UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358206 times)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Re the Sheffield Wednesday vs Leeds Utd incident, I can't imagine the atmosphere was helped by a 8pm Friday evening kickoff - plenty of time for morons to get pissed in the town centre and fester grievances (local derbies - especially Leeds ones - are often midday weekend kickoffs).  The atmosphere was reportedly pretty poisonous in Sheffield all evening and the crowd had less families than normal - all sounded a bit "80s".

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Re: Leeds shit

Okay everyone who has read this thread knows my love of leeds ...
But this incident is a bit beyond a joke now.
I spoke to a mate (leeds fan) about it last night he was in the wednesday end with some mate who are owls. He says it was kicking off before the goal as Wednesday lot started singing about galatasary after dave jones had been called a peado for all the match.

He said things were being thrown by both sets of fans knobhead hooligans. Then leeds scored and it went mental.

And lets face it kirkland was a bit of a dick about the incident, remember the celtic incident when the fan lightly tapped the keeper (barthez?) he chased him then fell. Didn't he get a match ban for that?

I have been to these types of matches a lot. No one is innocent but this is blown out of proportion. To be honest I think Dave jones is responsible for that.
One dick head runs on the pitch and slaps kirkland and he plays it up like he’s been properly punched out.

Dolly

• forum hero
85 seats, 4 urinals, the mesh from a kiosk. All acknowledged by Leeds who are paying for replacements.
Destroyed hoardings ripped up and thrown not included in the cost.
The work of "one dick head"

rich d

• forum hero
Dolly does dave jones get a similar amount of paedo chants from other away fans? It really seemed to have got to him on the interviews I saw, or do you reckon it as a result of the whole atmosphere and throwing chairs etc then topped off by Kirkland getting attacked? Spoke to a couple of mates who were there (in the wednesday end) and they said it was like the late 80s and that it felt like there was trouble brewing before the match. They were a bit surprised as Leeds don't have that much of a past history of trouble with Wednesday. They both reckon the friday night kick off and all day drinking contributed to it.

Dolly

• forum hero
No he doesn't Rich. I haven't seen Leeds fans like that before.
I agree there isn't that much history of trouble with Leeds like there has been with the Blunts @ Bramhall Lane.
It does seem daft that it was on a Friday night when plenty of people had chance to drink all day. Whilst the FA, SKY and both clubs can't be responsible for people's behaviour, surely there is some degree of culpability on their parts for arranging if then.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Dave Jones goes "Bonkers in the Nut"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20020354

"People that go to games that are disgusted, they're the ones that should walk out and police their own fans," Jones told BBC Radio 5 live.

So. Either telling people to risk getting assaulted yourself, or condoning vigilanteism.

Way to go, Dave!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
All I can say is this all looks bad for town V leeds again on sky on a friday night.
The police had originally moved it to 12.30pm saturday

However there is a history. Painted statue. Pubs done over in both places etc. Last time there were riots in town centre.

Speaking of which tickets have just gone on sale Off to buy mine :)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
The money the clubs are getting from Sky must be fucking huge for them to be able to convince the local police to let these games go ahead.  Surely it can be the only reason they go ahead, no way would WMP let Blues play wolves or villa of an evening, league cup draws aside.  Is it basically Sky promoting violence as the games they're picking, well supported, local rivalries, are just waiting to kick off?

Jones used to get those chants a lot 10ish years ago but it died a death.  And anyone suggesting Kirkland made a meal of it is deluded, the guy came from nowhere and took him completely by surprise.  Staying down was probably the best thing he could do to try and calm things down, surely what his manager would have wanted, given they'd just conceded, the atmosphere etc.  Last thing he'd have wanted is the game restarting with his players all at sea.

Good that's he been found and dealt with so quickly, shame it's not longer.  Anything from Leeds on a life ban?

rich d

• forum hero
He's already banned from all football grounds in the uk. Banned from travelling to the same location as leeds away matches etc. Has been found in breach of this a couple of times and had his ban extended. There used to be an automatic lifetime ban from leeds united if you got a banning order from the courts, not sure how it stands now. It'd be a good gesture but doesn't look like the current bans are working if some twat really wants to turn up and cause trouble.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
And now news of another vacancy at the BBC…

Jackie Fullerton (BBC N.I sports commentator) has weighed into the debate on Radio Ulster claiming that black players need to 'toughen up' with regards to the comparatively mild racist abuse they receive in England.

[Source: WSC]

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
He's already banned from all football grounds in the uk.....doesn't look like the current bans are working if some twat really wants to turn up and cause trouble.

What i find amazing isn't that Aaron Cawley got in, but that he got out.  He was on facebook soon afterwards, admitting to the assault, saying that he was very drunk and wasn't entirely sure how he got home.  How on earth did he leave the ground with the stewards and several thousand Sheff Weds fans presumably eager to "have a word"?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Finally some common sense kicks in

The Police overule Sky:
http://www.htafc.com/news/article/club-news-police-ask-for-leeds-change-449699.aspx
Quote from: Huds Cheif exec
“On 24 October we received a letter from the Assistant Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police informing the Club that following events at the game between Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United on 19 October, the force conducted a further ‘threat assessment’ and came to the conclusion that the ‘threat of disorder’ at our Friday evening game had now ‘substantially increased’.
“As a result, WYP requested the game to return to the original date of Saturday 1 December with a 12.30pm kick-off. We immediately informed the Football League and a meeting of the Safety Advisory Group was held to consider the request.
“Obviously the safety of supporters is paramount to Huddersfield Town and we have to be led by the decision of West Yorkshire Police on this matter.
"It was clear there would be serious ramifications arising from the disorder and so this does not come as a surprise. Unfortunately his actions have now affected the wider game and our Club. The game will no longer be televised by Sky TV and that will cost Huddersfield Town £80,000.
"However the finances are clearly a side issue - the safety of supporters and the wider community must always be the first priority and always take precedent. Whilst disappointing, this is a sensible and unavoidable decision in the current climate.

[quote="Ass. Cheif Constable hudds]"The number one priority for West Yorkshire Police at all football games is the safety of everyone concerned.
"We want to ensure that all matches are safe and enjoyable for all supporters and I would like to thank the football club to agreeing to our request.
"I would also apologise to anyone inconvenienced by this decision but stress again that it was in the best interests of everyone going to the football match."[/quote]

I think this is the right decision by West yorkshire police. Sod the money our chairman is loaded. I think the match will be better because of it now.

rich d

• forum hero
Sensible decision by all involved Grubes and enough notice to not mess up too many plans. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
First I have heard of this - the Duncan Jenkins parody tweet thing and what would appear to be a bit of an over reaction by LFC's Director of Communications.

The man behind the Duncan Jenkins blog gives his version of events here:o
And...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1190916/liverpool-apologise-to-fan-over-alleged-threats?cc=5739

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Reading vs Arsenal....

5-7!!!!!!!!!

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Just how shit are PL®-obsessed SKY television?

All those games to chose from and they show Reading v Arsenal.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not your usual game of football....

:slap:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:16:19 am by slackline »

tomtom

• forum hero
So Clattenberg is alleged to have said "Monkey"....

Tricky one this for all concerned... very context dependant - and if he did say it he probably should have known better whatever the context.....

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#4495 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 01, 2012, 08:46:26 am
Can Arsenal storm Fortress Valley Parade?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#4496 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 01, 2012, 08:53:46 am
Great draw for Bradford.
I would love to see some of the players faces as they walk into the shed that is the away dressing room :)

rich d

• forum hero
#4497 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 01, 2012, 09:22:22 am
So we've got chelsea at home and bratfud have got arsenal at home. Double giant killing and the yorkshire dream team final could still be happening!! Looking at the results so far it's a possibility, especially if Bratfud can take them to penalties.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4498 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 04, 2012, 07:35:15 pm
The entries for "Cunt of the Year" gather apace!

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4499 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 05, 2012, 08:09:26 am
FAO Grumpy

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/ipswich-town-finds-manager-to-keep-morale-low-2012110247513

Ipswich Town finds manager to keep morale low
02-11-12

MICK McCarthy has been given the awful job of managing Ipswich Town after proving to be impressively funereal.

The club’s board released previous manager Paul Jewell after his chirpy Scouse optimism was found ill-suited to the team’s unhappy culture

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal