UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358186 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Really enjoyed watching the final. It's the first time my son has actually been interested enough in a game to watch the whole thing without getting distracted so that was good but I also thought it was a fascinating contest.

20 mins in I said that Chelsea would win. They rode their luck but Bayern looked as if they'd run out of ideas pretty early on and were so desperate to score they were snatching at everything (Gomez in particular). Schweinsteiger looked out of sorts and was kept out of the game really well and while Robben and Ribery had plenty of the ball they very rarely looked like doing any damage with it. Chelsea executed their plan really well and Cahill showed that he can not only chuck himself in front of stuff just as well as EBJT but is also a better player (and as far as I know not a total cunt which helps).

Always thought that Chelsea might get one on the break and even when Bayern scored so late I said to Raf there was plenty of time for them to equalise. After that Cech and confidence made the difference. Robben's penalty was shocking and easy for such a good keeper and that set the tone. As he said afterwards, Cech went the right way on every penalty and if you do that you're going to save a few. It was no surprise that Olic or Schweinsteiger missed as they both looked terrified whereas Drogba looked 100% certain to score.

Add in the hilarity of Terry trying to hijack the party after changing into his kit (including shin pads the fucking child) but failing as Fat Frank was the only one you could see lift the trophy and it was a pretty entertaining watch all round.

Congrats Duma.

Duma

• forum hero
Drogba looked 100% certain to score.

Add in the hilarity of Terry trying to hijack the party after changing into his kit (including shin pads the fucking child) but failing as Fat Frank was the only one you could see lift the trophy and it was a pretty entertaining watch all round.

Congrats Duma.

Cheers Jas, how Drogba kept so cool for his penalty I don't know. Prob his last touch for us too, fine way to go out. Terry managed to piss me off despite not being on the field with the kit bullshit but as you say, failed to steal the show. My boss has said less than 10 words so far today I reckon...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Yep nice one Duma, must admit I started off wanting Bayern to win but soon caught myself backing Chelsea.

Re Terry, odious cunt that he is, he's been part of Chelsea's Champions League campaign for nine (I think) seasons, been to a final, many semis, etc, experienced a lot of heartbreak losses (Barcelona anyone, ouch).  It's 13 matches to win it in one season so he's played getting on for 100 games overall and maybe 12 this season.  Cahill signed in January and has played 5, 6, 7?  It takes a squad to win the competition, if you've played a part even if you don't play in the final you deserve the chance to celebrate the victory, even if you are John Terry.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Of course you do and had he worn his suit, waited in line and lifted the cup when given his turn then (even though it was John Terry) I'd have had some respect for him. What he did was cringe-inducingly embarrassing. Even by his standards.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yeah well done Chelsea and congrats Duma.What a swan song and career high for Drogba.

Even the 5 live commentators at the York - Luton game made the "John Terry is making his way over to the ground to help lift the trophy" gag yesterday.

Two weekends of very exciting football.  Somehow I can't see the Olympics and the Euros topping the Premiership and the CL for entertainment this year.

tomtom

• forum hero
Olympics? Are they on this year? Which city?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Should give Chris Hughton the credit he deserves in Chelsea's victory, Blues draw at Stamford Bridge (which saw Chelsea come from behind and be the team lucky to salvage a draw) was the final straw and led to AVB's dismissal.  In came RDM, they absolutely creamed us in the replay and have gone on from there.  So Chelsea need to have a long hard think about who deserves the winners medals, it's not always as obvious as it might appear. Maybe those Blue & White ribbons were partly ours after all.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Maybe Chris should've had shinpads and blue kit on in Munich on Saturday night too?  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
Maybe Chris should've had shinpads and blue kit on in Munich on Saturday night too?  :)

Was he wearing it for David Mellor?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Balotelli Nike Ad

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Amazed that Butland makes the standby list, although a Blues player and has worked with the new England GK coach, Dave Watson, a lot he still a 19 year old having only played at Cheltenham in L2.

And now Ruddy's bust a finger and he's in the full squad.  Truly unbelievable, 3rd choice for Birmingham and now England.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Also means that cover for Hart consists only of keepers who played in the lower leagues last season, Green in the Championship and Butland from L2.  Lean time for English keepers, remember when it was impossible to decide between Clemence and Shilton and Joe Corrigan couldn't get a game despite being awesome.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Crazy isn't it. We have one of the best in the World and the next best are second division players.  :shrug:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
England u21 keeper on display at wembely tomorrow, available for a few flood light bulbs and a bag of balls ...

Alex Smithies showed real promise a couple of years ago being in th England U21 at 17. He got a bad injury last year and hes not the same keeper. I would have more confidence in Ian Bennett who is 40 and was only ever sign on a 1 year support role for smithies in goal than "Englands next young keeper".
Saying that he made two brilliant saves in the last few mins of the play off semi.

Did I mention its wembley tomorrow ...
not nervous at all ...
Honest ... 
:sick:

On the bright side I get to go to new wembly finally after 18 years since I went to old wembley (I was 7), we lost,

It will be a good day out if nothing else ...
 :unsure:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:08:16 am by Grubes »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
There's Foster of course but he doesn't want to sit on the bench.  But despite being on loan to West Brom, and no doubt about to move, he's currently our player too.

tomtom

• forum hero
Amazed that Butland makes the standby list, although a Blues player and has worked with the new England GK coach, Dave Watson, a lot he still a 19 year old having only played at Cheltenham in L2.

And now Ruddy's bust a finger and he's in the full squad.  Truly unbelievable, 3rd choice for Birmingham and now England.

Fuck me, I thought you said BULLARD then.. not Butland... phew...

In other East Yorkcestershire related newsworthy items... it looks like Hull might be getting Red Nose jnr (Bruce) as our new Manager...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Hull-City-Tigers-narrow-boss-search-candidates/story-16183165-detail/story.html

Which may all be bollocks as I suspect he'll get better offers elsewhere, but apparently the bookies have stopped taking bets on him coming (which is a sign... that bookies have stopped taking bets...) ;)

Still, we'll probably end up with Jimmy Whoisthat, who formally managed Snetterton Wanderers B team etc... Or Matteo Rhodriguez (Welsh Mexican..) who was an assistant manager for Dynamo Leaping Dragonfly in the Z league..

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Bizarre....

Alex Smithies, age 22, 112 L1 appearances, playing for England u21s.
Jack Butland, 19, 24 L2 appearances, in the full squad.
 :shrug:

Ian Bennett's a legend, spent many years with us.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Still, we'll probably end up with Jimmy Whoisthat, who formally managed Snetterton Wanderers B team etc... Or Matteo Rhodriguez (Welsh Mexican..) who was an assistant manager for Dynamo Leaping Dragonfly in the Z league..

I'd rather have either of them than dinosaur Bruce!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I'm amazed that after that article following his Sunderland sacking that he'd ever be considered for another job. Would have thought all clubs would be looking for somebody more progressive, the fact that he keeps being mentioned for jobs maybe just proves that clubs are at the whim of agents.

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm amazed that after that article following his Sunderland sacking that he'd ever be considered for another job. Would have thought all clubs would be looking for somebody more progressive, the fact that he keeps being mentioned for jobs maybe just proves that clubs are at the whim of agents.

or desperate...

still, if he comes it'll be good news for the drinking establishments of Hull ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Exactly. How can clubs be so short sighted? Mind you it's only like the media mentioning Hoddle as a possibility for the England job a few weeks ago. Yeah good idea, how about Keegan as assistant and Schteve McLaren as media coordinator? Fucking unbelievable.

Sounds like Villa had the right idea looking at someone like Solskjaer (hands off Poyet though you cunts).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Hey you know what, Hull's practically in Norway, maybe his wife would be happy there rather than Brum?

tomtom

• forum hero
I dont know... the clubs in an odd place at the moment.. season ticket renewals have only just gone out, and up 10-15%. Mine will go up to £460. I know plenty of folk who are not re-newing this year...

In some ways I think we need a big 'name' manager - the club needs to gain some momentum - something to gee the fans up a bit (and the players). Though I wouldnt want to come and manage the club given how the owners dealt with Barmby etc..

tomtom

• forum hero
Hey you know what, Hull's practically in Norway, maybe his wife would be happy there rather than Brum?

Yeah, in the same way Manchesters practically in Madrid ;)

OGS would be an interesting one.. in many ways Hulls a good club for an aspiring manager to come to.. a pretty good young squad, some money, good fan base.. lots of potential as they say..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal