UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357790 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Bollox we're live on Sky against the Posh so unless its all over by kick off then its all bound to go wrong

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Wednesday are the classic example of how crazy this division has been. A few weeks ago I was convinced you were safe and had you held on to that lead against Leeds you'd have been up to 9th or something ridiculous. A couple of bad results, back in the mire....

Dolly

• forum hero
It is mad isn't it ?
Having lost against L**ds we've just drawn 2. Grr. If I just think of the games I can remember that we should have won instead of drawing (never mind the ones I can't remember) that would be 8 points more and I'd be thinking, wow we're only 3 points off the play offs.
Such is the mind of a football fan ...

tomtom

• forum hero
I have changed my Avatar in some bizarre omen based hope that the Foxes can win tonight...

C'mon Nige...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Rest easy tomtom, I've been wall buildingfucking up my garage, tools and materials all day (must remember goldern rule of DIY - measure twice, cut once  :oops: :rtfm: etc) so not had time to look at form (noty that it counts for much in this league), no jinxing bets will be placed or have even been considered.  Have been convinced for a while that you'll be up tonight when Watford don't get what they need though, it's the sort of thing that happens in football.  And even if I'm wrong it's still in your hands.

And Dolly, you could be safe by the time you play, losses for Wolves ( :please:) and Barnsley could make it all academic (in which case you could throw the match and ensure Wolves are relegated, that'd be lovely).  Could be nervy otherwise.

Dolly

• forum hero
I know - that's why its such a weird day tomorrow.
Would like Wolves to go down though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4706 Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
April 27, 2013, 08:04:17 pm
Hull. #facepalm

Dolly

• forum hero
Same for bloody Wednesday FFS

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I'm still in slight shock from Liverpool minus Suarez giving that french team up north such a hiding!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
both hull and wednesday let me down  :spank:

Okay what are the odds on hudds to go down might be worth a fiver.

17 Blackburn  45 -7 57
18 Huddersfield  45 -20 57
19 Sheff Wed  45 -10 55
20 Millwall  44 -10 55
21 Peterborough  45 -8 54
22 Barnsley  45 -14 54
23 Wolves  45 -12 51
24 Bristol City  45 -22 41

Fixtures:
Huddersfield V barnsley
Weds v Middlesborough
Derby v Millwall
Brighton V Wolves - Wolves need to win by 4 goals to have any chance of staying up
Palace V Peterborough

On another note what a game at brentford.
I spotted this fixture last week and I thought that looks good but I never expected it to go like that
93rd min pen save then cleared to the striker on the half way line. Break down the over end score a goal and win the league.
18 seconds from heartbreak to joy. I love football!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The permutations are endless and it's only fitting for so much to be going down to the last game after the most mental season ever. I can even enjoy it with no pressure on Brighton after Saturday.

Which, incidentally was the best day out at football I've ever had. The nipper had a fantastic time and we met loads of sound fans (Barnsley, Hull, Leeds, Wednesday and Brighton) on our travels. 2000 Brighton at Elland road, 3 red cards and a cracking last minute winner to seal a playoff place. Amazing.

Big thanks to El Hadj Diouf for being as reliable as ever. He was Leeds' best player, won the penalty to equalise (and reduce us to ten men), scored the penalty which meant it looked as if they would go on and win it (we'd been struggling with 11 v 10 so 10 v 10 looked ominous), and then did this:

https://twitter.com/ImEllisEvento/status/328488236886405120/photo/1

He'd been getting the usual abuse from us the whole game ("Shit Balotelli" etc, nothing racist as Warnock alluded to on The Football League Show though) and decided to run 50 yards to celebrate in front of the Brighton fans by cupping his ears, making various gestures and then grabbing his cock, right in front of the linesman who promptly advised the ref to send him off. What a complete tit.  ;D

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Looks like a good final day

I will be Sat/Standing nervously at the town ground praying we don not have a repeat off Huddersfield V Birmingham from 2002
I still remember that game huge attendance and the whole ground was in a stunned silence at full time. you could hear a pin drop for about a minute while everyone tried to work out what had happened.

Right I checked huddersfield are 26/1 to go down definately worth a fiver. Last time round we were 13/1 and went down.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Premier League club's accounts dissected by The Swiss Rambler:

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/show-me-money.html

Excellent as ever.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Looks like a good final day

I will be Sat/Standing nervously at the town ground praying we don not have a repeat off Huddersfield V Birmingham from 2002
I still remember that game huge attendance and the whole ground was in a stunned silence at full time. you could hear a pin drop for about a minute while everyone tried to work out what had happened.

Right I checked huddersfield are 26/1 to go down definately worth a fiver. Last time round we were 13/1 and went down.

Three of the clubs behind you are away from home including Peterborough away at Palace who are trying to finish as high in the playoffs as possible.  It's likely that Palace will win that match meaning that a draw is good enough for both you and Barnsley.  I'd expect a slow start with the game only picking up if news from Croydon means it has to.

Millwall, Posh, Barnsley & Wednesday will all have to win to relegate you (depending on millwall vs palarse tonight), a 4-way on them pays 72-1 rather than 26-1 on straight relegation*

*don't gamble, it's a mugs game

tomtom

• forum hero
Saturday will be hell for me.. and I've just found out that the Hull Cardiff game will be on Sky. Noooooo.. thats the kiss of death for us. I'll also be away at the inlaws in Norfolk - away from any form of internet and limited 2g phone shizzle. Which I was glad of - NOW I WILL HAVE TO FIND A PUB WITH THE MATCH ON AND SLOWLY DIE WATCHING IT...

Still, clutching at straws, it looks like Koren will be back from injury... and we have no more chances - so the players know they have to perform and step up this time. No second or third chances now. Win or bust. Also, what Cardiff will turn up? Its unlikely they will 'park the bus' as they dont need to win.. similarly, if we close them down, start kicking them a bit will they think - well we dont have to kill ourselves here and just let it happen?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Peterborough away at Palace who are trying to finish as high in the playoffs as possible.  It's likely that Palace will win that match

Palace haven't won since 5th March:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/crystal-palace/results

Tonight's game v Millwall is massive for them and is probably the last place (after The Amex) where they'd fancy going on this run of form. If they don't win then I can see them bottling it v Peterborough as well and either dropping out of the playoffs completely or scraping it on goal difference. Their fans are already shitting it about facing Brighton in the playoffs but they haven't got there yet!

COME ON MILLWALL.  ;D

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
oops, thought they won last week.  I'll get me coat

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
everyone at work has no faith in town. All expecting the worst
Gonna pick my ticket up some time on friday already worried.

Barnsley have a habit of doing the job at our place when town cant afford to lose.

tomtom

• forum hero
So will anyone on here not be clenching their cheeks on Saturday (so to speak) apart from Jasper, who only really need clench one.. (BHAFC are defo in playoffs non?)...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Brighton are the only team guaranteed a playoff place so yeah, I can relax.

tomtom

• forum hero

Apart from us - and Watford ;)

I might tape up my fingernails. Or get really really pissed the night before, so I'm so hungover I dont give a shit, and just lie there gurgling in my own vomit next to the radio..

rich d

• forum hero
Mid table crapness from Leeds this year. No arse clenching needed this weekend, well not football related anyway.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Apart from us - and Watford ;)

That's the point. Neither are guaranteed a playoff place as one or the other is going straight up.

Or get really really pissed the night before, so I'm so hungover I dont give a shit, and just lie there gurgling in my own vomit next to the radio..

Get really pissed before the game then you wont know/care what's going on.

Dolly

• forum hero
I'm joining the nervous group on Saturday, as it could all still go badly wrong.
I actually want Millwall to lose tonight for the reason that its one more team who can go down instead of us (if you see what I mean)
I haven't done a properly controlled study, but I've found that on the rare occasions when I've had a few before a big game it does take the edge off the nerves but after the match I'm just wiped out. I spent a couple of great hours in the various bars around Cardiff before the play off final 8 or 9 years ago. Watched every second of the game glued to it then was asleep before we'd even got out of Cardiff, completely drained

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal