ManU.. Then it gets worse and I laugh more

Fixed that for you  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#4998 Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 09, 2014, 05:58:24 pm
Oof!

Looking forward to going to old Trafford now!

(Oh and Saturdays result was good too :) )

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal